RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed my 3 year restoration on my 1971 650 Yamaha. This is right from rebuilding the engine 1st oversize pistons, big valves, Barnett clutch. The frame and all parts such as side, double stands, swingarm, batterybox, has all been powder coated. I have obtained parts from Texas, Florida, California, and Japan! The interesting part to this is that in 1971, this was the biggest bike Yamaha made...31 years later, I once again have the biggest thing Yamaha makes. Both bikes run like a top. Take a look in my updated gallery for recent pictures. Hope you enjoy them.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Nice job on the 650, looks pretty clean!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the compliments. There was a lot of hard work. I bought it as only a frame and motor. I had to scrounge the rest of the parts. But it runs like brand new!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Talk about having a foot in the past. That 650 brings back many memories, although I was all about Suzukis back then. Still, that is a nice restoration. The Warrior looks good too! You must really have to make some adjustments when jumping from one bike to the other. Thirty years from now we will probably see some Warrior restorations that will bring back memories.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
30 years from now I just hope I can still get my leg over one.
Looks good, I allways had a soft spot for the 650. That color is pretty nostalgic though.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, the restoration was purely nostalgic! I had one when I was 19 years old, I guess its a way to bring back your youth. Yes a huge difference from one bike to the next, but for a little bike like the XS650, its got lots of jam!

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
This may sound perverse, but I like that 650 better. You must get alot of attention riding that. Very nice job!!! Now I understand your club name.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JP, you nailed that right on. Yes it usually brings the guys out of the woodwork that used to have one. I think the best compliment I get is when someone says,..."boy does that bring back memories" ..mainly because it does with me. My first bike was a Honda CB450, next was my Yami 650. Have always been a Yamaha man.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Nice job 7t. I'm another one for that bringing back memories. Had one of those, and a '72 and a '73. Back then I sold the Yamaha shop in Memphis custom parts at almost cost and they sold me bikes at almost cost. I sort of liked that arrangement.

Larry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts