RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up an 04 a few weeks ago. Got it into the dealer yesterday for new tires, recall work, and a few other things as the bike is at 16k miles. Well, the dealer informed me that the air filter under the tank was not stock and it was too small. Therefore, my engine was getting some unfiltered air. That scares the heck out of me. Anyway, they had just done a filter change on another Warrior and they said the filter out of that bike was still in good shape, so they slapped it in my bike (no charge). They didn't have a new one in stock and told me I should probably put a new filter in there soon. Now, I'm no mechanic...but if the engine was getting unfiltered air, isn't that REALLY bad? The shop didn't seem that concerned about it. But, now I guess I'm trying to decide if I should hold off dropping anymore money into this thing.
One other thing, after I picked the bike up, once it was warm, it was really falling on it's face off the line. I had to adjust the idle up. I have the Cobra fi2000. Would it make sense that air flow might be a little more restricted now and I might be running a little rich? Sorry for the long post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The air filter under the tank is the second filter the air goes thru, a "silencer" filter if you will! So, if your intake air filter is intact I wouldn't be worried.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
quote:Originally posted by head_deacon

The air filter under the tank is the second filter the air goes thru, a "silencer" filter if you will! So, if your intake air filter is intact I wouldn't be worried.

You might want to take another look at that.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Welcome to the site Vietz. As the guys said, we really need to know whether you still have the stock airbox under the tank or not. If so then there is a possibility that the previous owner has fitted a smaller filter (one that didn't fit in snug) which means that not all of the air was being completely filtered before it got to the air intake ontop of the throttle boddies. Yes this would be a bad thing but if the bike is running fine now then it's more than likely ok.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all, thanks to everyone for commenting...huge help! Brit...the air system is completely stock. I had thought about a BAK. But, I'm not a mechanic and, I hate to say, not even that mechanically inclined. So, that might be a little above me. I didn't realize the filters are in line...that makes me feel a lot better. The bike is still stumbling (especially at a stop light...if I gotta sit for more than a couple of seconds). Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Remapping would do you some good. Since you said you had your recalls taken care of, it makes me wonder when they did the TPS part of the recall, that your Cobra fuel manager has a different 0 throttle setting then it did before. It can really throw your throttle response off.
This is just my opinion but there are easy to follow direction on Redhorse and I think you may just take off your Cobra and just do a ECU adjust. After you get a BAK (Churchkey makes a great one) then use a management device.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll check that out. If it's pretty straight-forward (again, the non-mechanic issue), I'll give it a shot. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I would take off the Cobra and set your ECU CO settings to -1 to -3 untill you want to do a BAK - I can't see it doing anything for you but muddying up the works.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:Originally posted by vladens

Welcome to the 4um!

Are you in Chicago?

Na, about 100 miles southwest down I-55. Towns called Bloomington and Normal. BUT, I can get up that way!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quote:Originally posted by Jon_Cocktoastel

I would take off the Cobra and set your ECU CO settings to -1 to -3 untill you want to do a BAK - I can't see it doing anything for you but muddying up the works.

Thanks Jon. I'll do some searching on here on adjusting the ECU and look into removing the Cobra.

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Incorrect information. The Warrior has two stock air filters. One under the tank on top of silencer air box that filters air that is funneled up under the tank from front to back and the side coffin air filter that sucks air into the silencer air box. 2 Air Filters exist on the Warrior in stock configuration that filter air into the Silencer Air Box under tank....

quote:Originally posted by head_deacon

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
What Darkstar said. The two filters are independent so it would be breathing some unfiltered air. Not great, but most likely not the end of the world. If the bike lived it's whole life of 16,000miles on dirt roads unfiltered I'd be pretty concerned But I'm geussing that isn't the case. The cylinders are nicasil coated do a little search on that product and you'll probably feel a lot better about it. Has the bike been using much oil? The only thing it could really impact is the piston rings if it was breathing a lot of dirt and that should show up.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quote:Originally posted by Meatball

What Darkstar said. The two filters are independent so it would be breathing some unfiltered air. Not great, but most likely not the end of the world. If the bike lived it's whole life of 16,000miles on dirt roads unfiltered I'd be pretty concerned But I'm geussing that isn't the case. The cylinders are nicasil coated do a little search on that product and you'll probably feel a lot better about it. Has the bike been using much oil? The only thing it could really impact is the piston rings if it was breathing a lot of dirt and that should show up.

Hmmm...that almost sounds like an excuse to go to high compression pistons...gotta get in there and replace the pistons and rings...JUST IN CASE! [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] I haven't had it long enough to know if it's been burning oil. But, I'll make sure and keep an eye on that. Thanks man.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Well you're very welcome. It's all about information. This site has certainly helped me out enough times.
High compression pistons are great bang for the buck by the way.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
quote:Originally posted by Meatball

My other bike is your sister

That just cracks me up everytime I see it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts