RS Warrior Forum banner

Needing help (member lost)

2K views 37 replies 20 participants last post by  anodari 
#1 ·
Hi-my name is Dorothy and my husband used to be on this forum all the time. I have another post under the welcome mat also. My husband owned a 05 yamaha warrior for about 4 months. On Nov. 13, on his way to work, he was sitting at a red light and the guy behind him fell asleep at the wheel and hit him at 50 mph-throwing him 130 ft. He had all the protective gear out there but it still killed him. He had just celebrated his 29th birthday on the 10. I am 25 and we have a 5 year old and a 22 month old. This guy is only getting a ticket for reckless driving. The reason I am telling you this is because I need help fighting this law in VA. The only law in VA concerning this is a criminal nelgigence charge which meant that he had to be high or drunk. Since he was't he isn't getting charged with anything. I am not sure who to contact on this website to start a petition or how to go about it. A gentleman on the other post I have has given my good ideas I just need to find the owner of this website so I can ask if I can post a petition. I know I am not the first to lose someone in a motorcycle accident but I am really begging for everyone's help. Everyone that has lost someone, please rally with me and help me fight this. All riders-PLEASE help also. It doesn't ease the pain but maybe we can help someone in the future not feel as lost as I do right now. Thank you everyone in advance for all your help!!

#2 ·
Dorothy,
You have my Support. We will see what we can do from this end, but it is going to be hard to facilitate with members from all over the US and around this great world of ours. I am hoping some Virginia Riders will take up the reins and offer up assistance. Laws change from State to State and need to be addressed in that manner. To change law in Virginia our Virginia Riders need to take up the fight. The AMA is a good start and they will put you in contact with folks you need to talk with.

#4 ·
Just because he wasn't charged at the scene, doesn't mean he's innocent. That's for a judge (and maybe jury) to decide. I think you need to talk to a lawyer. No kidding. And I mean - now. Preferably one in Virginia. Where in Virginia did this happen?

Also - not knowing if this accident involved a truck or not, it did (according to you) involve driver fatigue. There's a group called PATT (Parents Against Tired Truckers). I have done some work with them in the past. They are on Capitol Hill a lot, are very vocal and are committed to their cause. I am sure if you e-mailed them, they would be more than happy to get you going in the right direction.

I am very sorry for your loss.

#8 ·
So sorry for your loss, Dorothy. I'll continue to pray for you and your family.

As Mike said above, I would try Fox News, Gretta or Bill Orielly or Dateline NBC....I'd be writing letters to senators, congressmen, governor, even the president.

Whatever happened to Vehicular Homicide.

#15 ·
Sorry for your loss Dorothy. Any help I can be just let me know. A wife of a fellow firefighter is facing the same situation here. Her husband after getting off of shift was sitting at a red light when a car driver crested the hill he was on and hit him at better than 75 mph in a 45. Originally, even though he dragged the rider for more than 150 feet under his car, he was only going to receive a failure to regard a traffic control device. At last check more charges were being filed. My thoughts go out to you and your family.
FF Robin "Jinx" Burton-Jenkins RIP 10-6-06

#19 ·
Jim- I didn't call yesterday (I still have the info though) because they upped the charges against the man to involuntary manslaughter or vehicular homicide. The detective wasn't sure which one just yet. That is what I was fighting for so I don't know if I need to keep going. I will call him at least today and let him know what is going on. Thank you soooooo much for your support and help

#21 ·
Dorothy, the lack of more responses doesn't mean that others aren't concerned. In other words, I suspect that there are lots of people in this forum, across the country, that are following your discussion threads and reading your posts, more than you think. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm concerned and want to know what happens. I wish there was something I could do.

#22 ·
Dorothy, I'm so sorry for your loss. I couldn't even imagine the emotions that you are going through. I can tell you that I am extremely happy with your news about the guy getting charged with manslaughter. I truly hope that justice is served. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

#23 ·
This is a true statement IMO. Things like this effect all riders and me personally every time I leave the house.

I am reminded how vulnerable we all are.

I am very sorry for your loss.

God be with you and yours.

quote:Originally posted by Dberman

Dorothy, the lack of more responses doesn't mean that others aren't concerned. In other words, I suspect that there are lots of people in this forum, across the country, that are following your discussion threads and reading your posts, more than you think. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm concerned and want to know what happens. I wish there was something I could do.

#24 ·
I noticed more people read the other post I have listed. (Not sure what I am doing (member lost) ) under the welcome mat. That is more the one I have done more communicating on too. I appreciate every single person who takes the time to read any of them whether they respond or not. As far as what is going on-the medical examiner is done with his report and I should be able to pick up the accident report on Monday. Finally we will know what truly happened I guess. I think the only way I would know what absolutly truly know what happened it to have been there myself. Since that didn't happen, the accident report is there next best thing. I really can't wait to read it because everyone in charge seems to think I am some fragile creature who can't handle the truth. I am also trying to find a way to find out about the man who hit Jeff's court date. I don't know if I can attend but I would love to go and see the man that took my husband's life.

#26 ·
Dorothy, you may never know everything. When my brother died on a bike, all we knew was that he collided with his friend on another motorcycle. It was late at night on a dark highway a long, long way from home. That was all we needed to know. Maybe we're not supposed to know everything. The frustration that comes from the lack of knowledge is like a stone you keep in your pocket. I've kept mine for twenty years. Don't let it weigh you down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.