RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first want to say I am currently looking at a Warrior or the M109R. I am trying to compair the two and I like to looks of both. I am not too concerned about the overall top speed of the bike but I do like to have enough to get in/out of trouble. (more out of trouble) I have ridden the 9 but not the Warrior. Being just under 5'10" I thought that the controls of the 9 were too far to reach.

My questions: Are the foot controls closer on the Yamaha than the 9?
I have read here that the bike is narrower, lighter and handles better, but is the suspension like the 9 or is it softer?

Forgive me if I have posted these questions in the wrong area.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Well, 1st things 1st.

Welcome Mic16 to the Warrior forum.
This site does have a search feature where you can look for topics that have been posted already comparing the 109 to the warrior. There are plenty of opinions out here thats for sure.

I personaly have not comnpared but I am riding an 02 warrior which I LOVE. But if you try the search feature you just might find plenty of opinions and comparisons.

enjoy!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Welcome 2 the forum. the controls are quite abit closer on the warrior and most people over 6' have to move / extend them. If you ride a warrior you wont be able to wipe the smile off your face when you thow it into a corner. the warrior has been out long enough to get all the bugs out. M109R is still in the learning curve
[url="http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e092d694cae3aabe8fef4d4e6ca82600&topic=19137.0>http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e092d694cae3aabe8fef4d4e6ca82600&topic=19137.0

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I can't be objective. I love my warrior, and have never rode an M109. However, every M109 owner I have ever talked to, had a Warrior and is not letting the Warrior go.

(Both of them) They said they are completely different bikes. The Warrior is quicker on initial acceleration, handles the twisties better. The M109 is a better highway and straight line bike.

I'm about the same height as you, the peg reach is very comfortable for me, but on a long trip I'd like a bit more room. Not a real problem. I have an '02. The '04s and later have the pegs a bit further forward. And a lot of guys have used extended foot controls.

Either one is a good bike, but the guys and gals here are cooler.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
I'm 5'9" and I fit the bike very comfortably. The Warrior looks a lot better than the M109. At least when you get rid of the bazooka exhaust, which is an easy mod. The M109 has a real strange headlight cowl, pretty ugly in fact. I'm not sure how you would mod that.
If you get the Warrior this is a helluva forum to belong to.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
MIC16,

Welcome to the forums!

I too looked at the M109 and the Warrior, as well as the VTX1800...And many other bikes when I was looking to get a street bike. After almost 2-1/2 years of doing research and comparing all the bikes out there. I finally narrowed it down to two bikes. They were the Warrior and the VTX1800...I ruled the the M109 because of a few reasons...

One was that it was just too new a model to get one and hope that it wasn't plagued with problems, as most first production bikes are. Been there, done that...[/emoticons/emotion-6.gif]

Second was the looks...I had only looked at the bike in ads, on the Net and saw them in T.V. commercials. Once the local dealership got one in...I went to look at one in person...It just did not strike me as a good looking bike. It was BIG and bulky...One of the reasons I was considering the 109 was because it came with a 240 rear tire in stock form. But the bike was so BIG and bulky, it made the massive 240 tire look small. Basically the bike was ugly up close and personal...

Third was after I test rode one I realized it just wasn't what I was looking for...While it was quick...I didn't like the way it handled...It felt heavy and unbalanced...The controls weren't in the greatest position either...

Fourth was that there wasn't any mods available for it...And if you don't have mods for it, then you can't make the bike yours!

Of course you probably figured out...I decided on the Warrior...It was exactly what I was looking for...It was quick, handled good, felt good to ride, and there were a sh!t load of mods for it.

In case you're wondering why I ruled out the VTX1800 was that it didn't handle that great either. It was quick...But it too felt heavy and unbalanced to me...Plenty of mods for it though...But after I put the two bikes next to each other it was clear to me that the Warrior beat it hands down in looks.

So in conclusion, the Warrior is a better overall bike when compared to the 109 or the VTX (And I know you didn't reference the VTX...). The Warrior looks way better...It's sleeker, and it flows together...There's nothing there that doesn't look it doesn't belong. It has nice lines and is just one beautiful bike...

As for power it may not have the most power, but it does have torque and will pull hard. Plus there are plenty of options out there to increase the power or make it perform better.

And MAN! Does the Warrior handle like a dream...Especially for a cruiser...The twisties are no problem for the Warrior...It feels light and balanced in the curves, as well as it does in the straight aways.

The controls and the seating position feel good for most riders...Even though taller riders opt to move the controls forward...I kind of like their position and I'm 6'-1"...

Oh! And let me tell you about ALL the mods there are for the Warrior...Well...OK...May be I can't list them ALL but there is a bunch to choose from...

You just gotta LOVE the Warrior...

Anyway I'm kind of bias and all the above is just my opinion...But I don't think you'd regret if you got a Warrior...And I feel you'd LOVE it if you did...And would be so happy with your choice...

But it's up to you...Good luck with your decision!

Mark aka Mad Man

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I just don't think that 9 is sexy. It's like choosing between the Simpson sisters. Ashley's not ugly, But have you seen Jessica? PURE SEX!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advise guys/gals! It is nice to be welcomed. To fill you in on my riding style...I like to just cruise and take in the scenery. Don't get me wrong I like to go quick but with caution. I like the fact that the Warrior does handle better than the 9, but when I rode the 9 I thought it handled relatively well for its size. So if what you all say is true that the Warrior can out handle the 9, then this thing must handle great. The top speed thing just isn't for me or for the people that I ride with so having the fastest bike really doesn't matter to me. If it is comfortable and handles well it is for me.

I do have to say I have brought up this topic on other sites and all they have to say is "the 9 is the fastest" and has a 240 tire. So they don't really have much else to say then, do they? The Warrior and the V-Max were the first two cruisers I looked at on-line and I just couldn't keep my eyes off it. Then the 9 came out and I really liked the look and the Warrior idea was put on the shelf. I started to compare them and I really took a good look at them and the Warrior's styling reeled me back in.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you want 'the fastest' bike, get a sport-bike. If you want a great all-around bike that is plenty fast, comfortable, handles well and looks great, then go for a Warrior. /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

·
Registered
334 Posts
Gotta go with the WARRIOR. Nice looking air cooled machine. You dont want a big old nasty radiator on your bike? Do you? If you go the VMAX route, then wait till next year. Big changes!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts