RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really appreciate a list of the new features I'm meant to be looking for and enjoying. For example, someone posted they really enjoy the new RSS feeds but I don't even know what that means
. Perhaps I'm the only confused person here but this is my favorite website so I'm really trying to like it. It doesn't matter ifI don't since the old version is no longer around[:'(].

I'd also appreciate a couple of reasons why we had to change.....it always helps knowing a reason not just ...it's an update:} A big thank you to anyone who can feel my pain and help
:}:}

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Here is a good description. I use Outlook 2007 myself for these. If you have outlook 2003 there is addon software you can get for it to read/update your feeds.

Also, if you use Internet Explorer 7 it save the feeds to your favorites bar. IE6 doesn't have the RSS feeds built in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(file_format)

You can do a lookup in Google for RSS feeds for all kinds of info.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
i don't get it either. i'm not happy. i realize that doesn't make a difference, but this new site sucks. probably for technical people, it's better, but we aren't technical people. we're just people who ride. now i have to be a genius and figure out this whole new site. great. i've got nothing better to do than spend all summer doing just that. i was about to contribute but i don't know if it's worth it. yeah yeah, i know. big cry-baby. you can say what you like, but this new site is NOT as good as the old one. not for the avevage joe. i was computer illiterate when i found the old site and could still figure it out. i'm not much better off now , but this just looks like a mess to me. and what's up with the " SEARCH " function. W T F !!!

·
Registered
850 Posts
yeah, i have been complaining in every post i reply in since sunday. i dont care for the new site either. i think it wont be as popular as it was. i have been around awhile but i think i will be taking baby steps away. the other site was the best forum i ran across. this new one is just like all the others i dont like. again, i really appreciate all the hardwork to make it possible, but this new site is just not for me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Smeej said:
Here is a good description. I use Outlook 2007 myself for these. If you have outlook 2003 there is addon software you can get for it to read/update your feeds.

Also, if you use Internet Explorer 7 it save the feeds to your favorites bar. IE6 doesn't have the RSS feeds built in.

...or there is a brillant free app for RSS/Atom feeds: www.klipfolio.com.

Just install it and play around with it. You will soonrealise, how quickly you can go through TONS of news, sometimes without going to their web pages.

There are also somesections with so-called klips (or snap-ins). Check them out, you will get an idea...

Anyway, I do like the new look, but I can see that this forum's main subject/activityis radically changinginto an IT support case...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Smeej said:

...or there is a brillant free app for RSS/Atom feeds: www.klipfolio.com.

Just install it and play around with it. You will soonrealise, how quickly you can go through TONS of news, sometimes without going to their web pages.

There are also somesections with so-called klips (or snap-ins). Check them out, you will get an idea...

Anyway, I do like the new look, but I can see that this forum's main subject/activityis radically changinginto an IT support case...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Change is good. Give it some time. I'm sure as they get to know the software and adjust it and add features it will grow on us. It was the same when the internet started. Its new so there will be a learning curve just like the first time you found a forum. As time goes on you will adjust. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PLEASE tell me how it is better. I have asked several times and all I've seen is I can get RSS feeds. OK, I'm a dumass firefighter but I don't even know what that means other than real simple syndicates. The old site was so excellent whereas this one's homepage even looks poor. I've yet to find significant improvement. I know shut the **** up and be patient......I'm sorry:{

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It sure looks better but is no where near as easy to use and that should be the top reason. Looking cool is not doing it for me!

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
An RSS feed is a fancy way of getting news from sites (from us it would be posts, I assume) streamed to you on another, site or device like your cell phone, or a PDA. It's cool, if your into it. I don't use it all that much, but I do sometimes. As for other options, here is a copy of helpful hints I found and posted in another thread:

Ok, have we all recovered from the shock of a new site that's not exactly the same as the old one?

Here a few helpful hints for navigating this site:

PM's

Well, just like the last site, there's a few ways to do it.

If you just want to see your inbox, click on "inbox" in the upper right hand corner.

If
you want to only see PM's you have not replied to, click on your name,
in the upper right hand corner. This will take you to your profile.
Scroll down and you will see a list of PM's not replied to.

You can also click on "contact" above anyone's post's and see a whole drop down menu of things to do, including send a PM.

I
haven't figured out how to send a single PM to multiple recipients yet,
it may not be a option currently available, or I may just not see it.

Active Topics and the Forum Screen

The direct link for Active topics is:

http://rswarrior.com/forums/TopicsActive.aspx

Bookmark
it if you want to jump right to it. I'm sure Carknee will add a link
to the home and forum screen as soon as he can. For now you can find it
on the forums page on the right hand side about half way down, is a
list that says "ACTIVE" on top. Click a a link to see a specific
active post or click on active to see all of them.

This site
is more than just a forum now. We have blogs, classifieds and photo
sections like before, a download area, news, and like the old one,
Carknee will add new features when the are desired and when he can.

If
you click on the Forums page, you will see all the forums at a glance.
You can also find a bunch of helpful links on that page on the right
hand side. Like:
[*]View all users[*]Posts you have not read[*]Forum Subscriptions[/list]Check out Forum Subscriptions for something a lot of you have been asking for, for years.There are also lists and or links for:My DiscussionsActiveUnanswered (threads)
Most Active Users

Other things to play around with are your profile, located in the upper right hand corner. Site options, signatures (text and pics you can add to the end of all your posts) and avatars (pictures you can put next to your name), forum preferences, bio, password and statistics, about page, and preferences can all be found here.

Also if you view your public profile, by clicking on your name, either in a post or in the upper right hand corner of every screen, you will find a host of other helpful links, to many to bother to type out.

Don't be aftraid to stop crying and start clicking on things, you won't hurt it and you figure it out soon enough. You are already posting, so you've won half the battle.

Hope this helps some of you struggling to get used to the new format.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Like it has been said many times......it will take awhile getting use to. I'm also having a hard time surfing the forum, just hope I can overcome my frustrations and continue to enjoy it like I did the old one!

But where are my old PM's ? Moderators!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm with ya, FC. I want so much to like the new site andI keep checking back each day and trying a few things, but end up feeling as if my best friends moved out of town and I'm left trying to talk to their parents. We just don't understand each other.

I'm sure Carknee put a lot of effort into it, so Iwon't be too criticalyet. I'm left thinking that others who have different computers see something different. I don't have firefox, I'm still not understanding whatRSS is,and I don't even know how to determine what version of internet explorer I have. I'm a fairly smart guy, but not when it comes to newtechnology.

I'll keep checking back to try to find interesting topics. I liked reading the new topics of the day just like the news of the day. At least I finally got my avatar on after the 3 days of trying. I still have one more question...who is the chick on FC's avatar?

·
Registered
212 Posts
actually amost of the functionality seems to be here just in different places and looks different. Go to forums and click on active or unanswered and you are there. In preferences you can decide to see them flat or nested. At the top of the post you can find related posts. the rss feeds are kind of nice. Good Job Carnee. No good deed goes unpunished.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RR...That's Shania but she's not gyrating like she should be:{:{

Sangathor--- Thank you very much for the hints as to what I'm supposed to be enjoying other than purple cursive!!!

Didn't know I was crying though......I'm really wanting to love my favorite website again..........

·
Registered
12,497 Posts
357WARRIOR said:
Like it has been said many times......it will take awhile getting use to. I'm also having a hard time surfing the forum, just hope I can overcome my frustrations and continue to enjoy it like I did the old one!

But where are my old PM's ? Moderators!

I agree with you, I was just getting back to being on the site everyday, but **** this new one is harder then the last update.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
sangathor. the voice of reason. thanks for the tips. at least that's better than "here ya go. figure it out" still sucks though. but ****, what am i gonna do, buy an m109?. i guess i

ll work at the new site for a couple of years and then he can change it again. besides, their site is worse than ours. geez, i guess maybe this is STILL the best site going

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
All I can say is to me this new site really sucks. I just don't come here much anymore because it is so hard to use.

sorry

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Sorry, but I’m going insane!!!

It takes forever to
load a page and most times it just times out with “Problem loading” displayed,
especially when trying to reply to a topic.

I dont' think it's our T-1 connection either.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts