RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, maybe im a moron and ive overly waxed it, but now when i washed it the water had a cloudy look to it after i rinsed the soap off, and it dried cloudy. i needed to buff it with a cloth to get rid of the cloudy look. im guessing the wax isnt all off the bike. i used dawn dish detergent, people say its suppose to be a great dewaxer but it doesnt seem that way. its starting to get colder here and i wanted to get a final wax coat on for the winter season, so any ideas on how to do this right?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hmm, if the Dawn soap didn't work by itself, try putting some vinegar in with the Dawn soap. Or you could get some wax cleaner or a clay bar if you want to get drastic with it.

I'm a little confused by your post. Did the paint have haze on it after or before you waxed it? What wax did you use? You might try a high gloss polish on your bike instead of "wax" Turtle Wax has a great product called Ice, that is suppose to work really great. I use a product by Mothers called Synwax. It's suppose to be a synthetic blend type wax instead of the usual carnuba based formula. It works really well, as the bug guts come of with ease and it also gives my paint a deep shine.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have never heard of overwaxing but if you think that's it you can go over to S&I auto body supply on 896 Post ave off of Jewett and pick up some PrepSol. That will definately remove any wax buildup/residue on the paint.

P.S. As you might have guessed by now I'm also on the Island. Drop a line if you want to ride.

-Carmine

·
Registered
156 Posts
Claybar the paint and start over... If it is cloudy after that, something iswrong with the water, not the paint...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how does the claybar work? for some reason i thought that was almost like a polishing clay, and therefore would leave small scratches if i didnt buff it real well. it seems like i may have put wax on top of a coat of wax, and its not coming off right. its not super bad, i just washed it, dried it, and only needed to buff with a cloth to get it smooth and shiny, but when i change waxes this stuff needs to come off, as right now i can tell the dawn didnt get it all up.

·
Vendor
4,401 Posts
sounds like something more on there than wax..sounds almost like some type of lube or oil if its hazy...I wax and wax and wax and never had this problem...did you use a spray wax maybe??

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
+prepsol will get rid of it but I never even heard of this problem with overwaxint before

RF_WIZ said:
I have never heard of overwaxing but if you think that's it you can go over to S&I auto body supply on 896 Post ave off of Jewett and pick up some PrepSol. That will definately remove any wax buildup/residue on the paint.

P.S. As you might have guessed by now I'm also on the Island. Drop a line if you want to ride.

-Carmine

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
chiefjudge said:
how does the claybar work? for some reason i thought that was almost like a polishing clay, and therefore would leave small scratches if i didnt buff it real well. it seems like i may have put wax on top of a coat of wax, and its not coming off right. its not super bad, i just washed it, dried it, and only needed to buff with a cloth to get it smooth and shiny, but when i change waxes this stuff needs to come off, as right now i can tell the dawn didnt get it all up.

A Claybar will strip everything you have on your paint; Industrial fall out, bug guts, wax, etc. It will leave your paint nice and smooth, then you can put a polish or wax on it.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
According to Mr. Miyagi... Wax On... is accomplished by moving incircular motionto the right... and Wax Off arego to the left....

+1 on the detail clay....

you just dump it into a bucket of really soapy water and justrub over the paint, no need to apply force just lightly (sort of like washing with a cloth).

As stated on post above, this will remove all tar, bugs, wax.... You will need to wax as soon as done...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey I have been painting for over 25 years. bought a 06 ultra last winter that was totaled for getting splatered with concret sealer. tried to buff it off with everything I had in the shop, no go picked up some clay bar, 45 min. later I had a new bike again. didn't realy beleive itbut the stuff realy works. It even made a nice paint job look like it had just been color sanded and buffed to a perfect finish. Best $15 I have spent in a long time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mothers sells the kit at any autoparts store.

1. Spray a small area with the detail spray and with NO more pressure than to keep the clay barbetween your fingfertips and the service, glide the clay across the paint. Do NOT put a lot of pressure on it. It isn't necessary and actually works against the process.

2. The spray is to keep it lubed. if it gets sticky or difficult to move, you don't have enough spray

3. Keep folding the clay into itself every section or so to keep the particles suspended in the clay and away from the paint. (you will be surprised to see how dirty your paint is regardless of how often you wax or wash)

4. Clean off any residue with the detail spray

Make sure to use a microfiber cloth to wipe it off or you can end up re-scrtaching the service all over agin making the claybar step useless on some level. Even brand new bikes have junk stuck on the paint from shipping that won't come out with polish, wax or washing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts