RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'll try to sum up the whole journey (since this is the welcome-mat after all).

I rode a minibike when I was very young, then a street-legal Enduro (ironically, I think a Yamaha - perhaps a 125?) in my teens. There was a large neighborhood next to my parents that was under construction for quite a few years. It was mostly just dirt, so I always had plenty of playroom. I also rode the bike on a small island we vacationed on (Bois Blanc island in Michigan in case anyone is familiar with it) each year. The few times I rode it on the street, it honestly scared the crap out of me. Looking back, it makes sense, I was never really taught properly, and the person who taught me (older brother) was *definitely* not taught properly.
After I grew up and moved out, I never rode a motorcycle again.

Well, I'd say about 6 months ago (having jumped forward about 30 years) I was watching cable and caught a show on the H-D V-Rod factory and the 'new' V-Rod. I was like, wow, now that's a really cool looking bike(!). It re-lit a flame that had apparently been dormant for many a year. Out of curiosity, I checked Harley's site and stumbled on information about their Riders Edge riding course. I guess it had never occurred to me that there would be such a thing, but I'm not sure why I hadn't thought about checking into it. I later learned of the Abate training from a local dealer (and it being a much better deal). Well, the idea of a riding course *really* interested me. I figured, well, I could take the course, be taught properly and be able to know if getting a bike was really something I would want to do. I thought that the course would either have me finishing it thinking that, no, maybe a bike isn't really right for me, or... h*** yeah, I want a bike now(!).
You can all guess how that ended up. /emoticons/emotion-1.gif
I tried to sign up for a local Abate course, but surprise surprise, it was completely booked-up for several months. A Harley Riders Edge course had free slots though so I ponied up the extra cash and gave it a shot. It was a fantastic course, and I loved it.

So... having finished the course, now comes the tough part: What bike to buy? I knew I liked the V-Rod, but it was expensive. While reading online reviews of the Rod, I ran across a number of mentions of the Warrior. Reading more about the Warrior got me interested. There were quite a few very positive mentions of it (and some fairly negative - but they seemed to be the earlier models). So, once I got clearance from my wife that buying a bike was actually an option, I went to serious shopping.

I've been rambling for a while here, so I'll just cut to the chase.
I checked out and test-rode a 07 V-Rod and an 07 Warrior. Both bikes were great - I loved them both, each unique in their own way. However... price. The H-D dealer was going to give $1k off (ooo-ahh) the 07 [since the 08's are out now] making the out-the-door price around $17.5k. With Yamaha's current $1k cash-back and some mild encouragement, I was told I could get a new 07 Warrior for $11.5 out-the-door. I didn't get robbed, but it still seemed like a reasonable deal as I was basically getting sales tax, and all of their freight/setup/titling/etc fees knocked off.
So, lesse - a $6k difference between the V-Rod and the Warrior. Approximately 12k vs 18k - so, looking at it that way, is the Warrior 2/3 the bike the V-Rod is? H*** no! Is it more reliable than the Rod? (probably - although I've heard the Rod is pretty darn good in the reliability department). Will my services cost less? Definitely. Will the Yamaha owners be more friendly? On average, most definitely. Even in some H-D circles, as a V-Rod owner, I would have been shunned. That says so much about the H-D 'clique', that alone turned me off a bit from the Rod. Did the Yamaha dealership treat me better than the H-D dealership? Absolutely, no question.

When it all came down to it - the Warrior was a blast to ride when I test-rode it, and the huge price difference combined with other factors made it pretty much a no-brainer.

Long story short: I bought an 07 Warrior today (The Sapphire/Silver flame color) and it will be delivered to my house tomorrow morning!

Woohoo! I'm psyched. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Cheers...

·
Registered
761 Posts
That's one heck of an introduction! Congratulations on making the right choice, and welcome. This is really a great group on here.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Liked the opening of your story. How true it is. I also learned young but after several hammer and prybar fixes to my mini bike, I went to a YZ80 and tore the local (off limits) state park up. BTW I was in Michigan at that time too, Waterford Township, one block from Pontiac Lake.
Very smart way to go as far as taking the riders course, I did my refresher this summer which made my 4th time taking the Advanced Rider Course.
Congratz on your '07, you have a great bike. While I am at it I'll let you in on something, there is nothing wrong with the early models, some recall fixes but its not like the other manufacturers dont go through the same things. Most of us with early bikes ('02 in my case) wouldnt trade it for the world.
Ride safe and welcome to the forum.

·
Administrator
28,398 Posts
Fantastic! Welcome aboard be sure to post pics of the new addition!

quote:Originally posted by pbennett

(edited by arizonawarrior for reply) . . . Long story short: I bought an 07 Warrior today (The Sapphire/Silver flame color) and it will be delivered to my house tomorrow morning! Woohoo! I'm psyched. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] Cheers...

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the fun! Let me just warn you, even though you already have the bike, that doesn't mean you are done spending $$$. There are going to be mods, after all. [8D]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Believe me, I know Ray. /emoticons/emotion-1.gif I don't think I'll quite go as mod crazy as most of you guys though. The bike has more then enough power for me - so I won't make any hp boosting mods. Other than that huge exhaust can, I like the look of the bike as well, so I won't go too crazy with mods for the look either.
I'll probably get the Bub Slip-ons on the bike (I think I'll have the dealer do it - I really don't think I want to mess with adding a fuel control system) and maybe start slow from there. Different passenger pegs (they're a bit cheap looking), maybe a headlight modulator, different horn, maybe different seat set if my wife ever wants to let me take her for a ride...

It was delivered this morning btw and is sitting in my garage laughing at me. The helmet I ordered was promised to me to to be here today, but the retailer ended up shipping it out of of CA and shipping it ground so I won't have it until Friday(!). Gaahhhh!! I couldn't resist taking it for a little spin though and rode it around my neighborhood, but not having protective gear is going to keep the bike riding very limited until Friday. It's driving me insane though. I'm tempted to just go buy a cheap 'ok' helmet locally to get me by until Friday and then just keep it around as a possible passenger helmet.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Congratz pbennet!! You weren't kidding when you said "long story short" though... LOL. It's good to have you on the 4M. And don't worry, just reading you small list of mods; my prediction is that by the time its all said and done you will have doubled the number of "small" things you end up doing to it. Ha-Ha after all don't forget; Yamaha Makes it... you make it your own! It's all part of the experience of owning one of the best bikes on the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts