RS Warrior Forum banner
  • It's back! Enter your bike HERE for the Warrior of the Quarter Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Yamaha Warrior
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having a persistent issue with my bike that started as a slow start after short rides. Not the thing simply won't start at all. Starter relay just buzzes. Things I've verified as good.

Battery
Starter relay
Starter
Compression release solenoid

I'm stumped. Can jump the Starter and bike will fire up. Any recommendations on what to check would be awesome!

·
Registered
2007 Yamaha Road Star Warrior XV1700PC
209 Posts
Loose connection, sounds like.

·
Premium Member
'04' Warrior - Super Fine Metallic Black
9,351 Posts
I'm stumped. Can jump the Starter and bike will fire up. Any recommendations on what to check would be awesome!
@kevinpd325 ... If you explain, in detail, your described procedure: "Can jump the Starter and bike will fire up" .. I'll comment with my 2 cents and possible solution :)

·
Registered
2006 Yamaha Warrior
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's where it gets strange. I had the bike running the day this became an issue. Shut it off to replace the baffles in my pipes because I wasn't happy with the performance. Tried to fire it up and nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
When you try to start it and it wont start, what sort of voltage do you see at the battery? And what voltage do you see at the starter?
It sounds suspiciously like a bad connection/bad wire somewhere that causes voltage drop under load.

·
Registered
2006 Yamaha Warrior
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you try to start it and it wont start, what sort of voltage do you see at the battery? And what voltage do you see at the starter?
It sounds suspiciously like a bad connection/bad wire somewhere that causes voltage drop under load.
Voltage drop is in a normal range at the battery. I haven't checked at the starter, but all those connections look absolutely fine and I've verified they're tight. Would a rectifier possibly cause this?

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Sometimes it's the wire itself and not the connections that is the problem. Also solenoids can develop high resistance. The actual voltage drop numbers would be helpful to us trying to help you.

Reactions: arizonawarrior

·
Registered
2006 Yamaha Warrior
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sometimes it's the wire itself and not the connections that is the problem. Also solenoids can develop high resistance. The actual voltage drop numbers would be helpful to us trying to help you.
I'll have to check it again. It's been a while, but I do recall it being in spec. I have actually replaced the solenoids with new OEM. Same problem.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,910 Posts
I have not noticed part numbers or vendor / seller names or if bought at a local Yamaha dealer. This always makes me wonder about correctness of parts. Have a look at the following post in a different related thread:

There is a huge amount of confusion in the minds of most stores and eBay sellers etc etc. The Road Star motorcycle differs in many hidden ways from the Road Star Warrior. One huge difference is they have different but similar looking starter relays.

Also. Actual battery specs versus oem. No mention.

Also. Any error codes or lights in the gauges.

I'm asking because if you only buy another battery without verifying a few items, then your new battery might not last very long.

Specifics with pictures should get this headed on a good path toward a solution. You are at the bike so you are our eyes and ears.

·
Registered
2006 Yamaha Warrior
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have not noticed part numbers or vendor / seller names or if bought at a local Yamaha dealer. This always makes me wonder about correctness of parts. Have a look at the following post in a different related thread:

There is a huge amount of confusion in the minds of most stores and eBay sellers etc etc. The Road Star motorcycle differs in many hidden ways from the Road Star Warrior. One huge difference is they have different but similar looking starter relays.

I'm asking because if you only buy another battery without verifying a few items, then your new battery might not last very long.

Specifics with pictures should get this headed on a good path toward a solution. You are at the bike so you are our eyes and ears.
I did buy all OEM spec parts and were genuine Yamaha parts. Not from ebay. Don't recall the website. May have been partszilla, but were definitely OEM. Battery was not OEM, but I've also tried jumping with different batteries including a 12v group 34 Battery I have as a spare. Nothing has worked to crank the bike with the start button. Relay just buzzes. I did an oil change not terribly long before this started which has me second guessing is the rectifier is not connected fully. I did relocate them (basically inverted) inside the lower "chin" fairing. Might check that today.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,910 Posts
So you are certain the starter relay you bought from Partzilla stated it was for RS Warrior, correct?

It's not enough to say they are definitely oem. They must be definitely oem from a known oem reseller and must state RS Warrior (and must exclude Road Star XV1700A) because most un-savvy resellers assume they are the same.

Without detailed views in un-installed pictures that can be compared to the alanh picture, history forces me to be suspect. Don't get me wrong. You are not doing or saying anything wrong. But if this cannot be taken off the table then it's hard to move forward.

This is maybe the single most common trouble, and often it's impossible to get folks to get real and understand how critical this is. There are many starter relays that appear the same and have almost all the same numbers and symbols on them. But only one fits this bike's wiring circuits.

Sorry. I don't have any other advice. I want your bike to run. But it just looks like a wrong-relay trouble. So before you buy another, please share the url for the exact part you are thinking is correct. Let a few folks here look-see and raise opinions.

Or, if you come to suspect the correctness of the part you bought and installed, then go to a local licensed Yamaha Motorcycle dealership parts desk and ask them to compare it. Or if you become certain the part you have installed is incorrect after all, then pony-up the extra money like many many many of us have. Buy it from the Yamaha Motorcycle dealer parts desk. Ouch $ but often it's the only way.

Or, maybe there is a relay for sale here posted by a long-time member who is known to ride this Beast. Maybe a used good relay can save you some coin and swap-it-in and see. But new means nearly 100% certainty it functions. Used, it's some bit less certain it functions and less certain its truly RSWARRIOR relay.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,910 Posts
Keeping this separate from earlier: The Rectifier would display differently. There would be other symptoms too. But yes if you messed with it prior while doing the work you mentioned, then revisit it.

Rectifier/Regulators are tricky to test and you need to understand what each function does in the system. The free e-copy of the service manual does a reasonable job of how-to diy.

Now you have two things to take off-the-table.

:)

·
Registered
2006 Yamaha Warrior
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I may be on the trail. Popped off the lower fairing and the white rectifier connector wasn't fully seated. When I wiggled it off it was saturated with oil. Of course I'm out of isopropyl... Gonna have to clean it all up tomorrow and try and see if she'll turn over. Thanks and I appreciate your concern and wanting my bike to run. She's my first street bike and I've had her since new in 2006. Really need her to wake the **** up. Lol

·
Registered
2006 Yamaha Warrior
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

In line with your questions here, I looked up the parts via OEM breakdown and ordered OEM parts via Yamaha part number, and they did come in genuine Yamaha labeled boxes. I firmly believe they are true OEM parts. Really hoping I can get it to at least turn over this afternoon. Got some reassembly to do once it will turn over at a minimum since I have it pretty torn apart for troubleshooting. Gotta be something silly like a loose connection since it was running prior to this issue. Hopefully the rectifier/regulator isn't bad.

Unfortunately, someone (woman) "cleaned" my garage and I can't find anything now. Was looking for the parts and boxes they came in last night, buuuuuuut...

·
Registered
2006 Yamaha Warrior
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Additionally, no codes are displayed that I've noticed. I'll add that when the start switch is pressed the relay buzzes pretty hard. It's not like a standard low battery slow chatter.

·
[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
31,910 Posts
Okay excellent 4YR-81940-02-00 is correct and you bought it from a known source so the relay is off the table. Thank you!

I'm not in a place I can review to remember what you already did before, so if you have already posted on the following please forgive me. I'm with Sharon at hospital so I'm typing fast as I can.

So. In addition to what you are doing with the Rectifier-regulstor, please also follow the battery NEG to it's frame connection, which is near the oil filler cap. If you have not recently done so, gently back off and remove the ground nut, clean and inspect the frame landing, nut and threads, wire eyes etc. Take a picture of all the (loose) wires connected there, then reinstall and gently tighten until all wire connectors are flat. Then give the frame ground nut a last little bump to tighten.

If not done already, lift the battery to take a pic of brand number specs etc and post it here. Making sure battery meets minimum spec.

Next, inspect the battery connections POS NEG for any add-on wires that are not stock. If any found, figure out what they do (parasitic drain).

The reinstall battery etc.

Let's see if these help assure battery power levels.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts