RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been a fan of the warrior for some time now, but, haven't been in a position to get one, right now i'm getting close and want to get more info...

first thing i NEED to know is how well does this thing respond to pipes and an EFI tune (that stock exhaust has GOT to go)...

any reliability issues yet???

TIA!!! TB

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Tony,
You should read some of the posts in here.

People have gotten 90+ HP with just changing the pipes, adding a PCIII, and re-doing the intake.

One person has had problems with the engine.

-CarKnee

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Hey Tony, If its the VTX or the Warrior you first need the PC111 even in stock trim. It just straightens out the injection & makes it tuneable. Just consider it like buying all the jets and needles & gaskets you would need if it were a carburated bike. Then whatever mod you do simply install a new map (free download from dynojet) & your pretty well dialed in.

About the only thing I know of that is not reliable is the rear tire. Sometimes the cord starts showing through around 3K. I have a hunch it might be due to smoke but I'm not quite sure as yet. Smoke/tire testing is still in progress :~).

IMHO:
You can lay her over in a corner till your boot is jammed into the cases with the pegs & she tells you she wants more. The brakes are good enough to lock up both the wheels @ 60mph (ask me how I know this). Its got torque, see the thing about smoke above.

Later,
Churchkey

·
Registered
700 Posts
In addition to Churchkey's comments.....

1. It'll run with any cruiser out there, save maybe an experianced V-Rod owner..

2. It'll go like a Bat outa **** even 2 up.

3. The handling in the twisties is awe inspiring, even in the rain!

4. The bike wont bite you unless you do something really stupid.

5. Torque is akin to a locomotive, and WICKED burnouts!

6. It draws a crowd every where you go.

7. You wont see yourself wanting for more for some time.

8. The bike is at a great starting point for some wicked mods.

9. It looks fast even when parked

10. You gain all of us here in the forum to help answer almost any question you could have.

Cheers!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hey tony_b
Welcome aboard, you'll find a wealth of info from the guys here PLUS a wicked sense of humor, love the smoke comment churchkey ... lol
Seems letting the smoke out really F***'s up most things . .LMAO

·
Registered
872 Posts
There are certainly some great deals out there on the warrior if you look hard enough. It is a really fun bike.

Definately look through these forums. There are things that you should be aware of.

The cables are not refined and should have been run more neatly or in the handle bars.

There seems to be vibration in the front breaks some you break at low speeds.

If in need you can kill whole tribes of people with the stock exhaust pipe if you take the time to take it off and are strong enough to lift it.

And the bike runs lean causing poping evening with the stock pipe on.
So a PC3 is an excellent idea. I just ordered mine today.

AND it is somewhat hard to find custom parts for the bike. Baronscustom.com is one, but they don't have much yet. So you will have to do measuring to see what will work or not. I put on some sweet grips from Rizoma, a company out of italy, that happened to be sized just right. Pipes seem to be more easy to get now...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any reccomendations on pipes??? i've been a big fan of HardKrome based on what a buddy of mines experience has been (about 6000 miles on his midnight star and they look perfect still and sound great)... how do they do on the dyno though??? what about some of the 2-1 pipes, is there any inherent advantage to them??? vance and hines stuff any good??? one guy i know has a set of bub's but he only has about 1000 miles on them so no long term personal experiences that i know of...

seems like a pc3 is a forgone conclusion, even in stock form, might as well order it when i get the bike, huh????

what about the air cleaner??? what has to be done there??? are we talkin about a K&N filter and that's it??

do racetech make a gold valve kit for the forks??? i'd imagine they would since they are similar to the R1 (the last bike i had was a farily tricked out 99 R1 with about 145hp at the wheel)... handling is important to me, being a former racer I just have to have the suspension setup for me and if small improvements can be made i'd make them...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tony, check around several dealships before you decide. Yamaha didn't promote the warrior very well so they're alot sitting on showroom floors.Lot's of dealers in Dallas where I live are putting pipes,PClll's,new handle bars etc.just to move them and the mod's are rolled into the financing[extra $ of course]but hassle free. I got the color I wanted with all the mods. It never hurts to ask most dealers will give you what you want, it's Oct. after all.My wife has a Triumph Thunderbird Sport, my son has 02' R1 and I can't keep them off my warrior.It's the most fun bike I've ever riden.This forum is what helped me decide on the warrior I passed up a sweet deal on Speed Triple with no regrets. Good Luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts