RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery start loosing crank power after sitting in my garage for a few day.

I saw some previous posting about SVR14 which sound better and have more juice to crank but I also heard there is a problem fitting it on 2002 Warrior.

Does anyone have experience this?

Also, is that good to have battery charger? any suggestion for type/spec for charger?

If my battery dead/cant start while im on the road, what should i do? anyway to jump it..

Thanks!

oops... sorry i post it on wrong forum...

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
hiya - great name by the way.. must say how it came about sometime
..... yes... battery.. yes suggest you type svr14 into search.. [its customary to do a little home work first to show willing lol but most times when you jump right in someone will get backto you.. not always so don't be offended just a bit of luck needed sometimes - it's just that this particular subject has been beaten up quite a bit recently hence me being the first to come back to you]- as recent threads say [end of last year] this went around and around.. the up shot was that some battery holders seem to let the svr slip in and others need a hairdryer to let it slip in, but always put a strap round it to get it out again! - and we have no idea why some battery boxes are bigger than others... but the svr seems to get top marks as batteries go... depending on where your buying it, if that's the road you're going, then someone here will now where to get it

hope that helps a little - if you need more i'm not an expert here, but i know some guys who are, and we'll come back to you - and welcome tom ba

·
Administrator
30,369 Posts
When my battery is ready to be replaced, I'll probably go with the SVR14 because it gets good reviews from members. If it doesn't slip right into your battery box then fill abig zip-top baggie with hot water and stick it in the battery box a few minutes to soften the plastic along the 'bump' at the back of the battery box, down low.When it's hot, remove the bag and slip the battery right in. Its tight, so they always say to make sure the battery-removal-strap is around the battery

Corrected: BTWfor the SVR14, members says they"had to modify the pos (+) connector because its in a slightly different position than the stock" but its nothing major. (this is now corrected -I confused two batteries -oops my bad - but nothing material changes this is still my selected battery when the time comes because many members use it and recommend it).

In case you shop for other batteries, here's the stock battery size:

Battery - OEM: GT14B-4 (GS) 135cca 12ah (6" x 2.75" x 5.75")(10 lbs)

On the charger, yes, there's a few good ones out there. I use this:

Battery Charger Types: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/121651.aspx
Battery Tender Plus 12v 1.25a: http://batterytender.com/
Battery Conditioner Schumacher 6v-12v 1.5a: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/26686.aspx
Battery Conditioner Schumacher: http://store.schumachermart.com/sem-1562a.html

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Arizona Warrior said:
When my battery is ready to be replaced, I'll probably go with the SVR14

Gotcha - had to come off that fence some timemy friend..lol

No really just kidding...i know you were as bemused as i was when we went thru this last year - now i'm just hoping you have to do it before me - not being unkind it's actually a compliment, 'cause i know you'll do it right and post good info - bet it's my luck you have a big box! [did i just say that...lummy... carries on hoping no one noticed.. ] ....and the svr just slips in no fuss for you...

Interesting your deciding to use the hot water bag trick, and not just flay around a lot with a hairdryer?.. do we have a desciion on what strap to use or did i miss something?

You must feel pretty ok with it being a tad taller as well?

Also how's the wrenching going now you have a 'warmer' garage.. i notice your back doing good mentoring

i've been riding in some ruddy cold weather recently it was -2c this morning and the oem battery 'just'cranks her over.. but i got to say it does just what it needs to everytime.. even if it does sound like it's 'just'got enough muscle!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Arizona Warrior said:
BTWthe SVR14's Positive lug is on the opposite end so you need to reverse the POS and NEG wires at the battery. But they say the wires are long enough already.

Why not just spin the battery 180°?

·
Premium Member
8,929 Posts
dguy said:
Arizona Warrior said:
BTWthe SVR14's Positive lug is on the opposite end so you need to reverse the POS and NEG wires at the battery. But they say the wires are long enough already.

Why not just spin the battery 180°?
dguy .... this is not accurate information at all for the SVR14 battery that is being presented by the respondent. Someone has their wires crossed

There might be some confusion here by the respondent regarding the battery post connections being modified or the cable ends to fit the post

The battery terminals for this battery group is: Pos. Left / Neg. Right when facing the battery terminals. When the battery is clocked 180 deg the terminals are in the proper position as shown below from the Yamaha Factory Shop Manual
... as you can see Item 4 is the Pos terminal and connection.

FYI, the Neg battery cable is definitely to short to reach if the terminals were reversed IMO. Ifa mirror image it might be possible!

·
Premium Member
8,929 Posts
kresnanto said:
I just bought one Schumacher today

Thanks!
kresnanto .... why don't you get us some accurate information since you're replacing your battery. There isquite a bit of conflicting infoon this subject lately and can be caused by the various interchanges usedby the different resalers, jobbers& distributors IMO.

I would be curious to know exactlywhat battery is currently in your bike as well as the replacement

[*]Manufacturer
[*]Model Number and or BatteryGroup
[*]Dimensions: L x W x H either in inches or mm (ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS)
[*]Battery Post Style for Cable Connection or Photo

[*]Top, Side, or Front[/list]
[*]What modifications if any to install new battery

[*]Battery box, cable end or battery post[/list][/list]

Thanks & Good Luck

·
Administrator
30,369 Posts
I did confuse the two batteriesI had been considering. The other one was a bit too large for the box and I want to keep all the relays in their places for the most part.Nothing material changes due to my 'oops' I have decided on the SVR14 because many many members recommend it and that says a lot. What a few other members said about their own SVR14 install wasthey "had to modify the pos (+) connector because its in a sligtly different position than the stock" but they also said it was nothing major. Like I said - 'oops!'

The other benefit I believe I see with the SVR14is it maximizes the existing battery box and there is a proven method to safely heat and insert the battery although those members who said their battery box doesn't have the 'bump' at the rear-bottom of the battery box hadit easierbecause their SCR14battery slippedright in.

Even so - some of usagreed to measure our own OEM/previous battery, and the new battery we install, as we go along. I'm still hopefulmany willpost their bike year, new battery brand andmodel number (maybe evencold cranking amps and ampere hours), and all the new battery's dimensionsin the'Model Year Differences' topic.I still promise to add that data by model year. This will house the findings of many members ina central area along with other details already divided by model year. Maybe overtime this will show if the bike's model year has an effect on what battery will fit, however unlikely (
wanna bet I will soon regret saying that!). Anyway,I admit for now thatwe can all make guesses butthere's no way to know except compile the data.

(24!)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
OK, my head is starting to hurt from reading all this info

Alan H...is it true that if I stick a battery for a sportbike...say ZX10R intomy Warrior, it will now redline at 17Krpm?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I would go with a Yuasa AGM Type Battery.

And i always keep my bikes in a battery tender, in that way, they are always ready with maximun power for when i want to ride... battery tenders start in $30... Delran is a good brand.... is the one that i use.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I've had the stock battery...not so good

SVR14 after my 108 plus cams was installed which was excellent

And Batteries Plus Xtreme alledgedly 260CCA

And the winner is...................the SVR14 by a big margin even though it's only 'rated' 200CCA it's easily best.

The Xtreme from Batteries Plus is about an inchlower so it provides storage space for black boxes etc but the SVR14 is best for starting especially with the hi-comp kits.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts