RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to run this buy you guys and see what you think. I just changed my oil. (600 mile service). And I'll have to put the bike away for the winter in a month and a half or so. There is no way I'm going to put even close to 4000 miles on it in this time. I was thinking that instead of changing the oil again before I put it away, I could just start it up once a week or so and let it idle for a few minutes to keep things flowing and moving.

I know the charging system doesn't charge at idle, so I would have the battery on a trickle charger when I'm not running it, but I'd hate to spend another 50 bucks on another oil changewhen the oil in there will be used, but not necessaraly used up.

Because the bike will sit for up to 6 months I will put fuel stabilizer in it no matter what, but my main concern leaving semi used oil in it. If I start and run it every so often, do you think I'd be at a disadvantage as opposed to storing it with brand new oil?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I wouldn't see a problem with storing it with mostly new oil, just put a battery tender and forget it. As for starting her up once a week or so, I would advise that if you start her up you take her for a short ride to make sure that it warms up completely, if you just let her run on idle for a few minutes and then turn the bike of you will create condensation, and that would be bad...

·
Registered
220 Posts
don't start it unless you are going to drive it, if you don't drive it it will never get up to full operateing temp, that will cause moisture in the engine and moisture = bad news. You will be ok with the oil tho. I just put the bike on my jack (safety lock in place) to unload the suspension, shove a little steel wool in the pipes, fill the tank completely and add stabil, and unhook the battery. I leave the tender hooked to the battery and keep it plugged in all winter. I also keep the cover on the bike as well.

·
Administrator
29,697 Posts
I fire all three bikes every 2nd week at the longest, and run them down the driveway and back when weather allows, just to rotate the gears etc. We have just one bike with a drive chain and it gets chain oilmonthly. All three get a mini-shot of WD40 at the clutch cable ends monthly. We let them float on a good charger. The gas furnace in the garage keeps them a little warmer. I have a large piece of carpet left over from the house. It keeps the tires off the concrete. If I can't keep this schedule then I stabilize the fuel, else I don't.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I have never winterized a bike in my life of course I ride mind at least once every of couple of weeks in the winter. If you are going to winterize I agree that you should not start it if you are not going to ride it. By ride I mean at least 15 to 20 miles, it takes takes about that long to reach the operating temperate. In the winter I ride up to the barber on Saturday about a 15/20 mile round trip.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I pull the battery and put on a battery tender in my basement.

The oil will be fine...wouldn't worry about it.

Stabil in the gas.

I leave mine on a lift all winter.

Unless you have a finished or heated garage, I would not start the bike unless you plan on riding it a while. As cold as it get for us, it will be difficult to fire that thing in a cold storage area. I had a few times last year, it was so cold it wouldn't start but was fine after things thawed.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You might want to change out your transfer case oil as well, since you didn't do that at your 600 mi change.

·
Registered
861 Posts
So if you change your oil now, are you still going to change it in the spring before you ride it? Because if you are going to change it in the spring you could just put new oil in it and leave the old filter in place. Saves you some money and it still has new oil in it. Use a battery tender, keep the tires off of the ground, fill the tank with premium-stabil-and a littleisopropyl, just to be sure that no moisture gets in and you should be fine. Oh yeah, I like to coat anything that could rust with a little WD40-bolt heads, clutch cable ends, etc.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fake said:
You might want to change out your transfer case oil as well, since you didn't do that at your 600 mi change.

I changed my transfer case oil. I removed the entire exhaust to do it. It wasn't as difficult as it looks.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Judge2008 said:
Just move somewhere you can ride all year and all your problems will be solved!

+1

The only states I've ever lived in for more then a few months have been Texas, Florida, and California so I've never winterized anything in my life but I'm curious... I guess it's better to completely fill your gas tank and use stabilthan totry to run it until it's completely dry? Adumb question probably but I've never really thought about it before.

·
Vendor
7,301 Posts
TECK said:
Just curious, why keep the tires off of the ground?
I will winterize my bike also this year.
I think i read something somewhere (might be a myth so dont take my word on it) that the cold cement in constant contact with the rubber will promote dry rot. Ive also read that simply putting a spare peice of carpet under the tires solves this.

It gets cold in NJ but I think the longest Ive gone without going for a ride in the winder is 2-3 weeks. As long as there is no ice (or tonnes of salt) on the road and its above 20-30*F, I'm on the road. Just dress for the occassion and you wont beleive the extra powerthe beast has when the air is cold/dense.

·
Registered
861 Posts
TECK said:
Just curious, why keep the tires off of the ground?
I will winterize my bike also this year.

I have heard that they can get flat spots because the rubber gets kinda frozen and have heard that they can stay that way.

I just put mine on carpet, and move it a couple inches ahead every month or so. Fill it with gas, stabil, and isopropyl. It will prevent rust from forming-which does happen on the warrior.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts