RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to (hopefully) buy a rear fender blank and I need to know the standard fender width.

( The full width across between the mounting stays ).

I've just realised that I am not sure of the size and I dont have anything to go by at the moment as mine has been widened.

I can't make the call untill I know. Any takers?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Putting a carpenter's tape on the outer edges of the fender , beneath the rear set of fender stay bolts I get 10 7/8 ". There is a slight gap between the fender and the stays...hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks - Just what I needed!

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
Are you guys sure about that? I had an 11" inch fender blank and it would not fit between the fender stays, but 10-1/2" would fit perfectly.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I double checked...10 7/8 but that is from the bottom edge of the fender, I can't say for sure at the mounting points. That is ..I don't know if the fender sides come down in a straight line. I am just measuring with fender on the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
I believe the fender flares a bit from the stays down.to the lip. As I said previously I had a fender blank that was about 11': wide and it would not fit between the fender stays.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Taken from an earlier Topic - Modifying Fender Stays by Pep: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/124337.aspx

Edited: The fender measurements were taken using a narrowtapethru the mounting holes and are the outside dim

AlanH said:
Wed, Dec 17 2008 5:23 PM
Modifying Fender Stays

The fender stays are currently doweled to the bike frame and are spaced out approx 1/8" at the leading edge (beauty face)and the profile of the gap is not symmetrical.

The '04' spare fender i have measures 10 9/16"& 10 1/2" across the mounting holes, front torear respectively so there isn't that much difference with your new 11" fender.

I would procure or machine up the appropriate hollow dowels & spacers to solidly mount the fender stays to the frame.

Since thebrackets only need to move out approx 1/4" and the gapwill only be visible on the leading edge, i would scribe a filler pc made of a mat'l of your choice that is easy to work with and silicone it to the inside of the fender stay. A pc of thickblack neoprene sculptured to the gap would work too!

If you plan on doing 2-up riding you'll want the fender stays to maintain their alignment to the frame by maintaining the dowels.

Good Luck
Pep said:
I believe the fender flares a bit from the stays down.to the lip. As I said previously I had a fender blank that was about 11': wide and it would not fit between the fender stays.
+1

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Guys, I have spoken to the vendor, but based on this sort of element of uncertainty over the width, I have not actually purchased the fender yet.
Another day or so won't hurt.

I realise that it's quite a tricky one, as there are many angles to consider, but I suppose if, as AlanH says, the measurements are 10-1/2" and 10-9/16" measured across the holes, then the 11" blank is too wide.

I have a pair of standard stays on the way from a breakers in the UK but they will not be here for a couple of weeks as a friend is bringing them over.
I wanted to get the fender ordered - as I want to get started as soon as the other parts arrive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts