RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
28,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Avon AV66 Storm 3D XM Rear 200/50ZR17 75W tire is now available in the US and Canada, stock is arriving slowly. I've added the size and data chart, plus the road hazard warranty form, into the Documentation Forum. Note the new Road Hazard warranty omits the original 'Storm ST' however those tires purchased previously are still covered by that previous Road Hazard warranty (which appears to be the same as current, the new warranty simply omits the Storm ST tire and adds the new Storm 2 Ultra and Storm 3D XM tires).

Important to note, when you look at the Avon North America website and click on the warranty it says it omits road hazards, you have to click on 'Downloads' to find it because the Road Hazard warranty only applies to a couple of tires.

The Documents are here: http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/92-documentation/180238-misc-handy-information-not-warrior-specific.html#post2305670

·
Registered
631 Posts
How do you like the XM, now that you've had it on for a while? I need to pull the trigger on yet another set of tires, & having been impressed my the tire life of the Avon's as well as everything else about them I will undoubtedly buy Avon's again. This will be my sixth set of Avon's and I found a front at (Phat Performance) Avon Storm 3D X-M - Tires - AVON-STORM-3D - Phat Performance Parts
I have them in my "cart". I would like to hear that you love this rear tire before I pull the trigger, I will anyway since I have had good results from the previous 5 sets. I just want some validation.
I pulled the trigger, front & rear. I have been loving Avon's for a very long time so I had to follow thru.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought an Avon Storm 3D X-M over the Metzler Z8 and Michelin's PR4 GT. I have put 25K miles on a Warrior. The OEM Dunlops were junk. Rear was bald after 3K miles. Front had plenty of tread but certainly did not inspire confidence. Used two sets of Storm 2 Ultras mostly due to recommendations from this site. The bike handled so much better on the Avons. First set was great. 10K hard miles on them with even wear. Second set saw a lot of two up and were ridden even harder....front was shot in 7K miles, the rear still had life. Tried a M5 Metzler rear and a Z8 front combination. M5 has a little better traction than the Storm 2 and the Z8 is superior all around to the the Storm 2. The M5 was shot in 3K miles, so much for a little better traction. Z8 is still hangin after 5K miles with very even wear. It might go 7K miles. I would buy the Z8 over the Storm 2 after seeing the latest prices. After some head scratching, I came across a great deal on two 200/50ZR17 Avon AV80 3D Ultra Sport rear tires (dual compound and the hardest of the 3D Ultra series). Read some decent reviews and for the price could not pass them up. I have 2K miles on one, and I would say these wear like my first Storm 2 did. It has better grip than the Storm 2 on dry pavement as good as the M5 Metzler and will by far outlast one on a Warrior. I personally don't push any motorcycle on wet pavement, so I have had no issues there on any tire. Since the AV79 (matching front) for the AV80 doesn't come in a 120/70VR18, I had three choices really....... Z8, PR4 GT, or the new Storm 3D X-M. I can't knock the Z8 and if someone knew something about the PR4 GT's performance on a heavy power cruiser I might consider it. Tires that wear well on big sport bikes or sport touring bikes don't fair so well on a Warrior sometimes. Weight, phenomenal brake action, and extreme low rpm torque wear tires in a different way. Based on lack of any information on the Michelin for my application and price as well as my past experience with Avon, I chose the 3D X-M. Pretty soon, I will at least be able to tell you if the 3D X-M is better on a Warrior than the Metzler Z8 and Storm 2 Ultra.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
3D-XM Avon

The Avon AV66 Storm 3D XM Rear 200/50ZR17 75W tire is now available in the US and Canada, stock is arriving slowly. I've added the size and data chart, plus the road hazard warranty form, into the Documentation Forum. Note the new Road Hazard warranty omits the original 'Storm ST' however those tires purchased previously are still covered by that previous Road Hazard warranty (which appears to be the same as current, the new warranty simply omits the Storm ST tire and adds the new Storm 2 Ultra and Storm 3D XM tires).

Important to note, when you look at the Avon North America website and click on the warranty it says it omits road hazards, you have to click on 'Downloads' to find it because the Road Hazard warranty only applies to a couple of tires.

The Documents are here: http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/92-documentation/180238-misc-handy-information-not-warrior-specific.html#post2305670
I bought one(well, ended up with one, due to a supplier error) for my MT-01....and I have to say I wish they'd supplied the Storm 2. It's noisy( i think because of the symmetric tread pattern) and doesn't look as cool as the Storm did. But, on the high side, the price was pretty good and I had it in 3 days, when the Storm inherited a 3.5" deck screw in the sidewall. So far, I have about 1500kms on it, and will debate replacing it over the winter with the Storm 2 or something by Shinko...

·
Registered
34 Posts
What mileage are y'all seeing out of these tires? I'm about due for a new set and I'm considering switching to Avons. How well do they hook up? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Well I order a front tire frm CHAPPARAL the Avon 3 was told that it was in California warehouse n would get it Wed....no till TODAY n GUESS what WRONG size...
And when I called wad TOLD that Avon doesn't make THAT size.......is THAT true? .?.?.?.?.

·
Administrator
28,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Now the ending to my story .....
Well went to CHAPPARAL to return wrng TIRE....get there n let them what happened. And they xpect me tp pay for another tire than n there and wait for $$ to be credit to cc ...And the icing on the cake after telling me that Avon doesn't make that size n that they dnt have it....THEY SENT ME TO TIRE department n they had the [email protected] tire in there warehouse on premises ....which took 10minutes for me to GET......And didn't get no ride TODAY...So if u order frm them b mindful of there call center getting ur oder WRONG....Thanks for letting me vent.....

·
Administrator
28,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sux that happened. I've been ordering tires and other bits from Chapparal for years, and until recently we had three bikes in the garage. Always had great success and zero trouble and very reasonable pricing. I hope the only trouble was that you ran across one new poorly-trained employee and I hope that gets corrected soon. Glad you got your tire.

·
Administrator
28,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its been awhile since I checked that tire on their website but last time I checked their website (like many others) still did not have the 200 as an option. This is because the 200 was the last size manufactured in the line and the very last to be brought to market. This morning I see the size is listed in their tire options, so either its been there awhile or your troubles helped to fix what was missing and they realized the missing size and added it. To me, this is just another case where people on this forum have information that vendors do not have, or overlook. I ALWAYS check here for what's new before buying things like tires and batteries, etc.

[email protected] that just pi$$es me off.....why say that u have in stock n than say its not made cause they messed up........

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just a shout out for those who are asking about the mileage for the 3D ultra - I threw both front and rear on my warrior and have a solid 7,000 miles on it with about 2000 miles to go on the rear at least. The front will probably get ~2k more than the rear just because of my riding style I tend to tear up the rear tires faster than the front.

My impression is that they're actually a little more sticky than the Avon Storm and have a little bit faster wear but I bet you could get 9 to 10k out of the rear and maybe 11 to 12k on the front.

I used to get ~12k on the Avon Storm 2 back when they made them - I went through 3 or 4 pairs of the storm 2 ultras before they stopped making them.

I'm a fan of the 3D ultras and will most likely get another set next time I need new tires.

-Mr. A

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Time to order some new Avon Storm 3D X/Ms, I think. Worn out at 80248 miles.jpg
They seem cheaper than last time I purchased them, about $180 for the rear now. But I could be wrong about that.

When I installed the last pair, I failed to think to make a note of the mileage in my post above, but I'll do so with this set.

80248 miles when installed.

I think they did OK considering:
1) This is my daily commuter bike (when the temp is above 30° F). 14 miles one way. But I don't always take the short way home. :D
2) I started drag racing late in the season of 2015 and ran most of the 2016 season. https://www.facebook.com/adam.lamprecht.1/videos/10100160340989038/
I had to think of why they wore out to the cords off center left like that. Most of my riding is pretty much straight lines (Eastern South Dakota = flat, straight and boring) and my last set showed that. Worn down to the cord right in the middle.

About the only hard turn I could think of is when I get off the interstate on a right turning cloverleaf.
Right off 229.jpg
Then it dawned on me. On my way to work I wait on a light to get on the interstate on ramp. When it turns green, I usually get on it pretty hard - on a left turn. That has to be it.
Left onto 29.jpg

Update: I put my order in to Jake Wilson on Sunday, May 14th (Sunday, but business wise Monday the 15th essentially) and the Avons just arrived at my doorstep today the 17th!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts