RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a little over 1200 miles on my warrior and recently (past 100 miles) I notice that occasionaly I have difficulty getting from neutral to 1st. Mostly this happens when I've stopped at a light or it's been parked in neutral and I have to keep pushing down on the shifter.

I had my warrior serviced at about 800 miles by my mechanic who changed the oil and filter and was going to change the transfer case oil, but he said he dripped some of it into a cup and it was "cherry" and didn't need changing.

Any ideas what is going on?

·
Premium Member
8,876 Posts
Sounds like you might need a cable adjustment. New cables stretch!The transfer case oil has no affect on shifting but should be replaced at 600 miles to eliminate any metallic fines from the gears and chain.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
quote:Originally posted by irizarry05

Check the adjustable thumb wheel on the clutch level

I thought that only adjusted the reach from the grip to the lever?

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
quote:Originally posted by BHW

quote:Originally posted by irizarry05

Check the adjustable thumb wheel on the clutch level

I thought that only adjusted the reach from the grip to the lever?

Nope that will also give you freeplay adjustment. If the clutch is coming closer to you, then you are setting more freeplay. Freeplay is necessary, but you don't want to much. The thumb wheel by the lever makes it very easy to make a quick adjustment at a stop light. My cable stretches a bit after riding some and I usually have to make a change every time I ride.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Just like timework.

It's usually one of the first troubleshooting issue (non-mod) that every NEW Warrior owners post on the forums. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Yamaha needs to put a sticker on the gas tank:

"WARNING: Clutch cable needs frequent adjustments the first 1,500 miles" lol

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
quote:Originally posted by REDHORSE

Just like timework.

It's usually one of the first troubleshooting issue (non-mod) that every NEW Warrior owners post on the forums. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Yamaha needs to put a sticker on the gas tank:

"WARNING: Clutch cable needs frequent adjustments the first 1,500 miles" lol

I don't know, it's got to be close between that and the gas light that won't shut off and idles that are set to low.[/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
quote:Originally posted by REDHORSE

I didn't say it was 'the' first, just 'one' of the first troubleshooting posts. [/emoticons/emotion-5.gif][/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

You bring up some good ones (non-mod) too.
* stalling/idling issues (too low idle)
* gas reserve light constantly on (fuel quick connect issues, usually happens after the owner attempts their first few mods "AIS/BAK")

Others:
* where is the idle adjustment screw
* how to take the front wheel/tool/axle off (although this happens after many miles and only if they attempt their own tire changes)

What else...?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Oil Level/Changes is always a good one[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

You mean there's two drain plugs...."Been There Done That"

Ahhhh...
It's tough being perfect.....[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

As I look down and realize I've been in the km mode for the last tank full of gas....Duh....[xx(]

·
Premium Member
8,876 Posts
Yup, done that on my way back from Toronto last year...Kept on eyeing the odometer waiting for the reserve light to come on..110-120...i'm confused blaming myself thinking i disturbed some wires during a recent mod.I'm no where near a gas station and getting really worried, finally i'm able to pull over at 147+ to gas up and the bike only takes equivalent to (2) gallons. As i go to reset trip one i realize i'm reading metric [/emoticons/emotion-6.gif] [B)] [:0] what a relief
quote:Originally posted by mongo_11

As I look down and realize I've been in the km mode for the last tank full of gas....Duh....[xx(]

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
up until about 1500 miles i had similar issues with something internal sticking every once in a while when i would shift between 2-N-1...assumed it was just all new and tight in there...
And yes cable adjustment seems to happen after about every 200-300 miles (2100 on it now. Check and make sure the jamb nut or whatever you wanna call it is tight as well.. mine came loose some how and the adjustment went out causing an inch of slop in the lever.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, again from me as well, Cable Adjustment. I had problems with 2 into1, and 1 into 2... JUst pull over, and adjust.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts