RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2006 warrior. New battery, I can hear the starter relay click, I can hear the decompression solenoid engage and I can hear the starter try to go. All dash electronics work but no headlight, however, when I run diagnostics the headlight test will turn it on. I do have a after market starter relay that I was leary of and think that may be culprit....Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
'04' Warrior - Super Fine Metallic Black
9,235 Posts
@[email protected] ... The Aftermarket Starter Relay available for the Warrior has had two common issues.
  1. The Battery & Starter Terminals are reversed. This component fits the Road* and will not work for the Warrior as pictured below!
  2. The properly configured aftermarket part starter contact ampacity will not support the higher currents req'd for the Warrior and will fail quickly.
The Yamaha OEM part should be used for this component :)

The Warrior Starter Relay shown below!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both of them are correct. Now you figured out why the headlight doesn't shine when not running but why did you get a new starter relay? Was there a problem prior?
I had issues with it not starting before and got a new relay and a battery. After that everything worked fine. I think I will try putting the old relay back in this weekend and see what happens. Never payed attention to the headlight not coming on unless it was running. Thank you for that tidbit.

·
Premium Member
5,653 Posts
If this bike is new to you also look at the cables and check their condition. Make sure the ground to the frame is also clean and making good contact. Finally give the wiring a good once over to make sure all looks good, nobody is loose and connectors are tightly connected.

·
Premium Member
'04' Warrior - Super Fine Metallic Black
9,235 Posts
................. Never payed attention to the headlight not coming on unless it was running. Thank you for that tidbit.
Keep in mind that the Headlight will operate w/o the motor running if you use your Engine Cut-Off switch to shut-down the motor after a successful Start.
The Headlight Relay will remain Energized until the Key Switch is turned Off :geek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had the bike about 5 years. I have gone through all the wiring and connectors feel tight. I will clean the ground this Sunday and put the old starter relay in to see what happens. If nothing I will get an open relay and give that a go. I will keep updating. Thanks for the advice everyone.

·
Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
3,506 Posts
The original relay has two circuit breakers. Might have to swap them. It might have been fried so don't be disheartened if it doesn't work. Just make sure that if you do go the route of purchasing a new one, you get one from the dealer. As mentioned, it's the only way to go for this component.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts