RS Warrior Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only stupid people right?! My question is the only way of knowing if i have the spring clutch conversion is by opening it up correct? My lever doesn鈥檛 feel particularly hard to pull. I tried madtom421s lever and his was pretty brutal. He did have upgraded springs 馃馃徑

[Retired Admin-SuperMod]
Next step would be open it up. See if you have an SR2 and springs. But are you simply curious or is there trouble? If it were me I would wait until there was a reason to go in. It's summer. Ride it!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next step would be open it up. See if you have an SR2 and springs. But are you simply curious or is there trouble? If it were me I would wait until there was a reason to go in. It's summer. Ride it!
No problems but this is a highly recommended mod and my girl is about to hit 40k so I鈥檓 looking at stuff to freshen her up a little.

Super Moderator
'05 Midnight
Second that!! Don鈥檛 fix what鈥檚 not broke, ESPECIALLY during riding season鈥 Wait for some bad weather and oil change time to get curious. Best case, you can reuse the gasket鈥 worst case, you鈥檒l be down for a while waiting on parts or trying to get the adjustment right.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What would be stupid is if I bought the SR2 and already had one on a bike I own. I did not build this bike so I have limited knowledge on its modifications. I simply asked if there was a way besides having to open her up a bit to find out. If that鈥檚 stupid to you or anyone else then by all means call me stupid. My apologies to anyone annoyed at my questions. This is a new bike to me like it was for so many of you. I have a lot of catching up.

Registered
Only way to tell is to pull the cover off. You'll have to drain the oil or tip the way over to the side. Not stupid just bit by the mod bug. I would order a gasket to be safe. I've got the red springs I'd like to try the green but never had the desire to rip it back open.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only way to tell is to pull the cover off. You'll have to drain the oil or tip the way over to the side. Not stupid just bit by the mod bug. I would order a gasket to be safe. I've got the red springs I'd like to try the green but never had the desire to rip it back open.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks man. I figured as much just asking because some y鈥檃ll have 20 years experience with these bikes. Probably know a whole lot more than me.

Premium Member
You calling me stupid stranger?
I don't think he was calling you stupid.
I will say it is quite the poking around in there just to check to see if you have it doesn't really outweigh the process. Everyone will tell you removing the gasket will make you wanna kick puppies and slap pregnant women. Wait till your clutch starts slipping.....and when your clutch is slipping go ahead and adjust the clutch cable the correct way and see how many more miles you might get out of that simple adjustment. If not then we move onto the more aggressive fix.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will say it is quite the poking around in there just to check to see if you have it doesn't really outweigh the process. Everyone will tell you removing the gasket will make you wanna kick puppies and slap pregnant women. Wait till your clutch starts slipping.....and when your clutch is slipping go ahead and adjust the clutch cable the correct way and see how many more miles you might get out of that simple adjustment. If not then we move onto the more aggressive fix.
I hear you barking big dawg! Like i said she鈥檚 got 40k and I wanna get her back in fighting shape. She does mildly seem to slip a bit in the higher rpm range tho. I got an oem gasket for 10$ on fleabay. So another buck 40 for the plate is reasonable for the advantage you get.

Premium Member
I hear you barking big dawg! Like i said she鈥檚 got 40k and I wanna get her back in fighting shape. She does mildly seem to slip a bit in the higher rpm range tho. I got an oem gasket for 10$ on fleabay. So another buck 40 for the plate is reasonable for the advantage you get.
I'll bet you have the OEM Diaphragm spring in your ride :)
Mine started slipping, in the higher gears under load, around 33,000 miles.
Here's my early 2007 contribution on this subject: Barnett Clutch Spring Conv's SR-2 Rev A - UPDATED

Registered
2003 Yamaha Road Star Warrior
Turd, there is no such thing as a stupid question however, there are stupid answers.
You won鈥檛 find that here though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts