RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to replace front & back tire. What is the largest size tire I can put on a stock rim? Would appreciate any feedback on brand preference for ride and durability. Currently looking at Avon or Metzler. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
You can fit a Metzeler 210, but that is recommended to be mounted on a 6" wide rim. The Warrior is 5.5", so it'll wear real fast. That's the tire I had on before, so I know first hand. Get a Avon Storm 200. Their Azaros would last up to 10,000 miles, and grip real well, too!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Stick with a 200 on the standard rim. I use Avons Azaros and love them. They have now been superceeded by the Storms and they should be even better. They also have a chunky tread pattern which suits the bike.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I just bought avon storms front and rear as a result of the constant praise they get on this site. I am waiting for them to come in the mail so I cannot yet add to that praise myself.

·
Registered
130 Posts
what is the average mile per tire it usually says in the description but this one leaves it out. for example 3to5 thousand miles or 6to8 thousand miles etc... if anyone knows this would be real big help and if you are going by what you yourself got is that with or without burnouts? hehehe...

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Average miles is 1000-10000 miles depending on your right wrist and need to do doughnuts!! I'll put in another vote for the Avons. I love mine.....

·
Registered
130 Posts
HAHAHA i knew you guys would come back with something like that. cool i think i will go ahead and get one next go around this time i need something cheap to get me through the summer and leave enough room in th budget for mods.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just ordered som Avon Storm ST's. After doing some comparo's and asking advice; I decided to go with them. They seem to have two types of compound in them. Harder in the center for wear and softer on the sides for cornering grip. Check out some reviews on them. I think it may be a good choice for you aswell!

·
Registered
270 Posts
The Metz RoadTec Z6s have a dual compound also. I bought the 120 to replace my bald stocker up front and I plan on getting the 190 for the rear when my 210 burns off.

quote:Originally posted by Weekendwarrior

Just ordered som Avon Storm ST's. After doing some comparo's and asking advice; I decided to go with them. They seem to have two types of compound in them. Harder in the center for wear and softer on the sides for cornering grip. Check out some reviews on them. I think it may be a good choice for you aswell!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Phatty

HAHAHA i knew you guys would come back with something like that. cool i think i will go ahead and get one next go around this time i need something cheap to get me through the summer and leave enough room in th budget for mods.

If you need a cheap front tire, I have a nearly new Metzeler Roadtec Z6 for sale in the classifieds.....[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

Speaking of Avon Storms, so far I've put about 500 kms on them, and I think they are great. They seem to turn quicker when you hit a corner (more responsive), and they are definitely more confidence inspiring thru the twisties (grippy!!). Seem to give a nice ride as well. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the input. Its great to have a network of others riding the same to get info from. I especially like the comment from fcwarrior. If you're gonna ride, ride hard.

·
Registered
270 Posts
quote:Originally posted by northernwarrior

If you need a cheap front tire, I have a nearly new Metzeler Roadtec Z6 for sale in the classifieds.....[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

Speaking of Avon Storms, so far I've put about 500 kms on them, and I think they are great. They seem to turn quicker when you hit a corner (more responsive), and they are definitely more confidence inspiring thru the twisties (grippy!!). Seem to give a nice ride as well. Highly recommended.

Having both the RoadTecs and the Avons, did you ever test their wet weather handling/ traction?? How do they compare for mileage? Thanks

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
quote:Originally posted by krayziturtle

quote:Originally posted by northernwarrior

Having both the RoadTecs and the Avons, did you ever test their wet weather handling/ traction?? How do they compare for mileage? Thanks

Too early to tell- I just got them on about two weeks ago, and have only put on about 500 kms. Also, I had a mismatched set front to rear (Metz on the front/stock Bridgestone on rear), whereas now I have a nice matching set.

I'll keep everyone posted as time goes on, but I'm confident these new Avons will perform real nice.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just put 200 miles on my new Avon Storm STs and man are they nice! Smooth ride, grippy on the turns and look great. These will be my tires of choice as long as I own the bike!

·
Registered
876 Posts
just put new avons on last night... my old tires were cupped so bad when i leaned i could actually feel my bike coming down off the cup onto the lower side of the tire... well... only rode home about 5 miles from the shop last night and i can already tell you there is a huge difference... i didnt work em too hard... ill give em about 50 miles to work in some road grit before i really test them but so far so good... already feels like a new bike... i would highly recommend these tires to anyone... got a great deal on em... $226.18 for front and rear shipped to me... after work today im gonna put the other 45 miles of break in on... go pound a nice straight highway so i can play in some twistys... later

1 - 20 of 22 Posts