RS Warrior Forum banner
  • Warrior of the Quarter Challenge 23Q1! Enter your bike HERE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to everyone on the forum. I happened to stumble upon this site while browsing around on the internet and decided to join up after looking through some of the posts. I am sure everyone has their own story about how they came about to be Warrior owners; here's mine.

I used to own a 2004 Yamaha R1; it was a fun bike of course, but not much fun on long rides. Anyway, a bunch of us decided to go out riding one Saturday and we rode pretty much all day from 9am until 6pm...it was the single-most miserable riding experience of my life. Everyone else was riding on Harleys or Goldwings or some sort or cruiser and I was the only one on a crotch rocket. By day's end, my ass and forearms were killing me. That pretty much sunk it - I had to get rid of the R1 if I was ever going to go out on a long ride like that again. Went to the dealer where I had originally bought the R1 and immediately fell in love with the looks and the feel of the Warrior. I traded in the R1 and couldn't be happier.

So far I have gotten rid of the ugly water heater and now have Samson shorty-slashers and a PC III installed. There's lots and lots of other things I would love to do, but for now I am content. I just need to get a rear brake relocator so I can get rid of that bracket. [xx(]

The only thing I can think of that is somewhat annoying with this bike is the random backfiring I get on upshifts; beyond that I love this ride! It's comfortable, it rides smooth, and I can't believe how deep I can lean it in corners; I've already scraped my heels without even thinking about it. Hope to get involved in lots of discussions on this board and maybe learn a few things about this bike.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
quote:Originally posted by RkyMtnWarrior

check your pipes for excessive black exhaust residue, just run your finger around the inside of the tail pipe. White = lean, black = rich.

Well, I run 100 octane and the residue in the pipes is always white. Whenever I have run 93 octane, the residue gets blacker. I don't know what that means but that's what happens.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
quote:Originally posted by The_Bear

Congrats on finding us and the Warrior. We are a nice amiable group. We even allow well manered Marines to join. [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

To cut down on the backfiring an AIS blockoff will help.

Well it's a good thing that I'm a former Marine then and not active anymore otherwise I would be in trouble. [}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

Thanks for the idea on the AIS blockoff mod; it's something I will keep in mind.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
quote:Originally posted by DarkStar

Welcome to the Forum.......First advice I would give you is to stop wasting your $$$$ on 100 octane for the Warrior. She does not need it.

Oh I know she doesn't need 100 octane...I just like the smell of it when it runs through her [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

Now if its something that's going to eventually damage the bike then of course I will stop. Please let me know if that is the situation.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I believe you are correct, whitefeather. The salesman at the dealership told me as well that the front forks on the Warrior were the same "inverted" forks on the R1, just adapted over to the Warrior.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
quote:Originally posted by RkyMtnWarrior

Darkstar is right stop using the 100 octane. A rich air-fuel mixture contains a little more fuel mixed with the air. For gasoline, 8:1 (8 parts air to 1 part fuel) is a very rich mixture. A slightly rich mixture tends to increase power; however, it also increases fuel consumption and exhaust emissions. An overly rich mixture will reduce engine power, foul spark plugs, and cause incomplete burning (black smoke at engine exhaust) A lean air-fuel mixture contains a large amount of air. For example, 20:1 would be a very lean mixture. A slightly lean mixture is desirable for high gas mileage and low exhaust emissions. Extra air in the cylinder ensures that all the fuel will be burned (leaving a white residue); however, too lean of a mixture can cause poor engine performance (lack of power, missing, and even engine damage). For gasoline engines 15:1 is optimal. This ratio will result in some black residue in the pipes.

Correct me if am wrong, but how does changing the octane rating change the air-fuel ratio? The only way to change that is to reprogram the ECM, right? The same amount of fuel is being mixed with the same amount of air regardless of the quality of the fuel or the quality of the air for that matter. I'm not trying to be a wise guy; I would just like to have this explained to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.