RS Warrior Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,864 Posts
DanGunman said:
"New members sign in here" Used to be at the top of the page and with it now in the middle I think the newcomers are missing it.Very few newbies have introduced themselves since the forum change,and thats where I did most of my post ho'ing!
Moved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
i may be stepping over the line here... but i would like to understand why we are using a custom message board when there are a few of the open source variety that work very well. i like the new board (and it's flaws); but curiosity is killing me on this one.

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,864 Posts
I am going to assume that the open source forums you are referring to
are written in PHP. That being said, I don't like PHP. I do know PHP,
and have written a couple sites in it, but my day job is all .NET
programming and therefore I am sticking to it.


The last version of the site was using Snitz, an open source ASP forum application. It hasn't seen any releases in years and for all intents and purposes, it was dead. All the other features of the site (including MANY customizations to the forum app) were written from scratch by me and simply put, were not built for the amount of users the site now has.

I know of one open source Microsoft .NET forum package, but it is just that... a forum application. I have been using this community platform (Community Server) since its inception and I am very familiar with the architecture. It provided forums, galleries and a few other features out of the box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,695 Posts
AWESOME. Many many thanks Sean, this is one thing that I really missed from the old site, the ability to search the Galleries by letter.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
28,391 Posts
We're all about custom work in this technical forum!!


The new site is coming into focus very nicely - thanks Sean.


williec30 said:
i may be stepping over the line here... but i would like to understand why we are using a custom message board when there are a few of the open source variety that work very well. i like the new board (and it's flaws); but curiosity is killing me on this one. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,821 Posts
Been crying on the sidelines for a long time now but came back today and allefreakingluia the Galleries are worth visiting again. Wooohooooo. Thank you.


This is still so much better than a lot of,if not most, forums but still not up to the second family/community feel of the old RSW. Only 21 members today. Ah well, perhaps by fall.


Just found out I can't copy/paste this message????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,821 Posts
Been crying on the sidelines for a long time now but came back today and allefreakingluia the Galleries are worth visiting again. Wooohooooo. Thank you.


This is still so much better than a lot of,if not most, forums but still not up to the second family/community feel of the old RSW. Only 21 members today. Ah well, perhaps by fall.


I enjoyed this views# counter too.


Arizona Warrior said:
Nice work, thank you Sean!


Any chance to get the old #views count from the old forum gallery and plug it in here? I sorta liked sometimes seeing the views-count - it was sort of cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
Active topics listing

Search returns threads rather than posts

Direct upload of pics into posts

More hot women
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,406 Posts
I just proposed this in another thread. Could we add a "Controversial Forum" section. The place where topics go when they start getting a little warm and start to annoy too many people. A place to put it to simply get it out of the Anything Goes section (where the majority would see it day after day if it's active) and have this new section NOT pop up under "Active Topics" - IE - you have to GO there, it's not a place you will stumble into. It's also known ahead of time that the topics residing there are of controversial nature - so no one can whine that they want the thread deleted because they don't like it. All the rules still apply (no porn, no personal attacks, etc), but at least adds one place for a topic to go before it qualifies for removal. Look at it as a pressure relief valve forum...


Maybe?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
RhatPhlegm said:
I just proposed this in another thread. Could we add a "Controversial Forum" section. The place where topics go when they start getting a little warm and start to annoy too many people. A place to put it to simply get it out of the Anything Goes section (where the majority would see it day after day if it's active) and have this new section NOT pop up under "Active Topics" - IE - you have to GO there, it's not a place you will stumble into. It's also known ahead of time that the topics residing there are of controversial nature - so no one can whine that they want the thread deleted because they don't like it. All the rules still apply (no porn, no personal attacks, etc), but at least adds one place for a topic to go before it qualifies for removal. Look at it as a pressure relief valve forum...


Maybe?

Now that could be a good idea.


Damon will have a shortcut on his desktop for ease of use LOL


Damon no attack meant here cause i am actually a great fan of you and your vision of this strange world we live in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,406 Posts
Stevo said:
Now that could be a good idea.


Damon will have a shortcut on his desktop for ease of use LOL


Damon no attack meant here cause i am actually a great fan of you and your vision of this strange world we live in.




We could call it "Damons Corner" - heh heh!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
28,391 Posts
Make Search Results the Whole Topic as before?

The current search functionreturns all theindividual posts in topics. If there's ten replies in a post, the search function returns the ten replies as ten separate line items. Its not oftenuser-friendly.


Is there a way to select a search that will return TOPICS as with the prior system? That is more often handy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,916 Posts
Re: Make Search Results the Whole Topic as before?

I received a message from Carknee a week or so ago. He's working on several upgrades/changes to make the site more user friendly. I don't know if this is one of them but I'm sure he'll see it and consider the change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,864 Posts
RobRiguez said:
It would ne nice to have the members map back again. Google has a neat app that will handle everythign for us but it would have to be integrated into the websitesomehow.
The Member Map is already started. No promise to when it will be done though.
 
41 - 60 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top