RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the deal with veiwing pictures,every time a picture comes
up,in one of the forums or the gallery,I get a message"no external
linking allowed"Is my computer suddenly somehow configured incorrectly? I don't think so because it was fine last week. - Rob

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hey Robpars,

Are you running Norton Internet Security?...I have to disable it to view the pictures. But like you said, it was working fine last week. The software I loaded most have changed some settings in Norton.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I was working on something to do that, but it had too many bugs. I thought I disabled it????

I must have forgot the gallery pages...
I will fix it asap (Monday)

Sorry,
CarKnee

·
Registered
934 Posts
Thanks CarKnee, I look for updates everyday! I'm interested in mods people do!

Thanks again!! [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by wirenut

Hey Robpars,

Are you running Norton Internet Security?...I have to disable it to view the pictures. But like you said, it was working fine last week. The software I loaded most have changed some settings in Norton.

Wirenut - No I'm not,but I am running Ad and popup filter called
AdSubtract.
I had to reconfigure it so it won't filter this site, now I can view
pictures.
But it's been on all along and everything was fine up until a couple
of days ago.
So something changed at this website. - Rob

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
To clarify what was going on...
This is wordy and kinda technicall.
In other words, it is of no real use to anyone.

On some sites, such as some free web hosting companies, if you try to link to an image from outside of the site you will get those types of messages. This is to prevent a few things, one of which is to reduce the amount of bandwidth the company is using by non-customers.

As an exmaple:
Joe has a 1 MB image located on a free web host xyz.com. He then posts a message on this board saying look at this: [*img]http://xyz.com/mylargeimage.jpg[*/img]. By doing this the xyz.com company is being used to host his image, but the person seeing the image doesnt know the image is from xyz.com. xyz.com is annoyed so they will display the image: "no external linking xyz.com" This will help promote their site by having the person who wanted to see the image go to xyz to see it.

How to do this:
In order to 100% flawlessly do this you would need a system process running in the background to intercept all image requests. I cant do this since the site is running on a web hosts machine. A work around is to have a script dish out all images you want to monitor.

The problem:
I created a script to check the referrer of the image. In other words, if the image was located on abc.com do not show it. Conversly, if the image is located on rswarrior.com show it.

This works fine and dandy for people who are not running various Firewall, Anti-Virus, Anti-Popup, anononyous software, etc... For people who are running these things, you can probably find an option to "Block the Referrer". With this enabled, my script sees your legit image request as an invalid image request; hence the wrong image.

The Solution:
I removed all calls to the script. Images are displayed directly now and there should be no further problem.

CarKnee

Told ya it was useless info

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carknee -
Thanks, very good explenation,I understand completely.
I figured it out last night,and simply told the ad blocking
software to accept referers,on big deal. - Rob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts