RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, guys, just got done installing the BigShots and loading the Dynojet map for them into the PC-III. Took it for a little test ride, and wanted to communicate some impressions:

First off, the install instructions from V&H were great. They guided me every step of the way, no issues at all.

Secondly, if you have been holding off buying these pipes because you were concerned that they were obnoxiously loud, GO BUY THEM, RIGHT NOW. Because they are NOT obnoxiously loud. (Trust me, this was my #1 concern about the BigShots, I am not really a loud pipes kinda guy. Maybe I'm deaf, don't think so.) They sound DEEP and rumbly and sound off authoritatively when you goose it. I installed them with the stock baffles, and I went over to four different neighbors houses that live around me, each about 100 feet away, and the sound from my idling Warrior was not offensive in the least. I drove up and down my neighborhood at 30 mph in second gear, and went and spoke with people about what it sounded like. No complaints, just a little jealousy from some HD owners.[/emoticons/emotion-5.gif]

Thirdly, if you were concerned about power loss or lack of performance, I can tell you that I truly did not notice a major drop in torque. OK, my butt dyno is no lab instrument, but I am happy that the performance appears to still be there more or less. Nice to know I'll never see bluing with those full length wrap-around heat shields. In regards to backfiring, I am running the Bigshots map for the PC-III from DJ, and the only time I am hearing backfiring is once and a while on the upshift from first to second gear, don't even seem to hear it too often on decel, more so on the upshift from 1 to 2.

I was seriously considering getting those new $60 baffles from V&H cause I was concerned about potential noise complaints in the neighborhood. Now I am convinced there is no need for it, at least in my situation.

And did I mention these pipes look more awesome in person than they even do on the bikes in the gallery (no offense guys!). They really do!! So if you have been sitting on the fence like I have for months and months about which pipes to buy, you owe it to yourself to consider the Vance and Hines BigShots. A really, really nice combination of style, performance and sound for the Warrior! Don't fear the Bigshots, 'cause if my relatively conservative ears are OK with them, chances are you will be too.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif] These things actually sound quite tame compared to some 3" pipes I have heard, no comparison at all!

Tomorrow I will be doing a bit more riding and see if there are any scraping problems, but I am not anticipating that they will scrape before the pegs do. Be interesting to see how fuel economy is affected too!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks Pursuvant. I have the map from WashingtonWarrior for the Bigshots and Thunder but unfortunately I'm a little low on cash so will have to wait on doing any intake mods for right now.

Be interesting to see how gas mileage suffers with the addition of the Bigshots today, I'm predicting it'll go down, as the Bigshots map I'm running now looks a bit richer than the DJ map I was running for the totally stock bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Congrats on the new pipes! I installed my Bigshots 5 days ago and I'm lovin' them just like you are. I agree that they have a nice, authoritative rumble but are not really loud unless you're cranking the throttle pretty good. I downloaded and installed the DJ map also and did not notice any significant change in performance via my seat of the pants dyno. I do have some occasional backfiring on shifting...not just first to second but all gears if I'm getting on it pretty hard. I haven't had any backfiring on decel. As for mileage, with everything stock I used to get 125-130 miles until the fuel light came on. My first tank after PCIII & Bigshots involved a lot of "acceleration testing" and "high speed testing" and I got around 100 miles before the fuel light. The second tank was more normal (for me) riding and I got 120 miles before fuel light. I wouldn't call that a "big" drop in mileage, as some have reported here after installing the PCIII, and I know I've got to be running a lot richer than the stock ECU settings. So, bottom line is I guess I am satisfied with the performance and mileage of the PCIII/Bigshots combo and I'm loving the sound and look.

Jim

·
Registered
455 Posts
It's nice to hear that you love em. I ordered a set of bigshots last week and feel like a kid waiting for candy store to open. I'm doing the AIS removal at the same time. Open, open, open----

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I gave them a really good run in the GA twisties today, no scraping problems. Did pop and backfire more than I cared for, I'm thinking the DJ m403-010 map runs a bit too rich. I'm thinking about leaning it out about 2 points or so across the board and create a new map and see if that helps. Otherwise, they are very, very sweet....

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
with bigshots, 32mpg in town- 47mpg hwy. i bumped low & mid on the pc111 up one notch each & left high alone.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ok Stiletto, I ordered the Big Shots from Matt at Phat today. If they are as annoying as the HardKrome's I'm coming after ya! /emoticons/emotion-1.gif At least they offer a back door with optional baffles. Ride safe.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Uh oh, I'm feeling the heat, gotta curb my enthusiasm /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

Seriously though, my sons told me tonight that my BigShots "don't sound loud at all" when I pulled the bike into the attached garage at chowtime this evening. I kept warning them that "these pipes are gonna be loud, real LOUD!" before I got them and now I feel silly. Anyway Bob, unless you've got the hearing prowness of a German Shepherd I don't think you're gonna have a problem with the BigShots especially coming from the 3" HardKromes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Got mine installed and have taken em out for a few rides now. I think they sound just right. A cross between tony the tiger and a grouchy bear kind of growl and loud enough to make the crowd jealous but no neighbors are throwing rocks, yet---. When you get it on they sound fantastic.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool Buflow, glad to hear it! I agree, it has a throaty growl without being annoying, but it speaks up when you get on it. How's the backfiring for you?

·
Registered
455 Posts
She barks every now and then but it seems to be greatly reduced with this pipe and AIS block off. I think however that I need to fine tune the map. I think however that it's in the nature of the beast to blow fire every now and then! But really it's much better than when I had the Cobra muffler installed. Now it seems to be only on hard compression decel and when not fully warmed up. The other night I was riding under a steel roofed area and holy cow - These pipes sound great! I think they are just what I was hoping for, you'll be thrilled as well. YaHOO

·
Registered
455 Posts
Stiletto, I butt tested maps all day to day. The final one was very nice. My Bigshots are performing better than expected. At first with the bigshots I thought I had lost power, but now it's back! Better than ever.
It would be hard for me to describe how I evolved this map so if it is alright with you I will just e-mail it to you.
That's the good thing about maps, try em, like em keep em, hate em throw em away. This map I used today stood the test. City, Highway, climb up the twisty mountains, down the curves. It only farted once. Try it if you like.

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
Buflow, have you done any mods other than the Big Shots and AIS? Willing to share that map with one more?
BTW, I now have about 1500 miles on my Big Shots. Either my hearing is improving or they are getting louder. Much more betterer now!![/emoticons/emotion-4.gif]

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sure Oldman, I'm not exactly sure how to send it to you though. When I click on send e-mail there isn't an attachment. Maybe if you send your e-mail addr to me then I will send it by regular e-mail. The only other engine related mod is that I poked holes in the silencer scoop.

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
Thanks Buflow, home email addr is: [email protected].

Holes in the silencer scoop? Hmmm...I have been looking at that and wondering about cutting out a section of the front side to increase air flow. I assume you did something similar?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I used a UNIBIT and punched holes in the leading edge and in most of the squares on top. I think the holes are about 5/8" in dia. It just didn't seem right that the scoop inlet was so small. This will never pass for a BAK but hey- it's free.

·
Premium Member
13,680 Posts
Did you notice any difference with the butt dyno?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts