RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like an idiot with this one, but I can't figure out what two bolts I need to pull in order to drain the oill. What's sad is that I'm a chiler mechanic, but I can't change the danm oil in my bike.

Anyway, I looked at the forum and read the manual.....It's just that they all look the same. Maybe it's the beers but I need some guidence....thanks!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I happen to all of us in a new engine,

here a few pics. excuse the dirty engine.... im riding quite a lot lately.

1 pic of the bolt in front taken from the front of the bike (circled in blue)

and 2 of the bolt in the back (circled in red), taken from the right side (exhaust side) of the bike and from under the bike.

dont forget to check the video in how to check the oil level in the bike in yamaha-motors.com ... is not as easy as look into the oil lever...more tricky. or just better fill the right amount and call it a day.

·
Administrator
30,097 Posts
Ah, we have all been there with this hot rod bike, no worries.

This is an excellent post. Hope you don't mind if I add this to Popular Mods. If you can keep hosting these pics then your contribution will be there into the future for other members. Its a PITA but many of us keep hosting the pics anyway. One way to do it is to host them in your Gallery and then edit this post to reinsert the pics from your gallery (if that makes sense).

BTW the OWNERS manual shows where these bolts are sortagood, but this is much better. Nice work.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
i would like to see some of the general info like this bunched up.

I am doing an oil change tomorrow. I always have to look up how much oil to put in. I am thinking 4.2 quarts with the filter change.

Am I right?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Bit of advice, probably already common knowledge but as is, I am a little SLOW on the uptake.

Lift the bike to reach the nuts (lol), drain it all, LOWER THE BIKE.

I did the filter change and everything on the jack, then started to put in Oil. Got just a shade under the 4th quart in, and I was overflowing. Made a little mess, nothing a couple towels couldnt clean up.

Once I got it on level ground I had to fire the engine for about a second (put the dipstick in first) and it all leveled out and went in fine. Finished 4th quart and added a little more.

My k&n filters are drying right now so I will have to wait till tomorrow to make sure I am not low.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just searched on here and somebody had a really good post about changing the oil. I used a 17mm 12 point and ratchet for the rear one by the shock and a 17 mm box end for the front bolt by the oil filter. I used exactly 5 quarts and it filled it perfectly. Kind of nice that the motor and tranny use the same oil.

·
Administrator
30,097 Posts
Good idea. I started a 'general maintenance' post so everyone can chime-in on what the contents of the file should include.

Maybe chime in at this topic: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/128808.aspx and we can develop a singlePDF housing the technical tips for each basic maintenance task like oil, filters (and oiling k&n's), plugs, headlight bulb, adjust clutch cable, etc.

First, we need a list of topics to include. Anyone want to join-in on this group project?

BJINFIDEL said:
i would like to see some of the general info like this bunched up.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
What did they say? A pic's worth 1000 words?

I happen to all of us in a new engine,

here a few pics. excuse the dirty engine.... im riding quite a lot lately.

1 pic of the bolt in front taken from the front of the bike (circled in blue)

and 2 of the bolt in the back (circled in red), taken from the right side (exhaust side) of the bike and from under the bike.

dont forget to check the video in how to check the oil level in the bike in yamaha-motors.com ... is not as easy as look into the oil lever...more tricky. or just better fill the right amount and call it a day.

You are awesome, you deserve some kind of an award or something!:cool:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but you show 3 drain bolts ..2 for the engine oil ,and 1 for the transfer case oil.
If you undo all 3 ,and only fill the engine oil,you will destroy your transfercase.
No one mentions this....the one closest to the pipe is the transfer case oil.
Correct??
CS

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but you show 3 drain bolts ..2 for the engine oil ,and 1 for the transfer case oil.
If you undo all 3 ,and only fill the engine oil,you will destroy your transfercase.
No one mentions this....the one closest to the pipe is the transfer case oil.
Correct??
CS
If you read closer he says the 2nd bolt is circled in red. I think he's just showing a side view in the pic you're talking about. But YES, what you say is true!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts