RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, guys, this is going to be windy for a second post, but I HAAAD to do it for two reasons: to get it off my chest, and to make all of you feel comparatively better that your first week of ownership (and the last week, regardless) wasn't as crappy as mine.

To appreciate, here's my newbie info.: Age 38, lawyer, work about 60 hrs./wk., started riding again about a year ago after an almost 20 yr. hiatus, with several years prior dirt and street bike experience. Took the MSF course with the wife (she has owned a Honda S2000 in the past and has great hand/eye, and took to it like a duck to water) and bought a couple of used bikes for her to learn on and for me a "refresher".

After many miles and much practice, we decided to buy a new '06 Midnight Warrior (his) and Blue FZ6 (hers), which we brought home a week ago, without any real problems. I took a much needed week of vacation this week to get acquainted with the bike and ride off the break-in miles. Since Mon. of this week, all the following have happened, in order:

1-Dropped a wrench on the tank and chipped the paint adjusting the right mirror (yeah, I know, I should have gotten out an "engine apron" or towel to protect the paint, but I figured surely I could manage to turn one tool in one direction w/o dropping it--d'oh!).

2-Two hours later the wife drops the Fizzer after deciding to take the opportunity to practice starts from a steep incline from a parking lot onto a street--right mirror, fairing, rear brake pedal damaged (you want irony? she placed an order for frame sliders just before we went riding).

3-In the process of falling off the bike, she manages to bang her new $750.00 Arai Corsair on the pavement and chip the paint job on it, too. Now we'll have to X-ray it to be sure the shell isn't cracked.

4-Today, I need to go in to the office to pick up a file for Mon., and on the way there, the brand new Warrior gets a nail in the tire and has a flat halfway there, out in the boonies.

5-My wife, who was riding with me, since the road is very twisty and fun to ride, took off for home to get the trailer. In the process, trying too hard to hurry quickly back to me, she jackknifes the trailer into our Avalanche on the way out of the driveway, puncturing the right rear quarter panel.

6-Only one dealer, 60 miles away, has a rear for the Warrior. They close at 6:00; it's now 5:00; and I want my bike back to ride this weekend--you do the math. I've trailered bikes many times for many miles without a single problem, but I've never been in that kind of a hurry before. Yes, the bike was all the way in the wheel chock; yes, we used good tie-downs front and rear and compressed the front forks; yes, I had the bike in gear; but at some point, we goofed, because the bike fell over just as we were turning onto the street on which the dealer is located. One silver lining in the clouds: the bike fell right, and the water heater broke the fall, with only a tiny black chip off the muffler and another small chip off the stock air box cover.

7-Service manager looks at us like we are the biggest idiots on planet earth, and I know what he'll be telling his kids over dinner. Furthermore, he has the gall to give me grief about using fix-a-flat on the tire, claiming it can be corrosive on wheels. I ask if I was supposed to maneuver my bike on a totally flat tire and warp the rim instead. I guess he's just peeved he or one of his guys will have to scrape off the goo from the inside of the rim, but I'm pretty sure that at worst, some minor pitting on the aluminum inside of the rim is preferable to having to replace the whole rim because of warping.

Now I get to drive back late tomorrow afternoon to get my bike. And yeah, I know--the week coulda been worse. One of us could have been hurt or killed; the house could have burned down; etc., but it could have been a lot better, too.

On the positive side, I LOVE the Warrior, and the very tiny paint chips will be easy to fix. And thanks to all the time I spent doing critical "research" on this forum before buying the bike, I think I'll have to mod my way thru the psychological scarring. [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] On order to date: Flat bars w/smooth billet risers; Cruiselite bags; tach cowl; lower cowl; boulevard windshield; mini-rider floorboards; black "aggressive" mirrors from Moto-leather; Iso-grips with accent rings; and Vanson leathers. I'm largely computer illiterate, but once I install all the stuff, I'll try to post some pics.

Perhaps with the chip on the muffler and airbox, some performance mods are needed . . .

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Tough week...

Regarding, "Ride off the break-in miles" - perhaps you aren't aware of the concept of "Hard" break-in? Check outhttp://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

With a warmed up engine, full acceleration/deceleration off the showroom floor. Brake pads need more break-in than modern engines. It's a controversial subject and my experience is limited to rebuilding car engines in my garage, I'm not an engine rebuilder in any way, (the oil out of my rebuilds sparkes like the light of the sun after 20 miles - you need sunglasses to look at it) but I am a believer in the hard break-in.

As the link suggests, change the oil after 20 miles. I changed my oil after 30 and at 150-200 (hazy memory) - meanwhile giving the engine all it could take. If your bike has over 20 miles it may not make a difference at this point (according to this "motoman" link) and keep in mind that a greater percentage of motorcycle accidents happen with a new to you bike - and judging by your track record in the first week I do hesitate to recommend the hard break-in to you [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

The most important thing is change your oil now.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Man, that is a pretty bad week! Glad no personal injury and that should have been about 7 years worth of bad luck in 1 week! Hope it turns around for yall!

·
Registered
4 Posts
All I can say is it should get better from here, I hope. Also you have a great reason to start those mods early, (Like anyone needs a reason), good luck and good riding for you and your wife.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quote:Originally posted by daveinoregon

Tough week...

Regarding, "Ride off the break-in miles" - perhaps you aren't aware of the concept of "Hard" break-in? Check outhttp://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

. . . keep in mind that a greater percentage of motorcycle accidents happen with a new to you bike - and judging by your track record in the first week I do hesitate to recommend the hard break-in to you [/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

First, I'm well acquainted with the hard break-in theory, since I've owned several sports cars and the exact same debate you guys have gone through on here appears on all the sports car forums. My thinking has always been that if mechanical engineers who have experience with that particular engine helped to formulate the break-in recommendations, I'd just go with that.

Second, knowing that even highly experienced riders often have accidents while "getting to know" a new bike, I sure wasn't about to opt for hard break-in for me, since I was stepping up all the way from an 1100 Honda Sabre to this bad boy.

For those of you in favor of the "ride it off the showroom floor like you stole it" approach, I will admit you've got a good argument in pointing out that IF you guys had the best way to break-in a bike (or car), a manufacturer wouldn't want to make a recommendation that could get them sued if someone gets killed, AND they wouldn't want to suggest an oil change after only 20-30 miles for marketing reasons.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Glad to hear you are in good spirits still. I would spend a few days in the house though, just until the bad luck cloud blows over. haha. Welcome.

·
Registered
59 Posts
First of all welcome. That is a pretty harsh sequence of events but you seem to be handling it as well as can be expected. I think your "love" of the warrior has kept you going. Better luck next week!

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Dobervol, welcome Bro - you finally made it through the week. Reading your post made my heart sink further and further with each paragraph. I'm sympathetic as I've had weeks like that and you just never know when a bad run of luck like that is going to end. Hopefully it's over now and the fun can begin, just take it easy, please!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hey whats up bro?? Sorry to hear about all of your troubles the first week. i was glad to read that you still are enjoying the bike though. And hopefully, things will get better.
Im in the proccess now of buying the same warrior as yours. Im soo excited I cant stand it. [8D]
How does your wife like the FZ6? I actually ride an 05 FZ1 right now, and other than it being a lil small for me[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] I love it. Its a beautiful bike with lots of power.
Good luck mods, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said? Take it easy and enjoy, you're in for a fun ride, well, when the black cloud blows over anyway!! Good Luck![/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
4 Posts
****.. Your week makes mine pale in comparison...

Hope that the next week is much better than this one.. /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

1 - 20 of 25 Posts