RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gas being scarce & pricey in most parts of the country, nowmany stations are only selling "Regular".

I've got 10.5:1 High Comp Piston and need the extra Octane.

So, yesterday I went to Walmart and bought someGUMOUT OCTANE BOOSTER

and filled tank with Regular/87. Spiked it with about a third of the bottle that sold for 2 bucks.

Hope it works ???

·
Registered
208 Posts
we ran into the same problem when i went to tenesee last weekend. some of the boosters say they raise it ten octane points but their points are as 0.1 so a full container is only 1 octane more. it would make 87 now 88 so check the bottle to be shure. good luck i mite buy a gas truck and fill it with premium and drive it down their and sell it for $6 a gallon....hmmmm bout time for someone else to make money of off gas.

·
Administrator
30,408 Posts
At 10:1 or higher you're in the range where you'd expect to need more octane,so my question is"does your bike actually ping on 87 pump gas" or are you just making sure you're covered? Rat's right, use 87 if no pinging. You're right, if it pings, gotta have the extra octane.

WallyGator said:
Gas being scarce & pricey in most parts of the country, nowmany stations are only selling "Regular". I've got 10.5:1 High Comp Piston and need the extra Octane. So, yesterday I went to Walmart and bought someGUMOUT OCTANE BOOSTERand filled tank with Regular/87. Spiked it with about a third of the bottle that sold for 2 bucks. Hope it works ???

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Most of this crap is caused by the EPA demanding special blends in different areas

and IKE,

& our lack of refining capacity is criminally stupid

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Jon_Cocktoastel said:
Most of this crap is caused by the EPA demanding special blends in different areas

and IKE,

+1....Built a freakin refinery already. There's plenty of space in this country of ours, it doesn't have to be in anyones "backyard"

Good luck on that permitting process.

·
Registered
101 Posts
just a note and my .02 I used to run only premium till i read a thread on here about 87 octane.

Well, i switched to 87 and no drop in fuel economy or anything bad. No pinging at all, so try it out and you save a couple of bucks. I have heard however that using that GUMOUT or any octane booster fouls the injectors and other critical sensors.

Just my .02

·
Registered
921 Posts
Ken (A.K.A. Big Shasta) said:
Jon_Cocktoastel said:

and IKE,

+1....Built a freakin refinery already. There's plenty of space in this country of ours, it doesn't have to be in anyones "backyard"

Good luck on that permitting process.

You sound like a bunch of liberalsattempting toregulate and forceprivate industry to do something. Why should the oil industry build more refineries? Doing so would only

...increase their ability to provide a steady supply of fuel to consumers - even during hurricane season,

...reduce supply disruptions and price spikes,

...reduce their profits due toexcess production capacity.

Ha - don't hold your breath! They will only do something when it's in their best interests (read: taxpayer subsidy, tax breaks, special legislation to benefit them, looser environmental regulations, etc.).Companiesare supposed to make as much money as possible.

This is from that left-wing liberal rag "The Christian Science Monitor" (Sep-2005)

...The current refinery squeeze has been building for years. For the past two decades, deregulation and low profits have combined to push the industry into consolidation. Partly because of environmental regulations, it was cheaper to expand existing refineries than to build new ones. In 1981, the US had 324 refineries with a total capacity of 18.6 million barrels per day, the Department of Energy reports. Today, there are just 132 oil refineries with a capacity of 16.8 million b.p.d., according to Oil and Gas Journal, a trade publication...

FYI: For at least the last month theEPA has suspendedallthe fuel requirements in the southeastto ease fuel supply disruptions due to allthe storm damage. I'm sure the refineries are in norush to get thatproduction capacity back online too soon, or build spare capacity into their infrastructure to make sure this doesn't happen again. Tight supply is best for profits.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Colonial pipeline is back up and running. Should have gas on the e. coast again soon. Rest of the country was fine because they're supplied by other pipelines, but those of us served by the Colonial have been hurting. Now it's just a matter of catching up with demand...maybe another week? If people stop rushing the pumps then gas stations can get their tanks full and the panic can subside. Wallygator, I think Florida is on the Colonial too, so you're feeling the hurt like the rest of us in the southeast. Haven't heard about as much trouble from the northeastern states...but the local oil guy here (I happen to know the gentleman who taps into the Colonial for the Chattanooga area) says that they're limiting the Southeast a little more for the time being.

Hope that helps clear up some confusion

1 - 10 of 10 Posts