RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I tried to search for answers before asking here, so forgive me in advance my friends.

I let my Warrior sit for over a year. I know. Unforgivable. I got a new battery and put some fresh gas in the tank and tried to crank her up....and nothing.

I can't hear the fuel pump cycle, so my first instinct was to think the pump is frozen with ethanol gunk.

What are you experienced Warrior first impressions, and what checklist of things should I evaluate?

I don't want to order and install a new fuel pump if there might be other causes.

You guys are the best and I appreciate all your sound advice.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Along with what @PeterSik said, what happens when you turn on the key? Any sounds? Any lights?

Check the usual suspects: Bike's in neutral. Kill switch is off. Is there a click when you try to start (starter solenoid)? Have you tried starting while sitting on your bike with the kickstand up and bike in neutral?

A little more info could be helpful to know what conditions you've tested and what the outcomes were (sounds, lights, actions).

Let us know so we can better help drill into the issue. :)

·
Administrator
30,090 Posts
Unless the bottom tank was partly empty (indicated by the low fuel light illuminating) then the fuel pump was covered in wet fuel. That makes it a little less likely it's gummed. The injectors would all have to be plugged (all 4 holes in both injectors) which seems unlikely unless it sat longer.

Do you have the e-copy of the service manual, the one with both supplements? There is a good troubleshooting section that walks through steps.

If it were me, I would check all fuses carefully, even meter-test if you have one. Then as already suggested observe what illuminates or makes noise at key-on (the headlight is delayed until after start). Post your findings here and also compare to the manuals troubleshooting.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Keep in mind the fuel pump is in the lower tank, putting fresh fuel in top does not affect the old fuel in the bottom until it gets pumped out. Getting the fuel out of the bottom and filling with fuel and sea foam would be a big help, IF all the things mentioned above are good.

·
Administrator
30,090 Posts
True. Good point.

In this case he's not hearing the pump pressurize after having been sitting for a year. Even if clogged it should energize. So it's good to check a short list since it's likely an electrical trouble. Maybe the start/fuel relay was damaged. But very often this ends up bring a fuse, sometimes its hard to see they are bad.

Clarification:
The fuel pump might not make noise every time. Like if the rails are already pressurized.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I knew I would get more intelligent ideas than I could generate on my own!

I'll run through all of the points that you guys have provided this weekend and give you and update.

I have tried to start it with the kickstand down and up seated/unseated, bike in neutral, kill switch off, among other tries.

Thanks as always for all of your well thought out ideas and experience. It's good to be chatting with you guys again after so long. I've missed you rascals. :)

·
Administrator
30,090 Posts
@DaveBones

Buy a new fuel pump if you want but it's 90% not the trouble, it would not make sense based on your original post (op).

I don't see that you have worked your way through the suggestions already made. Its hard to find the path if no steps are taken and if what you observe is not mentioned here. You need to take the simple things out of the mix. We are not there. You are our eyes and ears.

·
Premium Member
4,368 Posts
Like Arizona said try the free stuff first and consider it "maintenance" like cleaning contacts, grounds, checking fuses, relays and even going over the wiring visually. These bikes are pretty resilient but other stuff succumbs to the weather, mother nature or your occasional field mouse.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts