RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got two beasts whose batteries keep draining. They both have a lot of mods and I know that's a major issue with the Warriors. Other than disconnecting the battery after every ride (I commute so I'm riding daily) I really don't know what else to do. My last hope is to find a shop that specializes in custom bikes to rewire them completely. If anyone knows of any shops in the MD/DC/VA area, I'm willing to give them a chance. Dead batteries don't do me any good and I can't keep them on tender where I live (looking to rent a garage....)

I'm probably screaming in the wind..... thank you

·
Administrator
28,155 Posts
Remind me, what modifications do you have that create parasitic drain? Also, do you have unresolved COD troubles?

Separate question but hand-in-hand, have you considered specifically the Shorai battery and its matching charger? They are very light in weight but very powerful. You can easily pull the batteries and put them on the charger at home. The charger individually and independently charges each battery cell to 100%. Uninstalled, the battery holds its charge like crazy. No parasitic drain and no COD troubles.

I bet guys around here can help you solve most mod-induced drain.

·
Registered
932 Posts
What are the chances the batteries are toast? Batteries can behave strangely sometimes. I had a boat that you could leave for 2 weeks and it would start fine as long as everything was turned off. But, if you left the radio and GPS on for 20 minutes with the engine off it wouldn't start. And that had 2 group 27 batteries.

Diagnosing parasitic drain inst rocket science, but it is time methodical and can be time consuming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey arizona,

• Interior Wiring
  • LED Lighting all around
  • Custom Foglights Aluminum housings
  • Rear Integrated Turns.
  • LED wrapped Fork lights with running light mod
  • Flasher mod for brake stop.
  • new rear fender with LED
  • One thing that's unusual is that the bike won't start unless it's in neutral.
There have been times when I turn off the bike using the key (not the ignition kill) and the speedometer light is still on and I'd hear a clicking (mechanic thought it was the clicking of the engine cooling down but that wasn't it)

To be clear, I didn't do any of the mods myself. I bought it that way and never had trouble at first. the previous owner did everything DIY. I'm trying to think of the moment it started - if I changed or upgraded anything. Most recent install (last week) was the rear fender. I've included some pics

I think I need a wiring expert to go over the bike.

Virginia - rear fender 1.jpeg Virginia - rear fender 2.jpeg Virginia bike1.jpg

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are the chances the batteries are toast? Batteries can behave strangely sometimes. I had a boat that you could leave for 2 weeks and it would start fine as long as everything was turned off. But, if you left the radio and GPS on for 20 minutes with the engine off it wouldn't start. And that had 2 group 27 batteries.

Diagnosing parasitic drain inst rocket science, but it is time methodical and can be time consuming.

I hope the battery isn't toast. The bike just got fully serviced last week. And I specifically asked him if there were any draining issues

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Search "click of death" when you swap everything over to led their isn't enough load on the circuit and it back feeds through the decompression selinod causing it to click away till the battery dies....or something to that effect.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Another option for you to consider: Put in a high current kill switch. It's a separate switch, mounted somewhere only you know about, that disconnects all leads coming off the positive terminal of your battery. It used to be somewhat common in cars to prevent theft... hard to quickly hotwire a car when the battery is effectively 'removed' from the circuit. I realize this would only treat the symptom (low voltage the next time you try to start her) and not the disease (whatever is draining your battery), but it would assure you the ability to start her up the next go-round. It's pretty common to still use such a switch on boats.

Side note: Your clock would get screwed up every time you 'disconnect' the battery, and I don't know how the ECU would handle a complete voltage cut off every time you shut her down... maybe this would be better left to older vehicles with those mechanical fuel delivery systems... what are they called again? Carburetors?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I live in Hanover PA. I am also an electrician and if you need help trying to fix it yourself I can help out. Not a motorcycle mechanic but I know a few things.

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
……………...
  • One thing that's unusual is that the bike won't start unless it's in neutral.
    • This is an OEM Interlock IF the Kick Stand (KS) is Down and the traini is Not in Neutral it prevents taking off with KS down.
      • If the KS is UP and the traini is NOT in Neutral the bike will start if you Pull the Clutch Lever. Also an OEM Interlock.
There have been times when I turn off the bike using the key (not the ignition kill) and the speedometer light is still on and I'd hear a clicking (mechanic thought it was the clicking of the engine cooling down but that wasn't it)
  • This is the Orphan Child to the COD syndrome (Glowing or Flickering Speedo) and can be replicated by leaving the bike in gear (NOT in Neutral) and Keying-OFF with the Key or dropping your Kick Stand Down while in gear and then Keying-OFF.
    • Lots of press on the Orphan Child Syndrome introduced by this writer that goes back to May 2007
BOLD UNDERLINED TEXT shown above by this writer!
IMHO you don't need a wiring expert. You need the COD Patch. There are several flavors shown on the forum.
I introduced the use of an automotive horn relay, years ago, but prefer the use of a 100 ohm resistor and recommend its use to members when they contact me in a PM. It's a passive device and will last forever and doesn't generate heat.

ArizonaWarrior might remember helping push start my bike, early morning, on the Rumble Red Woods ride in May 2007 as a result of the Orphan Child :oops: When I returned home to Corona I discovered the syndrome in my dark garage where I duplicated what happened at the Motel. The parking space was on a steep incline so I left my bike in gear and Keyed-OFF not knowing the battery was being drained by the glowing Speedometer..

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Search "click of death" when you swap everything over to led their isn't enough load on the circuit and it back feeds through the decompression selinod causing it to click away till the battery dies....or something to that effect.

You think someone would have found a workaround by now. The solution would be to figure out how to have the circuits take on more load. Electricity and circuits is the one thing I never grasped in physics class.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BOLD UNDERLINED TEXT shown above by this writer!
IMHO you don't need a wiring expert. You need the COD Patch. There are several flavors shown on the forum.
I introduced the use of an automotive horn relay, years ago, but prefer the use of a 100 ohm resistor and recommend its use to members when they contact me in a PM. It's a passive device and will last forever and doesn't generate heat.

ArizonaWarrior might remember helping push start my bike, early morning, on the Rumble Red Woods ride in May 2007 as a result of the Orphan Child :oops: When I returned home to Corona I discovered the syndrome in my dark garage where I duplicated what happened at the Motel. The parking space was on a steep incline so I left my bike in gear and Keyed-OFF not knowing the battery was being drained by the glowing Tach.
AHahahahaah. Yes, been there. I was engine breaking and for some odd reason my bike died while I was deep in the Shenandoah Mountains. I was alone, with no cell service and on a flat stretch. Pure adrenaline & fear fueled me to push start the bike on my own. I thought both of my ACLs were going to explode. Holy ****......

COD Patch!!!! I'll search the forum. I may be contacting you for more info. thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
8,694 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts