RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a bike this year and I'm leaning toward the Warrior, mostly because of the value for the price. I like the look of the bike a lot and probably would never use the machine to it's full capacity.

I'm also looking at the following bikes (very wide range) - VTX1800, Triumph Speedmaster, Star Roadliner, Suzuki M109R and the Vrod. Yeah, I'm all over the place, but I kinda like them all for wht they are.

Here are a few questions I hope you all can answer:

1) Is the Warrior good for slow cruising as well as fast?
2) How is the reliability of this bike?
3) What do custom paint jobs cost? I'm sure it's a broad range but if some of you have pics of custom paint jobs with cost to get it done that would be very helpful.
4) What should I specifically look for when shopping for a used bike? The reason I ask is because there seems to be good deals on used Warriors with many mods I like, but I'm leary of bad setups and problems.
5) Why should I buy a Warrior and not the other bikes?

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
1) Yes - and it has a nice low rumble when trolling.

2) The primary reliability issue has been the CPS. There is a recall currently on to address this. Otherwise very reliable.

3) Custom jobs will range from $1000 on up - the cost will be pretty much the same regardless of the kind of bike.

4) If it's an '02 or '03 - look for one that either has not had the transmission recall (you can get free labor and install HC pistons and a better ratio 5th gear) - OR find an '02/ '03 already WITH these mods. Other mods are too plentiful to cover - you'd have to look at a potential bike and size it up on site.

5) Why a Warrior? It all depends on what you want. I like the "hot rod" feel and look of the bike. Roadliners and VRods are nice too. Whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
5. I like my Warrior because it is a great looking muscle cruiser that can be easily modded for how you like to ride, plenty of power that can be increased with a few inexpensive mods (unless you get to the high compression mods), easy to ride down the road and performs very well in the corners.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey Jaco Im a new Warrior owner as of this past saturday. I have been shopping and surfing and reading for the past month or so. I had my mind set on the Harley Davidson "Nightster" or just a Harley in general. Until I test drove the Warrior. Once you sit on this bike and rip into this beast you will fully understand what it is Im talking about. So I say go and test drive one and then REALLY step back and look at all the other bikes out there. This is really a "one of a kind" ride but what really turned my head is this site and how you can Modify theese rides until now one knows what the **** you got.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] and to me that is where the real joy comes in. Like Yamaha's site says "We build it and you make it your own". As far as the motors in theese things I had the same worry and many of the members on this list reassured me that the motors are bullet proof. One guy told me that he has been hammering the sh#$! out of his for 5 years and it just won't quit. So got test drive one and rip into it. Just try to keep the smile from stealer (Ooops!) dealer when you park it. OH, and wipe the wet spot from the seat, management frowns on that.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Mavrick

·
Registered
308 Posts
yes go test ride one. i havnt carried the tools that came with it since i brought it home. makes a nice spot for the pc111 too. bike night- lots of attention. harley guys come ask what it is and cant believe it cost half of what they paid.

·
Registered
776 Posts
y d WARRIOR? just like d rest of us - it's got a better magic that d other bikes - more bike 4 d money and less down time than a hardley

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
No matter which one you choose they are all great bikes. My first question that I would ask is how much do I want to spend, how much I want to mod? There are so many after market parts that any bike you sit on you can change to any taste (seats, controls and such). You are always going to pay for the name Harley be it when you buy the bike, to the parts that follow.
Take weight and size into account, how much weight do you want to throw around. Are you hitting curves or just flat lands?
The Road Star, Road Liner, VTX and 109 will beat a Warrior on comfort due to weight and size. The Warrior, Triumph and V-rod are more agile and really have the grunt for play.
I picked the Warrior because it can cruise better then average say top 25, handle the curves better (in the top 10 range)and have the power to play(also top 10 range). Ease to mod (top 10 again).

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
i would have to agree with all these guys, all the bikes mentioned are good bikes in there own right but for me the warrior is "THE" one and i havent regreted one minute of ownership. good luck in what ever you choose and if you pick the warrior we hope to see some pics asap

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
Besides the bike you will get incredible support from the fellas here on this site. This place is family to anyone who rides, no matter what they ride.
You came to a good place hopefully you'll make the best decision for you.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
jacothedog,

I was like you when I was looking for get a street bike...I looked for over 2 years...And I mean I looked at just about every bike there is, or at least I felt like I did. You named the same bikes that I was researching or looking into getting. I narrowed it down to two bikes, after many long hours of research and doing my homework to see which one was the best for ME.

It's always good to get other people's opinions, but just remember it's just their opinions. The decision is up to you...

Anyway, I'll throw my answers to your questions into the pot, as well. But again remember my answers are just my opinion...

1) Is the Warrior good for slow cruising as well as fast?
Yes! You can cruise slow on the Warrior...Just be prepared to feel the power wanting to be unleashed.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] Just kidding![/emoticons/emotion-5.gif] Anyway the Warrior is great for slow cruising! It is a very well balanced bike even at slow speeds.

2) How is the reliability of this bike?
It's probably just as reliable as any other bike out there. I have only had one minor issue with mine. And that was a loose coil wire...There has been a couple of recalls on the Warrior, but nothing I would call major. If you properly maintain your bike, it will last forever...

3) What do custom paint jobs cost?
Custom paint jobs can be expensive depending on what you want...Even if the paint job is simple, depending on the quality of the paint used, it can still be expensive. I recently got a quote for the custom paint job that I wanted. The quote was in-between $1500.00 to $2000.00, depending on the quality of the paint. The paint job I wanted is just a basic black with faded silver racing stripes going from the front fender, onto the lower cowl, across the gas tank and down the rear fender. The paint guy said that depending on the quality of the paint I choose would determine the cost of my paint job, so he threw a rough estimate at me.

I'm sure you can get a cheaper paint job...But if you're going to get a custom paint job done, then why get a cheap one...

4) What should I specifically look for when shopping for a used bike?
If you are shopping for a used bike, then first thing is mileage, then make sure that the bike was properly maintained. You know the oil was changed regularly and stuff like that. Then go over the whole bike and check for any loose, broken or missing parts. That's always a tell-tale sign of neglect...Start the bike up and let it run for awhile...Listen for any kind of strange noise coming from the engine, inspect for oil leaks, see if there is any smoke or strange odor coming from the exhaust. Look for damage to the body work and frame, and don't be afraid to ask the owner, if the bike has ever been laid down. Sit on the bike and work the controls, make sure they feel good and are working properly. Then asks the owner if you can take the bike for a test ride...If they agree...Good! If not, I'll probably walk away...If you do get to test ride the bike...Go easy at first and listen for any noise coming from the transmission and the lower-end. Make sure the suspension is working properly. Check the brakes and make sure they don't feel soft, and that there's no noise coming from them. Make sure the clutch feels good and isn't slipping and that the gears are engaging properly. Once you're sure the bike is good, then hammer on it a few times. Just to be sure everything is O.K.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Oh...And don't forget to kick the tires![/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

5) Why should I buy a Warrior and not the other bikes?
That's a question you'll have to answer yourself...Do your homework...Take everything you want in a bike and write it down, then make a list of each bike's pros and cons and see which one gets the most pros. Then that will probably be the bike for you...

I hope I helped...Best of luck!

Mark aka Mad Man

·
Registered
288 Posts
any body else look at the member number? 397???????? doesnt that strike anyone else as odd? maybe its just me, but idk.

the warrior is the apitomy of the best bike made. if you want to spend all your time riding, get a warrior. if you like spending your time in the shop, get a h-d. simple physics.

Steve

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I was torn between the M109 and the Warrior. Got my 03 warrior w/3100 mi. on it just under a month ago, and just passed 5100 today. Can't say I'm getting much else done. Can't say I care much. Other than 4000 mi maintenance, haven't had to touch it.

Yes 397 is weird--maybe a reassign for someone who dropped out???

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 04Warrior102

any body else look at the member number? 397???????? doesnt that strike anyone else as odd? maybe its just me, but idk.

...member since 11/2/02

He must have been looking at the Warrior way back then as well...

...yup just found it. Posted on 11/9/02
http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=967

Topic ID 967! Phew - that's been a while back!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did the same thing when I was looking for a different ride. Then one day it hit me and from that point on it was nothing but a Warrior for me. I bought an 02 with 1750 miles on it for
$7500. Never one regret. What a bike. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow. I forgot I even registered that long ago. I ended up buying a Honda VTX1300 and sold it 2 years later. It was a solid cruiser but a bit generic. I should have bought the Warrior. I'd probably still have it!!! Anyway, keep the suggestions coming. ANother question I have is what is the approximate cost to go to a 240 tire on the RSWarrior?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
jacothedog,

I also was looking at the VTX before I got my Warrior...Only the VTX1800...Once I rode the Warrior after I had test rode the VTX, it was clear to me what bike I wanted. The WARRIOR!![^]

Anyway to answer your question in regard to the cost of a 240 rear tire kit for the Warrior. It depends on how you want to go...You can go with just getting a swing arm and modified rear wheel and then get a 240mm rear tire. Which would be the cheaper route...Or you can go full on with a swing arm, custom wheels, matching rotors and pulleys, relocation kit for the rear brake assembly, and whatever else you can think of. Definitely the most expensive route, but well worth the time, effort and expense...

The cheaper route would run you about $550.00 to $750.00 for the swing arm depending on your choice of finish. And then getting a modified rear wheel, which would run about $600.00. Then all you need to get is a rear tire for about $250.00. Or you can get a complete rear tire kit for around $1500.00 to $2400.00. Again depending on the finish you want...And some complete kits include a matching front rim...

Basically I'm giving you a rough estimate for the cost, and the cost will vary depending on what you want. If you're looking for a mod that will really set off your Warrior, then go with the FAT rear tire kit. It really makes the Warrior look so GOOD...And [email protected], as well...[^][/emoticons/emotion-1.gif][/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

Don't believe me!?[:0] Just check out these pictures...

Mark aka Mad Man

·
Registered
334 Posts
Welcome and purchase a Warrior. You will not find any better air cooled VTwin in the market for the money. Great for cruising, racing, and handles the twisties very well!!!! I bought an 2002 with all the engine upgrades completed. Very happy with the 106 RWHP!!! Excellent handling bike!!!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Tons of reasons to go with the warrior over the others. Any warrior owner could list them out: price to value, available accessories, reliability, modification potential, raw power, the list goes on and on. But there is one immeasurable reason: the bike is pure f***ng magic.

Insert Image:

24.33KB

·
Registered
395 Posts
wow does madman have alot to say! its all good though, very informative.

---------------------------------------------------------------------as far as which bike to get, of course the warrior is the best, thats what drove you here to ask that question. you really want the warrior don't you!DON'T YOU! DONT YOU. [}/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts