RS Warrior Forum banner

481 - 497 of 497 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
This has been a rather interesting thread to read through. You can see by the time stamp I am writing this in the middle of the afternoon but that is only because I haven't been to bed yet. I am amused by the longevity of some of these threads. To watch the jumps in time such as the last big one from 2016 to 2019. I don't feel so bad now digging through old threads as a new member and commenting on them.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I've been on the night shift for about 40 out of the last 48 years. I tried retirement, but it didn't suit me. Boring, fattening, and not particularly well paying.

5:30 PM to 5:48 AM on a 3 on 2 off 2 on 3 off 2 on 2 off schedule. The shift is long, but about the time I think I'm getting tired I realize I have two or three days off.

I'm a Stationary Engineer making sure that all the equipment that keeps a major drug manufacturer's research facility going is up and running when everyone gets there in the morning. I actually like it. I'm undisputed king of the mechanical hill, and there are no suits.

So, hello night owls.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Antici-p-p-pation? Well, the last day before, anyway. I always get myself turned back around to almost days while on vacation, at least a bit, so going back can be rough.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I have 1 more night to work before my 7-day stretch of being off. Man do I need the time off!

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
My wife came across this recently and immediately sent it to me. :D Yup, that's me!!! View attachment 214742
I fill out a lot of equipment logs and reports every night I work. Half are dated the day I got there. Half are dated the day I leave. I never know if it is today's date or yesterday's date.

Lol yep! I’ve forgotten what a normal sleeping pattern is too.
Isn't 8 AM to 4 PM a normal sleeping pattern?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I’m in charge this weekend, had rain and storms come through, some flash flood warnings, and otherwise just another night.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I'm working this weekend too. (Every other.) I get a bit nervous when thunder bumpers roll through. One flicker of the lights, no matter how fleeting, and I become extremely busy restarting everything that needs to be running when the pinkie-out set shows up in the morning. Boilers, chillers, air handlers, purified water systems. In all, four buildings of labs and an office building worth of hardware.

I've been doing this sort of thing for over forty years, so in the end, even that's just another night.

Funny, the stuff you can get used to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Night shift cop here in the Poconos,
PA. Cool thread to stumble upon. Should be off nights October 1st. Just trying to make it though the last 5 mos before I learn what the sun is again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The sun? OMG! NO! It burns, it burns.

I welcome the burn. Don’t mind night shift. It’s just so hard to be a dad and husband when I’m exhausted during the day. I get maybe 4 hours a day with them and I’m tired and cranky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Yep. Sounds pretty much normal for nights. It inhales sharply through pursed lips, but it is what it is.

I found that husband wasn't as difficult as dad. There's generally less schedule flexibility with kids. Of course that could have a lot to do with the wife's schedule. In my case it worked. I'm sure in others' it doesn't. Life tends to do that sort of thing.

I'm planning on retiring (again) in about a year and a half. At that point I'll have to find a way to get used to the great ball of fire in the sky. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Years past the neighbors figured somethings wrong because you’re messing around in the yard and tinkering on the bike when everybody else is at work. Now with internet businesses and modern jobs it’s getting normal to be home during the day.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
More like they wonder what in the world I'm doing tinkering with the bike or mowing the grass at two in the morning.

481 - 497 of 497 Posts