RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #21
@Cheiko's Master did you find any damage or sharp edges at the socket area, or any reason for the damage? The point of cable strand separation seems odd, but figured I would ask. Also did you get the replacement cable yes? Is the cable route still stock?
My replacement Barnett Clutch Cable came in tonight so I'll go check on the bike tomorrow. The cable snapped a few blocks from my home. I had to push her on a residential side street to make sure she was safe. I'll do a proper inspection tomorrow.

I also ordered a clutch cable repair kit which I'll be leaving under the seat from now on.

Registered
Yep Stryder I knew growing up it seemed to attract fish. These days they say it does not have any fish oil and never did. No matter, I still like to think it used to. Dunno.

I bet the secret sauce will never be known at least in my lifetime, all I know is it works well and its so fast to zap the cable ends that I do it every oil change and even after washing the bike just because. Lube only works if its there making contact, right!
Hmmm it might be RP7 that has the fish oil. WD40 & RP7 are basically the same thing.馃槑馃槑馃悵

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #23
I might need my RSW membership revoked for the rest of the year......

PROBLEM RESOLVED!!!!
The nipple from the original clutch cable was still IN the socket, obstructing a perfect fit. Two months ago when I replaced the first clutch cable I felt that the nipple wasn't fitting perfectly. Problem was I was doing this in an open parking lot in +90 degree heat. It was HOT and super bright. With all the glare, I couldn't see any obstructions so I chalked that up to the clutch cable being an aftermarket product and had an oversized nipple to fit different types of lever sockets. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔 馃し鈥嶁檪锔 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Today was about 20 degrees cooler and I was in the shade. I first inspected the lever and all the edges - nothing. When I ran into the same problem, I double-checked the socket and there it was. I could barely see it. It was stuck in there real good. I popped that sucker out and installed the cable no problem. Had to readjust the clutch cover tho. I followed Bryan's YouTube so I think the measurements are good. I rode her home; shifting was smooth. I'll do a second readjustment in a couple days after riding for a bit if need be.

Thanks, everyone for your input and analysis. Very relieved that we discovered this problem. I couldn't handle having to deal with another gremlin.

Bryan's YouTube Clutch cable replacement

Super Moderator
I might need my RSW membership revoked for the rest of the year......

PROBLEM RESOLVED!!!!
The nipple from the original clutch cable was still IN the socket, obstructing a perfect fit. Two months ago when I replaced the first clutch cable I felt that the nipple wasn't fitting perfectly. Problem was I was doing this in an open parking lot in +90 degree heat. It was HOT and super bright. With all the glare, I couldn't see any obstructions so I chalked that up to the clutch cable being an aftermarket product and had an oversized nipple to fit different types of lever sockets.

Today was about 20 degrees cooler and I was in the shade. I first inspected the lever and all the edges - nothing. When I ran into the same problem, I double-checked the socket and there it was. I could barely see it. It was stuck in there real good. I popped that sucker out and installed the cable no problem. Had to readjust the clutch cover tho. I followed Bryan's YouTube so I think the measurements are good. I rode her home; shifting was smooth. I'll do a second readjustment in a couple days after riding for a bit if need be.

Thanks, everyone for your input and analysis. Very relieved that we discovered this problem. I couldn't handle having to deal with another gremlin.

Bryan's YouTube Clutch cable replacement
Awesome. Some things get past us even if there small and easy. You should be happy now lol.

Just a word of advice on that video and the adjustment. Loose it a bit more. It's to tight in the vid and you can eventually have other clutch issues. You want a resting gap.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #29
Awesome. Some things get past us even if there small and easy. You should be happy now lol.

Just a word of advice on that video and the adjustment. Loose it a bit more. It's to tight in the vid and you can eventually have other clutch issues. You want a resting gap.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Thanks. I made sure it wasn't as tight as in the video.

Super Moderator
PROBLEM RESOLVED!!!!
The nipple from the original clutch cable was still IN the socket, obstructing a perfect fit. Two months ago when I replaced the first clutch cable I felt that the nipple wasn't fitting perfectly. Problem was I was doing this in an open parking lot in +90 degree heat. It was HOT and super bright. With all the glare, I couldn't see any obstructions so I chalked that up to the clutch cable being an aftermarket product and had an oversized nipple to fit different types of lever sockets. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔 馃し鈥嶁檪锔 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Today was about 20 degrees cooler and I was in the shade. I first inspected the lever and all the edges - nothing. When I ran into the same problem, I double-checked the socket and there it was. I could barely see it. It was stuck in there real good. I popped that sucker out and installed the cable no problem. Had to readjust the clutch cover tho.
which part was stuck and where was it stuck?

Administrator
Just my guess. Depending on what cable was in there before, I think maybe he means the cable's barrel end connection. Again, depending on what cable had been installed before, it could have had a barrel swivel end design using a ferrule end to retain the cable to the barrel. That end, or its tip, might have somehow remained jammed in there. I can see it happening on the side of the road with annoying salty sweat pellets in the eyes lol. It sounds like it was a perfect storm, heck even a Barnett made cable fitting would eventually pop!

In any event I hope the lever-socket survived somehow. If it were me I would maybe replace the lever. Dunno. Its an eyes-on decision. Hope it all works out.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #32
which part was stuck and where was it stuck?
like @arizonawarrior was saying: the barrel swivel head part was stuck up inside the lever socket from the original clutch cable that snapped two months ago. My replacement cable, a Barnett clutch cable, wasn't fitting properly in the lever socket due to the "nipple" taking up a majority of the space. I managed to get it in there but it didn't fit as it should have and that caused the cable to rub against an edge in the lever and snap two months later. Upon removing the snapped cable and looking for any obstructions in the lever I eventually found the barrel head. After removing the barrel head the replacement cable fit as it should have. I inspected the lever socket and sprayed some lubricant in the socket/anchor area. @rij1 I hope I was able to answer your question.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts