RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and need help deciding before the weekend about my pressure plates. I got the Barnett pressure plate and green springs in with Barnett friction plate/steels. Problem im facing is whether to use all the new friction plates or use 3 old friction plates to replace the new half plates.

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
Yamaha Factory Manual Chapter 2-11 clearly states
Friction Plate Thickness: Standard = 0.114 ~ 0.122 and in right column under LIMIT 0.110"
My stock plates were still good @ 33,000 miles. Approx 0.117 wet
New plates measured 0.119" Dry

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went all new, had 15,000 mi on the old ones, figures why not spend the little extra to have a 100% new & upgraded 3 plate mod clutch! 😎

·
Super Moderator
5,709 Posts
I used the old friction plates in my 05 to do the clutch mod in the 06 motor i built and installed in my 05. It worked out fine, no problems. Take in consideration that i do not do burnouts, speed shift, or abuse my bike in any way so the disc's were in A 1 shape.

·
Premium Member
8,910 Posts
I went all new, had 15,000 mi on the old ones, figures why not spend the little extra to have a 100% new & upgraded 3 plate mod clutch! 😎
Save your Old Friction Plates, for spare parts, because they are Like New ;)

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I've measured the plates on a couple different Warriors a few times. I'm pretty sure I never bought new plates because they were always in spec.

FWIW, I ride hard, dump the clutch, do burnouts, speed shift, and just generally have fun riding the Warrior and the clutch plates were fine in my Flamed Warrior at around 38-40k miles. I had a problem with the Barnett bearing breaking apart (6003 BTW) and had it all apart and the plate thickness was still at the high end of the specs. I replaced the bearing and put it all back together and its great. No clutch slippage under the hardest launches I can do with the Stage IV package and a few other mods. I've considered doing the full plate mod, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. It doesn't seem to be needed yet, so it's low on the list. I have things that really NEED to be done as it is. lol

If you want to do the full plate conversion, I would just use the old stock plates. As alanh posted, they are probably like new.

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
Just helped do a Barnett pressure plate on my friend's 02 with 27k miles and the frictions plates all measure with plenty of life left so they stayed for the party. Plus the Yami friction plates seem to be the best option as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts