RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I have swayed my friend over to the relm of the warrior!!! [8D] I have known john for over 5 years now, we started off working at Capital one together back in 2000. since then we have been good friends going to bike, car shows, and racing events. 2 years ago (oct 04), he got his first bike, a 93 kawasaki ninja (i made the transition to street bikes on his bike). him having a bike prompted me to get my bike. so i can thank him for getting my warrior.

As you may remember, me and john were both in a serious accident together shortly after i got my bike. we had collided we were both fairly new riders, and we did alot of things wrong.... we both spent a week in the hospital, me with 5 broken ribs, and a lacerated spleen, he broke his wrist and shattered his knee cap (requiring surgery, and lots of rehab). at the time we were both bay flighted to the hospital. that would normally hamper most friendships. (for a long time i felt i was at fault since i was the rear rider, and i rode into him, but john told me it was an accident, he never held it against me, he said he we both made mistakes, since he was braking an drifted into my lane) both our parents agreed and fought to have us in the same hospital room. so after 1 night they rolled us together. that was a bonding experiance of a lifetime, hearing the person next to you in pain. and doing everything in your gimp power to help them (like call a nurse, since we were both bed ridden), and if one person was up the other person was up with him, we spent many nights talking about riding again and not waiting to get back on....

i was the first to ride again, as after 4 months i was nearly fully healed, and during my recovery i rebuilt my bike. john was there, in his wheel chair. later we worked on his, including lots of fiber glass work and painting. later after many months of physical theropy and rehab, he was able to ride again...

recently he started looking to buy a new bike, as the ninja, was turning into a maintence nightmare. what swayed him toward the warrior was this board, and the people and bikes at the dragon...

he always loved the look of the warrior, and seeing their performance in the twisties (mikey, cruise, and frankenstein), and a straight line, he was hooked, he also said the riding positiona was better for his knee, since he wasnt so cramped up....

here are some pics of the new addition, his bike and mine.....

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
What a great story! It would have been a shame if you guys hadn't remained friends. He's got a nice looking Warrior, too.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Great that you both recovered. Sounds like you both are class acts. Take care. [8D]

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I remember when you guys went down - thanks for such a positive update! It helps change that tragedy to something pretty cool - so glad you both made it and are still riding!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Onager, the Speedstar intake, does that re-use the original filter in that unit? I just bought K&N's, but I want that Speedstar intake.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I found reading of your experience very captivating. It`s the first chapter of a fairy tale, and maybe this is the second. I look at the pictures of the two bikes, and it feels as if it is you two standing there. We`re here to learn, and to live......and I guess to ride. Good on ya both. We all rose up a level on this one.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Thanks for sharing !

28 years ago I was on the back of the bike with a guy I worked with ( not a friend ) when he hit a Buick Lesabre head on ! ( I had bought the beer) Anyway, we were just acquaintances and didn't really like each other, but after spending the summer in the hospital in the same room and getting around on crutches together for years we became lifelong friends...we didn't play the blame game ...

Anyway, I can relate to your story ... all the best with the Warriors and the friendship !!

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
That's awesome Matt...When you're about 100, you guys will be sitting in a retirement home together, pinching nurses and telling them about your warriors parked outside.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts