RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently discovered a new sound from my 2002 Warrior. Once I hit 35 mph I notice a whining sound that doesn't change with the RPM, but the speed of the bike. For example, when going 45 mph and I pull the clutch and let it slow down, the whine is starts higher pitched and works its way down in frequency until it disappears at about 25-30 mph.

Has anyone experienced this before?

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
What araea of the bike does it seem to be coming from? Is the belt to tight or maybe extra gritty?

·
Registered
16 Posts
mine does it if the belt is as tight as it says to run it. I loosen the belt and ake sure rear tire is in line, to make the belt run stright on the front pulley.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I've only recently noticed this noise as it is getting warmer outside. I'm not 100% sure where the noise is originating from, but it appears to be comming from the front... I will see if I can narrow down the location.

Quick question though... if it were the axle or bearings going bad on the wheels, what would it sound\feel like?

·
Registered
670 Posts
It's very difficult to diagnose a noise without hearing it yourself. Like others have said, it could be coming from your belt. But you said you think it's coming from the front end. It could be wheel bearings. How many miles are on this bike? If the noise is directly related to wheel speed rather than engine rpm it really narrows it down. Basically you have a belt problem or wheel bearing problems. Generally bad wheel bearings will producea grinding sound. You describe a whine. I have heard bearings whine, but It's not as common. The belt is more likely to produce a whining sound. If I was you, I'd try spraying the belt down with some silicone spray to see ifthe soundgoes away. It won't be a permenant fix, but itmay help you either confirm or eliminate the belt from the list of potential problems.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I agree with AZ it's probably the tire., I haven't had the whinning noise on the Warrior, but the Bridgestone tire that came stock on my c14 made a loud whinning noise as it was reaching the last stage of life. Put a new Metzler on her and the noize went away. I just had a rear wheel bearing go out on the Warrior, I'll assure you when the bearings go you'll know it. The sound won't be a whinning, it'll be more of a grinding that'll make you haul it home on a truck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First, thanksto everyone for the assistance :)

The noise does not get better or worse when dealing with the front brake (that I'm aware... but now I'll have to double check). It's fairly nasty weather outside today so it will probably have to wait until tomorrow or so but I will check the belt tension, lube it up a bit as suggested, and check tire air pressure.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Hi there, check that you haven't got a stonejammed between the front belt pulley and the casing.I had the same problem a while ago and that was the cause. .....Hope this helps.......Frec....U.K..

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I have always noticed a whirring sound after I apply and release front brake???

·
Registered
66 Posts
AMEVL AKA badass01ram said:
I have always noticed a whirring sound after I apply and release front brake???

i have the same issue its kind of annoying, but i just down shift anyways to be noisy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts