RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I bought some new bars off Ebay. I think they're 1.5" punishers but not sure. Either way, the fat 1.5" T-bars really do a much better job of showing off the bike than the ugly Yammi stock buckhorns. Back to the topic, I loosened all of the hand controls so I could move the buckhorns forward so thateverything would slide right off. Well, El Stupido me unloosens the riser bolts last and forgets to hold the bars up in the process. BAAAM! There goes the stock bars falling right down on the tank. What a freaking moron! First of all, I didn't think the project through and most importantly I didn't protect the tank from possible dents or scratches during this mod. Fortunately, it didn't break the paint. It only put a straight dent right on the left side of the tank and not on the right side (the pretty side). It's also a Midnight and doesn't show up as well, atleast not at night. We'll see how she looks in the morning.

Question,do those dent remover kits actually work? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
510 Posts
eeesshh.. I did that on my little vstar 650 (god rest her soul). And ever since, i make it an absolute habit that anytime im doing anything near the tank, i put a padded blanket over it.. and i highly doubt a dent puller would do the trick.. But the good news is, you can sand it all down, fill in the dents with some bondo, and now its time to murder it out with flat black all over

·
Registered
510 Posts
eeesshh.. I did that on my little vstar 650 (god rest her soul). And ever since, i make it an absolute habit that anytime im doing anything near the tank, i put a padded blanket over it.. and i highly doubt a dent puller would do the trick.. But the good news is, you can sand it all down, fill in the dents with some bondo, and now its time to murder it out with flat black all over

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually like the stock paint with the tribal pin stripe thingy behind the gas cap. The dent is far enough over to possibly do a spot bondo job and then touch it with black then clear. Does that sound possible or I wonder if I would need to repaint the entire tank. Not a big fan of the flat on my sheet metal look.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me on the same side,only I was raising the stock bars up. So at least you were replacing a part. The way it happened to me was after I loosened the 3rd riser bolt it fell. The 4th bolt was loose. A big thank youto what ever dealer assembled the bike.The dent is very small but I know it is there. Let me know what you do to fix the dent.Glad to know I am not the only moron to not protect the tank while adjusting the bars.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I have never had any luck with the dent remover kits, but it may be worth a try as long as the dent isn't kinked at all. Here comes the custom paint---maybe i should do the same so I could justify new paint with my lady friend!

·
Registered
128 Posts
aww **** buddy that sucks! hate to read about the tank takin a shot but really wanna see the new bars on there. i haven't seen the dent so couldn't really give alot of advice on fixing it, but ya might try some dry ice. that may not take it all the way out but it might lessen it some and make it not as noticable. there are some good videos on you tube and around the net if ya feel like watchin a few. good luck with it!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gremlin said:
aww **** buddy that sucks! hate to read about the tank takin a shot but really wanna see the new bars on there. i haven't seen the dent so couldn't really give alot of advice on fixing it, but ya might try some dry ice. that may not take it all the way out but it might lessen it some and make it not as noticable. there are some good videos on you tube and around the net if ya feel like watchin a few. good luck with it!
Dry ice? First of all, who was the first guy that came up with that one? Seriously though, who would actually think "I've got a dent! I know, I'll throw some dry ice on it." It's worth a shot though, thanks for the tip. I'll try to get some pics of the bars tomorrow.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I made a similar dent on my old Suzuki M50. Bought a couple of dent romovers from the local auto shop. The metal is too thick for them. They work great on cars, but not on the tank. So don't waste your time or money with one of them. I got a new tank of ebay for about $150. I also dropped the bike a few days later and claimed the whole thing on my insurance. So atleast I got all my money back, plus extra for mods.

·
Registered
128 Posts
07midnite said:
Dry ice? First of all, who was the first guy that came up with that one? Seriously though, who would actually think "I've got a dent! I know, I'll throw some dry ice on it."
haha no kidding. make sure you put a rag around the block of ice and wear gloves! the ice will scratch the paint and the ice will freeze to your hands so **** quick it feels like its burning. dont ask how i know that haha

i had a dent in my truck and while it didnt take it all the way out, it didnt help it some the little crease is still there but the actualy dented in part did pop out.

can't wait to see the bars

·
Registered
510 Posts
07midnite said:
I actually like the stock paint with the tribal pin stripe thingy behind the gas cap. The dent is far enough over to possibly do a spot bondo job and then touch it with black then clear. Does that sound possible or I wonder if I would need to repaint the entire tank. Not a big fan of the flat on my sheet metal look.
Its possible but i wouldnt promise that it will look great. If you take your time (more than you took changing your bars
) And you dont use cheap paint, then i bet you could make it look pretty decent.

·
Registered
474 Posts
PUT the tools down and back away from the bike slowy and no one will get hurt. I hate it whenyou shoot yourself in the foot. You may check some of these paintless dent remover guys. They use a rod to push the dent back out, from the inside.

·
Vendor
4,401 Posts
here we go again with the PDR guy sticking his rod in the hole....haha (old post same topic) anywho, you should have been drinking beer. See...my old man and I were drinking beer while putting my super sweeps on. I started loosening bolts and my dad decided to stand over the bike and pretend he was riding with his beer coozied up sittin on the fuel cap making vroom vroom sounds. Anyone that knows my dad would get a kick out of that....Glad he was there.....Never even thought about the bars falling and denting the tank with just a couple hundred miles on the bike..
BTW someone aske a PDR guy and he said no go on the tank...

·
Premium Member
16,372 Posts
Lesson learned the hard way. Remove the tank prior to changing out handlebars. Your best bet is to take it off and bring it to a professional, pay the cash to get it done right. Repaint. Or find a good one on EBay or our Classifieds.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
That stinks.You could try contacting one of the Paintless Dent Repair guys that go to dealerships to fix new and used cars.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
slngshott said:
That stinks.You could try contacting one of the Paintless Dent Repair guys that go to dealerships to fix new and used cars.

I talked to a custom paint/body guy at church today and he recommended the same. The dent doesn't show as bad because the bike is black but it still shows none the less.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts