RS Warrior Forum banner

Not pitiful HD brakes again

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  BC1700 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
Centerline said:
The poor guy just doesn't appreciate his adequate brakes, what a doofus.

Do you appreciate the "adequate brakes" on your Harley? I mean, they are only adequate, nowhere near a Warrior or any other modern cruiser on the market. I suppose you have adjusted to the 1/4 mile stopping distances, from 70 mph now that you have had a chance to ride a Harley for a while. Oh wait, do you still believe that ALL Harley's come with a single front brake rotor? You did make that claim right? You really need to let it go man and grow up a bit.

#4 ·
The brakes on my Harley are nowhere near as capable as the brakes on my Warriors were. Theyare far better than any of the dozen or so rental Harley I rode over the years. Each one of those had but a single disk up front. Since at that time I was not the least bit interested in owning a Hardley, I never had seriously looked at them or read reports about them. Yes I assumed that at least all air-cooled Harleys came with but a single disc up front. In my riding experience with them, why would I assume they put 2 discs on some and one on others? I sure did not pay much attention to them on the street.

I don't think I am ever gonna grow up ..... I never had to when flying jetsaround the globe for 34 years.

I get a laugh inside when I read a magazine report, whether Euro or American about Harleys and a common thread is Harley generally equals pitiful brakes.... until they released the XR1200, the Euro press raved about its "unusually powerful for a Harley brakes".

It is entertaining, when I read the very same sentiment expressed in of all places a Harley owners forum.

#5 ·
"It is entertaining, when I read the very same sentiment expressed in of all places a Harley owners forum."

Go read the definition of "Adequate" and then go back and read the dozen or so(More?) threads you have started in an effort to justify yourself on the topic. Or you can keep posting drivel like this in an effort to make yourself feel better, whatever you want to do I guess.

#6 ·
Whatever, brother dude.... Harleys are known the world over for their overall pitiful braking capability. Just take a read thru past issues of whatever American motorcycle magazine you care to (except the exclusive American V-Twin ones) and most especially Euro mags.
Crikey, it is just my opinion (based on street riding experiences compared to the mighty Warrior.
It should serve the guys here to be reminded occaisionally of just one of the ways the Warrior is superior to the Milwaukee brew.
That said (written that is MaDaV) I enjoy and find greater satisfaction with my HD than either of my 2 previous Stage IV Warriors..... somewhat pitiful brakes and all.

#8 ·
Rhatphlegm said:
I don't see a problem with HD's not stopping very well. After all, they don't accelerate very well either. This way there's balance.
My best riding bud is a 20+ yearHardley mechanic.He rides a Honda 1800 VTX.He's had a lot of Hardleys over the years and his assessment of them is and I quote"Harleys only have 2 problems.They won't go & they won't whoa."That being said I have seriously been tempted on several occasions to get a SE V Rod.I bet it could go & also whoa.

#9 ·
madav8tr said:
"It is entertaining, when I read the very same sentiment expressed in of all places a Harley owners forum."

Go read the definition of "Adequate" and then go back and read the dozen or so(More?) threads you have started in an effort to justify yourself on the topic. Or you can keep posting drivel like this in an effort to make yourself feel better, whatever you want to do I guess.

Why are you so defensive when people express an opinion about HD? You seem to take it personal and I don't think it's meant that way.

#10 ·
JamesD said:
Why are you so defensive when people express an opinion about HD? You seem to take it personal and I don't think it's meant that way.

I took this post personal because centerline referenced a discussion that he and I had some time last year. The operative part there is "he and I". He posts similar topics every 3 months or so in an effort to prove himself right.

BTW, Centerline, did you look up "adequate" yet?

#11 ·
madav8tr said:
JamesD said:

I took this post personal because centerline referenced a discussion that he and I had some time last year.  The operative part there is "he and I".  He posts similar topics every 3 months or so in an effort to prove himself right. 

BTW, Centerline, did you look up "adequate" yet?
Don't need to as I am a walking dictionary. Your chain is so enticing and very easy to pull. Can always be assured it will rattle nicely.

Whatever book definition one chooses for adequate, appropriate, proportionate, good, bad, pitiful, awesome, awful, rest assured that my Harley brakes, while much stronger than the brakes on any HD I have ever rented, don't hold a candle to the superior brakes of a Yamaha Warrior at least the 2 I owned and the half dozen or so other Warriors I have ridden.
The only time I have been worried about the brake performance of my Warriors was when I bought polished rotors and put them on. They felt inadequate, in fact they replicated nicely the feel and braking action I have experienced on most Harleys.

I know, what an idiot to express an opinion...when all know that only experts can have one of those.

#12 ·
Centerline said:
I know, what an idiot to express an opinion...when all know that only experts can have one of those.

You become an idiot when you express an opinion as fact without having actual knowledge of the subject matter at hand. Kinda like when you posted that ALL Harley's come with a single rotor up front even though you didn't know what you were talking about and were proven wrong on the point. Excellent job on the chain pulling though. Mr. Walking Dic................

#13 ·
madav8tr said:
Centerline said:

You become an idiot when you express an opinion as fact without having actual knowledge of the subject matter at hand. Kinda like when you posted that ALL Harley's come with a single rotor up front even though you didn't know what you were talking about and were proven wrong on the point. Excellent job on the chain pulling though. Mr. Walking Dic................

Some of us remember the single/dual rotor thing from last year. A mistake was made about the rotors, but Centerline did say that he's had saddle time on both brands, if so, that's actual knowledge (about brake feel and capibilities) to me.

#14 ·
OM GOsh, please all forgive me. I posted that I thought all Harleys (air cooled ones) had only one disc brake up front, because of the many I had rented while on various trips and vacations all had only had one disc up front. I was proven wrong, what an idiot I was to think such thoughts based on limited experience......and yes, I got a big swingin' one.

Okay, now that I have yet again been proven wrong (hallelujah, such freedom!) I proclaim for the world to hereby know.....that those who think or opine that Harleys have pitiful brakes are just plain wrong. THERE WILL BE NO MORE SUCH THOUGHTS OR IDEAS. over & out. (AV8TR lingo)

*Also note that those of you who think it is MAD-A-VATOR, as I heard expressed at WF3 over the camp fire.... as in who is that guy MAD-A-VATOR.
You numbnuts are all proven wrong as well. The guy is Mad A (long A) VEE ATE OR, mad aviator. And you thought he was only an expert biker and Motor Cop.
There ya go, that's what you get for thinking.

#15 ·
Last time I looked this is a warrior forum. It is fun to bash hd's as they are waaaaaay over priced and for that price are waaaaay under performing. The vrod can roll but is more metric than hd anyways. Bang for the buck it is hard to put up an arguement against the warrior when it comes to looks, performance, and price for a big cc air cooled sex machine like it is. hd defenders go to the million forums out there for you. Here keep the bashing going. It is all true anyways.

#16 ·
Centerline said:
OM GOsh, please all forgive me. I posted that I thought all Harleys (air cooled ones) had only one disc brake up front

You didn't post that you "thought" they all had a single disc, you posted that they all DID have only a single disc up front and I told you otherwise. Nothing more and nothing less. I stated that they were adequate for their intended task and for some reason you took so much offense at that, you feel the need to continue the debate over the course of several months or years and several thread topics. Like I said before, let it go.

BTW, nice to know that at Warrior Fest, a Harley rider is the topic of ANY conversation. I'm flattered.......

#18 ·
JamesD said:
If you don't wantpeople commenting on your little love spats maybe take them to PMs otherwise expect people to be inquisitive.

Never said anything about people commenting on anything. You asked why I took it personal and I told you. He posted something directly about me and I responded to it. If you would like to admonish someone for posting something like this, you need to reference the original poster.

#21 ·
Attention !! All Harleys come equipped with only two disc brakes up front. (this comes from my brain, the origination of the thought process.) I have been informed by other forms of information gathering that SOME Harleys actually come equipped with TWO disc brakes up front!! Upon further study, I have since learned that the 2 disc brake thing is false. You see a mirror effect because ALL Harleys are so heavily chromed that it only APPEARS they have 2 discs up front.....it just ain't so.

Bottom line, HD production air cooled V-Twin brakes SUCK whether they be 1 or 2 discs ........ except for the new XR1200.
My Harley brakes are better than I expected, but they still SUCK. Adequate or not.

#24 ·
Well, I admit... my old 67 sportster did'nt stop worth a hoot but, I will say I was quite suprised to find that the 08 glide I just purchased came stock with BREMBOs and anti-lock to boot..... Even though I do not consider myself a "Harley Guy" I do like this bike alot although I never really cared for the anti-lock deal and compared to the Warrior it's not fast but at approx. 900lbs it gets along ok..... Still the Warrior is the ticket for go and whoa.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.