RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking end of Aug or first part of Sept
So being retired and have not much to do I've been riding some of the back roads in the Berkshires that I haven't been on in years. Last month I took my granddaughter to her new college in Leicester and came back on Rt 9 not a bad ride, but if you take 116 north off 9 in Amherst makes it real nice lots of twisties. A few others are Rt 2 Mohawk Trail, NH Rt 9 to Vt Rt9 Molly Stark Trail then Rt 8 into Ma, or 91 to exit 24 to 116, from NY RT 7 to 22 then 246 or Rt 2 Petersburg
Was thinking of a meet in N Adams at the bottom of the north side of Mt Greylock highest Mt in Ma 100 mile view and can see 5 states on a clear day, cloudy you may not see the other end of the parking lot. A quick stop on top then down the south side to Lanesborough for lunch at a Pub or Bar.
If this sounds good to enough of ya I'll start checking some details

Here are a couple Youtubes of Greylock up one side down the other

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QBdiX3P4sUM

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'd be in, it's a tank of gas to the start point..... but i like riding the berkshires.

·
Registered
452 Posts
If I'm around and the weather isn't bad....I'm in....Greylock can be alotta fun if your not afraid to pass on the corners...Not sure which side is the most fun to go up...The North Adams side has the most hairpins and switchbacks...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I'm around and the weather isn't bad....I'm in....Greylock can be alotta fun if your not afraid to pass on the corners...Not sure which side is the most fun to go up...The North Adams side has the most hairpins and switchbacks...
Greylock is not a fun ride in bad weather, was thinking of meeting at Fright Yard Pub, up the N. Adams side down the other to Olde Forge or Matt Rieley's for lunch. What do ya think??
Was up your way couple weeks ago, went up 7 to 346 - 22 - 7 ny 9 vt then 8 down to N Adams , nice ride.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I Think if you Build it they may come.... Not a lot has changed around here there's a lot of people that say they want to ride but dam if it's true. I don't know why you've got to twist their arm so hard to go.... But I'll pretty much promise you if you want to get a ride together you've got to Plant the seed... set the dates....wait for everybody to say they need a different date... try another....twist a few arms...get 10 commitments, have 4 show up...three of which are late and there's always one whineass that hasn't had a chance to eat....:mad:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I decided that Sept 8th would be a good date for this ride if anyone is interested. ( If it RAINS it's off ) Berkshires aren't as bad as the Cape but we have a lot of summer people and they will be mostly gone by the 8th also weekenders go home Sunday, so there shouldn't be any traffic on the mountain.

Meet Place
Freight Yard Pub
3 Furnace St North Adams

There is a map on there web site www.freightyardpub.com‎ It's right on Rt 8 almost under the bridge in center of town, I'll be there on Sunday 8th at 11:30 am & will leave at 12:30 for a ride to the top, after a short stop at the top down the other side for Lunch.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Just went through Mt Greylock last week. It is a cool road, great view from the top. That is one road that would get real sketchy in the rain. Some spots were still wet from morning rain and some guys were sh!tting themselves at those hairpin turns. Great time!! We also met some hikers that made their way up from Georgia. Only took them 3 months:eek:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ok I decided that Sept 8th would be a good date for this ride if anyone is interested. ( If it RAINS it's off ) Berkshires aren't as bad as the Cape but we have a lot of summer people and they will be mostly gone by the 8th also weekenders go home Sunday, so there shouldn't be any traffic on the mountain.

Meet Place
Freight Yard Pub
3 Furnace St North Adams

There is a map on there web site www.freightyardpub.com‎ It's right on Rt 8 almost under the bridge in center of town, I'll be there on Sunday 8th at 11:30 am & will leave at 12:30 for a ride to the top, after a short stop at the top down the other side for Lunch.
Greylock is 15min up one side and 15 min down the other at best...Is that the complete Ride??? Who's all going to be Joining the Ride???

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For the guys who have showed interest in coming the ride is getting here, for you maybe 7 to Vt9 then down 8 and go back Rt2 thru Petersburg and up 22. that will add a few miles for ya. I been watching the weather, so far possible late shower Sunday 8th and 74 degrees is the latest.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well weather shows 20% chance of showers late Sat and early Sun morning the rest of the day partly sunny, so I will be there at 11:30 wait an hour and see if anyone else shows. If not I tried what else can I say.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya not bad a little breezy and how about that wacko on the skateboard in the 90 turn, had to be doing 40+

1 - 20 of 20 Posts