RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would say hello to everyone. I just bought an 02 warrior on Saturday. Its pretty much my first bike. I have a little dirt bike experience and about 50 miles on the street between a little honda 200 and my buddy's v star. This site actually helped me to decide to go ahead and get it. Did some searching on here about the Warrior for a first bike and it seemed like people on here were about 50/50 for it as long as one has good self restraint. Ive just been putting around my developtment a little getting used to taking off on the beast and turning it. So far I love it and cant wait till I get it out on the road. I was happy to find that it is easy to ride it nice and slow if I want, but I opened it to about 1/4 throttle and could tell that it'll be a rocket if you want it to be. Torque is nice! Thanks for helping me to decide. I was between this and a sportster and I couldnt be happier with my decision!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
suedenflames68,

Welcome to the forums and to the wonderful world of the Warrior! We're all just one BIG family here...Sharing what we ALL love...Riding and the love for the Warrior way...

Also congrats on your new Warrior...Well...May be it's not a 2007 or 2008 Warrior, but it's NEW to you...

Oh...And you made the right choice...You wouldn't have been happy with the Sportster...[/emoticons/emotion-6.gif][/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

Mark aka Mad Man

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Congrats James, and welcome to the fun. If you haven't already, look into enrolling in the MSF beginner's rider course. No matter your skill level, you will take something away from the course.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
welcome to the forum and congrats on your new machince[8D] one thing is for sure, you would have kicked your self if you would have bought the sportster, its a girl bike[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sportster?..Not even in the same class! You'll realize how good of choice you made after your riding experience improves. +1 on the MSF beginner's rider course best 80(+/-) bucks you can spend.

Welcome to the 4M!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys.

yeah, I could have seen myself ready for a bigger bike next year if I would have bought a sportster. I try not to be too concerned with the status symbol kinda thing with the "girl bike", but when I was in the Harley dealership and a couple lady riders came in and were looking at the same bike I was I couldnt help but feel like I should be looking at bigger bikes. (Absolutly nothing against women that ride. Im just a big guy at 6' 2" and 200 +lbs and these women were maybe about 5' and 120)

I am deffinately planning on enrolling in a motorcycle course. It looks like there is a pretty decent wait for it though so looks like I wont actually get in till early next season. I should be pretty comfortabe on the bike by then, but even if I walk away learning just one new thing it was worth taking the course.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Welcome aboard. I got to know a guy in the neighborhood who bought a Sportster last year and since we've gone on a few rides he's regretted this purchase ever since. You made a great choice.

·
Registered
147 Posts
James,
I owned a sportbike before this and when I took the CSF course I took it on a cruiser. I went in to a dealership the next week and purchased the best of both worlds. The Warroir!!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Congrats! My Warrior (will be two weeks old tomorrow) was my first bike as well (although I rode a bit when I was a teen).
As for the riding course. I can't recommend it enough. If you want to get in earlier than you might try the H-D Riders Edge course. It's the same as the Abate/MSF course but a tad longer and on larger bikes (500cc Buell Blasts vs misc. 125/250's in Abate course). It costs a lot more (Abate is $75 here, Riders Edge was $295) but as a result, it was a lot easier for me to get in quickly. Back in June when I first looked, the local Abate course was already booked into late September. I got into the Riders Edge course in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the warm welcome everone! This is the first forum Ive joined and its nice to know that there are so many friendly people on here! Im sure Ill have some dumb questions for ya'll before long. /emoticons/emotion-2.gif

thanks for the info about the H-D course pbennett. Ill have to look into that.

WOW Migsy, I think i love your bike. I think I see a lowering kit in my future....although part of what I like about these bikes is the 40 degrees of lean. I think I'll just ride it for now and think about modifying it in the winter.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Welcome to the forum sueden. I'm in 50% that thinks the Warrior is to much bike for most newbies. Taking the MSF course should be your top priority at this point. Sportster VS. Warrior, HaHaHa

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, $$$ wise, if you're looking at new bikes, the Sportster is about the only thing in the same price range as the Warrior. /emoticons/emotion-1.gif No comparison.
The V-Rod is the only Harley I'd want and it would've been $6k more for 'last years' model (07). I made the right decision. I love my Warrior.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yep pbennett, i think the only reason I was really considering a sportster was that I could get a 883 for 7000 new(which really isnt a bad deal compared to the 900cc metric cruisers out there) and have a warranty, but I would have wanted to do tons of stuff to it immediatly to make it fit me. I saved about a grand and have a bike that has everything I wanted. No warranty, but oh well!

and Im deffinatly gonna get into a MSF course.

I took it for a short 10 mile ride tonight and absolutly loved it! It rides nicer than my friends v-star and eventhough it weighs twice as much as my old 200 honda it is easier to ride! With all that torque it was real easy to get smooth easy starts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts