RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Attched is the letter I am sending to Yamaha today. Please feel free to use it and modify to fit your needs. I think Yamaha is making a big mistake with the handeling of this matter. NC had a great Lemon law that includes motorcycles.

To Whom It May Concern:
I purchased a Yamaha Road Star Warrior in September of 2003. This was a NEW 2002 model on the showroom floor, VIN # XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. I have always been a huge Yamaha fan. In the past two years alone I have made four Yamaha Purchases: a 2002 TTR-250, 2003 WR-250, 2003 Warrior 4-wheeler, and a 2002 Road Star Warrior. All totaling these purchases have exceeded $25,000. I have believed in your company. I am now troubled by your recent business decisions and the manner in which you are handling your Recall on the Road Star line and the Warrior in particular. Your company's recalcitrant action toward the repair of these motorcycles is deplorable.

I now have a 6 month old motorcycle that is requiring a major overhaul to be road worthy. I received a recall notice dating January 9, 2004. This recall notice effectively renders the motorcycle inoperable due to safety issues. It is now March 5, 2004 and there are no parts in sight and I have lost two months of ride time to date. During this time I have to make payments on the motorcycle and the insurance. Now, because of your company's failure to assure quality control, my engine must be completely dismantled and rebuilt in a shop, not an assembly line. This rebuild will greatly undermine the value of the motorcycle not to mention cause a huge stigma to be associated with the brand as a whole. Resale values and bike values will be greatly reduced because of this manufacturing defect. I will now be saddled with the extra expense and time of another break in period and another “first” service that will be required. I have called your customer service line only to be told “…This is not our recall, it's the NHTSA,” and “…Sorry for your inconvenience, but there are no parts available and no estimated ship dates.” I do not want a refurbished bike. I do not want a reconditioned bike. I do not want a bike with the stigma of a “major” recall associated with it. I want a new motorcycle, and under the lemon laws of North Carolina I am now entitled to one because of your neglect in this matter.

Please consider this written notice of your last chance to fix my 2002 Yamaha Road Star Warrior. If all repairs are not completed with 15 days I will be seeking further legal action for the replacement of my motorcycle under North Carolina General Statutes, 20-351 to 20-351.10

Regards,

·
Registered
416 Posts
I might be mistaken, but I think that the lemon laws do not apply to federally ordered recalls... might be something you want to check out with a lawyer...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was looking at buy-back. ( see post under lemon law thread ) Have you spoken to an attourney here in NC ?

·
Registered
196 Posts
quote:Originally posted by razorbackWarrior

I might be mistaken, but I think that the lemon laws do not apply to federally ordered recalls... might be something you want to check out with a lawyer...

Yamaha will tell you that this recall was Voluntary, so I wouldn't think they can hide behind that if there is such a thing. Saw nothing in the NC law about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did speek with an laywer and they said to send the letter if only for notification purposes to Yamaha. On a positive note, my parts arived yesterday and they are working on my bike next week. I dont know if my letter had anything to do with it or not. I would still like some compensation for the down time and an extended warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts