RS Warrior Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,312 Posts
I actually don’t think so. I used to work for a national defense contractor who had strict supply chain rules. We weren’t allowed to buy Chinese or Ukrainian stainless. I’m sure if there was an American stainless supplier, they would have been our sole provider.

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
There are a few foundries that I know of that make stainless but I am not 100% who makes stainless piping but there has to be American foundries making piping.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,836 Posts
Stainless pipe is extruded from already manufactured stainless. I'm assuming it's hot extruded but dunno. I don't know anyone casting or extruding stainless pipe directly from raw materials.

The actual manufacturing of stainless from raw materials requires an oven and many hours. Its most often done in an electric oven in a purpose built melt shop.

Most of the raw materials are more common in certain other countries and shipping them is costly and requires a constant stream. Countries like South Korea and certain African countries, and China and Russia of course, have most of the ingredients in their own domestic materials stream so they have a manufacturing advantage.

Twenty five years ago there were one or two stainless steel melt shops in the USA but I don't find them anymore. North American Stainless appears to import manufactured stainless and convert it (big rolls into small rolls and ingots or sheets into requested shapes). They are part of an international partnership and seem to be the partnership's only USA member. They convert and warehouse and distribute.

There must be others doing what they do, but I'm not stumbling across them.

I don't find ANY USA based primary manufacturing of stainless steel.

Seems sad and unfortunate. Hoping I just didn't search enough and it's out there.

·
Super Moderator
7,468 Posts
MY 02

IIF HE IS GETTING THE MATERIAL OUT OF THE COUNTRY HE SHOULD HAVE PUT THAT OUT THERE SO PEOPLE KNEW ABOUT IT
BEFORE HAND SO THIS WOULDNT BE HAPPENING...

SINCE THE BEGINNING THERE HAS BEEN ISSUES WITH THIS GUY ....
EVEN WITH GDWARRIORS EXSHAUST..

$UCKS BUT GUESS ITS LIKE SOMETHING
LIKE BUYER BEWARE TYPE OF THING....

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
I could have sworn that North American Stainless was the largest producer of stainless in the US. That the Kentucky plant which is on the river is HUGE with over 1,500 produces all types.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
30,836 Posts
You could be right but I dug through the website and scanned over every image file I could find and there's no signs of a melt facility (they are easy to spot since they have some sort of chimney or wet-filter structure). I notice it 'appears' maybe they do more than just stainless but no sign of primary metal melting at Kentucky. I was surprised too. But other countries don't have the hazmat and exhaust regulations. Hate to say it. I'm still interested in the answer to this but real life is getting in the way.

·
Premium Member
8,980 Posts
@Jray Koon ... Nothing wrong with the 2" OD SS304 mandrel bend as it's certified material .... 3-A Sanitary Standards and even stamped with the Heat No. (HT) from which it was manufactured :)
Font Building Parallel Screenshot Engineering

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

41 - 52 of 52 Posts