RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks, I sincerely hope someone or several can help here. I have had a major problem with my transmission recall that poses the potential to cause unseen future damage to my Warrior's enginge and transmission. I have involved Yamaha Corporate via their contact number but can't get past (up thecorporate food chain)the idiosyncratic customer service reps or regional customer service reps. I need numbers for the Legal dep't (have their address, but want more), would like a VP.

They rode on a mis-adjusted clutch for 30 mile test ride. (wouldn't come out of 1st gear when I got it back to ride it home)

Overfilled the oil by 1 entire quart and told me it was just overflowing out of the oil tank because it the engine was hot. WTF?

Weird trans vibration in 4th and 5th gears at 55-65mph...found out that they had not properly installed the coils and they were arcing over open space!

Installed a tombstone air cleaner...I have a VBak.

Failed to install the bolt that holds the rear brake bracket to the swingarm.

Bike looked like Pig Pen from the Peanuts gang had worked on it...couldn't tell the rear wheel was brushed aluminum! (covered in black dust and grease)

And those are just the issues I managed to find during and following my 30 mile ride home...can you say Negligence, Reckless, or Endangerment.

I keep getting the big Texas 2-step from Corporate. They are willing to provide a 1 year warranty on the recalled parts only...any damage resulting from shotty workmanship of the recall must be taken up with the dealer. However, Yamaha Corporate stated that Corporate would cover the parts and labor on the recalled/replaced parts if they were damaged within that year due to shotty workmanship. Their excuse is that they don't want to be "on-the-hook" for the Authorized Service Centers issues related to shotty workmanship...simply, Yamaha shouldn't incur the cost. I tried to get Yamaha Corporate and the dealer to provide a 1-2 year warranty on the entire engine and transmission as a result of the botched recall work...isn't flying and I'm not willing to accept the motorcycle knowing the quality of their work.

I asked if they sell a warranty package on used product...the answer was YES they do offer an extended warranty on used products. So what's the problem that corporate won't cover the customer? If nothing happens within the warranty period, they're not out a dime...if something does they forgo the entire legal aspect unless I'm injured, suffer economic loss, or die.

So everyone understands this right: Yamaha certified techs receive their certs from Yamaha Corporate, Corporate issues recalls (usually after someone suffers some sort of loss), Corporate requires the vehicle go to an Authroized Yamaha Service Center/Dealer, Corporate pays for the parts and labor on the recall, Corporate will cover the costs of damaged recall replaced parts within 1 year, yet they claim the Dealers are independent.

If you've been victim to shotty recall work (we know many have...see CPS recall) or other shotty service work that resulted in damaged product or corrections YOU have had to make, please drop me a line with your contact info, the location and contact info of the servicing facility (MUST be Authorized Yamaha Service Center), nature of the issue, and what was done (if anything) to resolve the issue. I may be contacting my State Attorney General as well as the US Attorney General if this issue is widespread at Yamaha Service Centers (ie: involves more than just 3 or 4 and my city has already had one go down for Criminal activity and fraud).

Email to: [email protected]

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I can't help you with better contact information unfortunately but I sure wish you the best of luck in getting the protection and peace of mind that you're after. I think you might have (or had) better luck going after the dealer directly and taking them to small claims court for the reimbursement of time and expense it took to correct all their horrible work and potentially damaged parts. Yamaha knows that half (orlikely less) of the techs at the dealers have been trained directly by them so it's no surprise they aren't willing to stand behind them. I wouldn't stand behind half the yokels I've seen working on bikes either. Then again I wouldn't associate myself with them and sticker my brand name to their foreheads to make a buck either. Best of luck getting it straightened out and getting some better warranty coverage.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
IM AlanH or OhioMike. Mike had some legal issues about his CPU work done so he might have it and Alan...well he is Alan and knows or has stored almost everything.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
These are the links to people from a few years ago that I had when I worked for Yamaha. Good news is that if they still work for the company, they should have the same phone number. Last time people called them, they were VERY CONCERNED that people had direct lines to them. Good luck and keep us posted.

Jim Sandfer Supervisor of Warranty
714-761-7444
[email protected]

Danny Medina Supervisor of Customer Service
(P) 714-761-7435
(Fax) 714-761-7303
[email protected][url]http://rswarrior.com/forums/p/2401/39099.aspx#39099[/url]

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
If the work was that shoddy I would have not taken from the dealer. once it leave their control/lot a lot of the onus goes on you.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quite hard to identify that shoddy of workmanship until I took the ride home. But you're right, I should have stopped when I noticed the airbox installed that wasn't mine. But then again, I shouldn't have to go over ANY service center's workmanship.

The dealer and I tried a 2 pronged attack on Corporate to try to get them to comp a 1 year engine/trans warranty. The regional supervisor even said..."good luck on that one.", so that tells me that Corporate has absolutely no intention of taking care of its customers, supporting its own products, or supporting the servicing by its dealers.

I'm going to meet with the dealer to see if the manager will provide written documentation stating that Corporate will not protect the customer and places everything (warranty, blame, and the like) in the hands of the dealer...though Corporate claims to cover the parts and labor for 1 year on defective or damagedrecall replaced parts, even due to the shoddy workmanship of the dealer.

Destination Powersports in Marionville, Missouri

I'll be making copies of the applicable Revised Missouri Statues from my Missouri LEO blue book to take into the dealer and help provide some leverage to the issue...as it may be criminally chargable under negligence, reckless, or endangerment (or combinations of them) since they let me ride it home missing parts and not functioning properly.

Thanks for the contact numbers and tips to contact Alan, I'll get on top of sending him a pm.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got all that info. Downloaded/printed the recall procedure as well. Fortunately it clearly states "short cuts to help work efficiently" in the paperwork...how dumb is that?

Folks, if you've had a botched recall or servicing, check your State laws as it may be criminally actionable. In my Staterecklessness/negligence of this naturefalls under 3rd Degree Assault, if the person responsible has any history of Assaults, it's an automatic Felony. That should help give others some leverage with Dealers and Corporate so they're not as tempted to put up a blockade where future damage from recklessness/negligence applies.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update....

Heard back from the warranty manager...BTW, his name is Colin if anyone needs to go that far up the food chain.

Corporate and the dealer are "working something out" so neither entity is eating the entire cost of a warranty package. Either way, I've been assured by Colin that I will either receive a Y.E.S. warranty contract or a letter from Corporate's warranty division stating that the engine and transmission will be covered 100% for up to x amount of time (should be at least 1 year), at any Authorized Yamaha Service Center, without cost to me the owner.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Re: Update....

That's good to hear. You might want to keep his name and number handy as I'm sure someone else will need it in the future.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Strike 3...yer out!

As luck would have it, I received my Warrior back yesterday at 3:45 p.m. Right off the trailer, one of the techs requested that I take it for a quick ride to see if I notice anything right away. I didn't get 500 feet and notice a loud gear whine from the front pulley and rear pulley...my culdesac is 1/4 mile in length. I ride to the circle and back, noise still there. I let the tech know and he jumps on...gets 1/8 mile from us and I can clearly hear it where we're standing.

Problem wound up being that the service tech that reassembled the bike (on the 2nd go-round for the trans recall) tightened the belt to the furthest forward adjustment mark. So tight that it was pulling both pulleys toward each other and stressing the tranny and belt. Supposedly it was test-ridden for 30 miles in that condition and no one noticed it...can you say transmission damage? So the tech and I put her up on my jack and he uses my tools to make the adjustment on-site...quick fix and no more noise, but I'm now concerned with what damage could have been caused by the 30 mile test-ride with it in that condition. Keep this test ride in mind as it's coming up again.

I look over the bike and have noticed that the clutch lever has the proper free-play, but that the cable is so tight at the lower adjustment that it tries to spring out of the hand upon release. Picture the tension on a guitar string...it's that flipping tight! I reported these issues, along with the oil residue on the engine that makes me suspicious of a possible oil leak, to the facility manager. When I told him this was flat-out unacceptable and ridiculous he simply sighed and said I was right. He instructed me to ride it to class and see if I discover anything else with a fair length ride (5 miles one way).

Rode it to class and noticed a faint burnt oil smell on the way. Thought it might just be the residue on the engine...so she sat for 3 hours, then the ride home. Decided to put 20 miles on it to let it get truly up to temp...definately has a burnt oil odor coming from somewhere, so I get it home and put it under the dual-output spotlights in the driveway.
Discovered that there was so much Yama-bond used in the cases that it's squeezing out over most of the engine case mating surface (bet it was doing the same on the inside of the cases and that means future engine failure to the fullest)as this stuff has the consistency of chewed bubble gum when it's hot on the outside of the engine...has to be the same on the inside and when it cools inside engine parts or the oil system..., there was oil (dripping) off the shock-spring coil (and it's not from the shock), transmission fluid is "crying" out of at least 5 bolts along the bottom of the transmission cover on the right side (fill/drain side), and oil "crying" out of bolt holes near/on the cam cover.

I was nice with the first recall botching (TPS/CPS) and nice on the first foul-up on the trans recall, but now I'm sure they're going to replace the bike or cut a check for the bike and accessories...I absolutely can't trust Corporate to stand behind the product and can't trust a dealer at this point...That's 2 Yamaha centers in the Springfield area that have been either criminal or flat-out crappy.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Re: Strike 3...yer out!

And people wonder why I havn't had my TPS/CPS recall done on my 02 with 25,000 miles on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts