RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil and filter today. I opened both drain plugs and took the filter off...obviously. I installed the new filter, tightned the two drain plugs and proceeded to fill it with oil. Put about 2 1/2 quarts in it, started it to let the oil circulate through the bike. I shut it down and continued to fill it. Now my prob. Overall it only took about 3.25 quarts and I am full. I though it was supposed to take close to 5 quarts. Did I overlook something? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Matt[^]

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Sounds like perhaps you didn't open the correct two drain plugs. Did a LOT of oil come out of each plug after you removed it? They should have both been identical 17mm plugs, with crush washers. If you followed the instructions in the manual, that's the problem, cause they're wrong. Do a search on this site on "oil change", you should find a real nice pictorial on exactly where to find the correct two plugs.

Just did mine last weekend, I put in 3 qts, started it, and put in two more to bring it just to the bottom of the stick cold.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sounds like you missed a drain plug, are took out the wrong one. If you got close to 5 quarts out thats what has to go back in. Check your owners manual that came with the bike.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Matt, I would guess that you only drained the Oil Tank, but not the Crank Case. The first time I changed my oil I had exactly the opposite problem. The oil tank was still full so I couldn't add any new oil. The Crank Case drain plug is located on the left side of the engine near the front. You will need to use a 17mm box end wrench to remove this drain plug. Preferably one with a thin wall section.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you followed the instructions in the manual, you drained the
crankcase, but not the oil tank.
The oil tank drain plug location in the manual is not correct, it shows
a 10mm plug under the lower right side of the engine, the correct drain
plug is a 17mm bolt located between the rear shock and the frame at a
45 degree angle. - Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts