RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About how much would the dealer charge for an installed highway 5th gear, like the ones used for the recalled trannys'? Or, do all the later years already have it installed from the factory?

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Later years do NOT have the high gear from the factory. Cost? A LOT. This would require removing the engine/trans and a complete teardown. This would require: gaskets + gears + labor. A few hundred I would guess for labor alone.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
You probably don't want your motor torn apart to that extent just for thAT GEAR. yOU COULD HAVE SOME EFFECT BY GOING WITH DIFFERENT PULLEY...33 TOOTH FRONT FOR EXAMPLE...MUCH CHEAPER ..YOU COULD POSSIBLY DO IT YOURSELF! i apologize for the capitals !

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
The Yamaha recall package allowed for 12 hours to replace that snap ring. Most of the dealers said it took more like 16 hours. @ 90/hr, = 1400 + gaskets and fluids, a hunert for the gearset... right near 1600 merican. Or 1.6kilobucks!

And that's why the 02s are fastest /emoticons/emotion-5.gif

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
quote:Originally posted by bruce59

You probably don't want your motor torn apart to that extent just for thAT GEAR. yOU COULD HAVE SOME EFFECT BY GOING WITH DIFFERENT PULLEY...33 TOOTH FRONT FOR EXAMPLE...MUCH CHEAPER ..YOU COULD POSSIBLY DO IT YOURSELF! i apologize for the capitals !

So nice it posted twice [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

I had the 5th gear added a few weeks ago but only because my motor was being torn down anyway.
For the gearing (2) the cost was $305 but cant give you an exact on the labor due to other things being done at the same time but my total labor cost was 15 hours @ $68. I looked at it as if I got to pull the motor for the piston,cams and springs then the 5th gear was a need to because either the piston labor was free or the gears were, since it was apart anyway.

·
Registered
8,244 Posts
Convert to chain drive, lots of ratios available & they change out quickly.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by Churchkey

How much to convert to chain drive???

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
quote:Originally posted by speedyfreek

quote:Originally posted by Churchkey

How much to convert to chain drive???

IM Eric Hacker (ehacker), he can quote you a price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts