RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I’d say hello while I stalk the website and soak up information. Couple months back picked up an 2006 Warrior. Was told it was a midnight version but vin is just a warrior. First street oriented bike and am enjoying it.
Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate that sir she cleans up pretty good looking at putting some tires on her. Just by the dates it needs rubber. Think the 130 front and 190/60 rear. Taller tire would help with highway rpm lol

·
Registered
Yamaha XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
869 Posts
welcome to the club..

looks like a midnight to me with some nice aftermarket pipes n bars

if the tach and speedo backlight are red.. it's a midnight.. another telltale is the red striping on the rims (all warriors can get painted black and get decked out with black accessories)

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
BigJake, if your thinking of going 130/70/18 on the front be careful which brand tyre you buy as they can expand and catch the front fender. I run a 130/70/18 metzeler me880 at present and it's OK but close. I've also run a 130/60/18 metzeler, which gives you better clearance. If fitting 130/70/18 make sure you have the front fender set correctly and that you have clearance between tyre and fender. Also allow for expansion of the tyre when it gets hot. Hope this helps. Frec 🇬🇧

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The pipes look like samson shogun slash cuts to me. Nice and loud 🔊 👍. Frec 🇬🇧

·
Administrator
5,909 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Alabama.

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,233 Posts
Welcome from SoCal!

There are quite a few tell-tale signs that it truly is a Midnight. As mentioned, if the dash lights are red, then it is a Midnight. That is one of the best indicators as it's not too common for someone to swap those out when converting a bike to Midnight. Another indicator is the triple trees are black, not silver. Be confident that it is a Midnight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well shoot must be a midnight then. It has the red dash and red pin stripes. The bars I like. The exhaust I’m changing for a 2 into 1 setup, whenever the world isn’t on a back order.

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,233 Posts
Just keep an eye out here and on the Facebook Warrior Sales group and you'll see one. You just have to be fast and have money in hand if you see what you want. Just yesterday someone posted a powercoated Speedstar Gen II exhaust for sale for $300. I paid $450 for mine and it was halfway through the process of having it's chrome stripped so there was still lots to do after I got it. I WISH this one had popped up a year ago but oh well. I'm happy with how mine turned out. Just gotta be fast and ready.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just keep an eye out here and on the Facebook Warrior Sales group and you'll see one. You just have to be fast and have money in hand if you see what you want. Just yesterday someone posted a powercoated Speedstar Gen II exhaust for sale for $300. I paid $450 for mine and it was halfway through the process of having it's chrome stripped so there was still lots to do after I got it. I WISH this one had popped up a year ago but oh well. I'm happy with how mine turned out. Just gotta be fast and ready.
I purchased a monster exhaust from pacific coast star so hopefully it’s a good system.

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,233 Posts
I've heard mixed reviews on that pipe but have no personal experience so I can't say for sure. Hope it works out for you! Post up some pics when you get it mounted up!

By chance do you know what mods you have with regards to intake? Do you have a fuel tuner such as a Power Commander or Cobra? And have you looked under your tank to see what your intake situation is? I see you have a Speedstar intake but it may not actually be functional (mine aren't).

It's a good idea when changing intake and exhaust components to adjust your fuel tuner to improve performance and ensure your engine is running optimally. Last comment on that, if you don't have high-compression pistons installed, make sure you are running 87 octane fuel. There are lots of discussions on why if you want to peruse and do your research but trust me, it helps to keep your engine running right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've heard mixed reviews on that pipe but have no personal experience so I can't say for sure. Hope it works out for you! Post up some pics when you get it mounted up!

By chance do you know what mods you have with regards to intake? Do you have a fuel tuner such as a Power Commander or Cobra? And have you looked under your tank to see what your intake situation is? I see you have a Speedstar intake but it may not actually be functional (mine aren't).

It's a good idea when changing intake and exhaust components to adjust your fuel tuner to improve performance and ensure your engine is running optimally. Last comment on that, if you don't have high-compression pistons installed, make sure you are running 87 octane fuel. There are lots of discussions on why if you want to peruse and do your research but trust me, it helps to keep your engine running right.
I have not popped the tank off. I did change the air filter to a k&n, one in it was trashed. It has a cobra fi2000 tuner on it haven’t much messed with it just been riding the bike making sure it’s good. Did an oil change on it. Used Mobil 1 V-twin. Heard of foam issues with factory Yamaha oil. Good to know I should be running a lower octane as I just put 91 in it. My state sucks for fuel I’m at about 5200-5500 feet above sea level and ride to over 10k. My octane levels are 86-89-91. Guess I should be putting in the 89.

·
Premium Member
'05 Midnight
2,233 Posts
There are two air filters in the stock setup. There's one on the side (in your Speedstar scoop) and the other in the under tank airbox. That one does most of the breathing and filtering for the engine so it's super important to change that one. I'd pop the tank off first before ordering a filter as you may have a BAK (big air kit) which means the side filter is meaningless and you won't have a normal filter under your tank. Definitely check into that soon.

The Cobra FI tuner is pretty common but I have no experience. Maybe someone that does can chime in on what needs to be done when changing the pipes if anything.

Honestly, I think the 86 would be better but maybe someone more knowledgeable about riding at altitude can provide some better guidance.

When you can, try to take some pictures of each side of your engine as well as under the seat and under the tank. This will really help if you run into issues or have questions. As you can see, we're all here to help and have a shared passion with these bikes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are two air filters in the stock setup. There's one on the side (in your Speedstar scoop) and the other in the under tank airbox. That one does most of the breathing and filtering for the engine so it's super important to change that one. I'd pop the tank off first before ordering a filter as you may have a BAK (big air kit) which means the side filter is meaningless and you won't have a normal filter under your tank. Definitely check into that soon.

The Cobra FI tuner is pretty common but I have no experience. Maybe someone that does can chime in on what needs to be done when changing the pipes if anything.

Honestly, I think the 86 would be better but maybe someone more knowledgeable about riding at altitude can provide some better guidance.

When you can, try to take some pictures of each side of your engine as well as under the seat and under the tank. This will really help if you run into issues or have questions. As you can see, we're all here to help and have a shared passion with these bikes.
Yeah y’all have already told me things I didn’t know about it. I’ll be sure to pop the tank off and see if it has the big air kit. I need to see if it has the block off plates for the AIS.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Welcome from Rutherford, NC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Went ahead and popped the tank off and was indeed the factory air box and filter. Went ahead and swapped out the filter for a k&n and will probably make my own high flow kit similar to the Ivan’s. Order some brake pads should get around to that this weekend. Was looking for front rotors and seems to only be a few options for $$$ the factory replacement from Yamaha are $301 each.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Well the front disk on partzilla are $200 each still a pretty penny but cheaper. Also I think that the radial brakes on the 06 and up are the same as the early 2000's R6.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts