RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to change my oil today. I read in the manual that 4.33 qts will fill it but I,ve allready put in 5 and the dipstick is dry. Im using yamaha oil and I replaced the filter. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don,t want to over fill it. My warrior is an 06. I,ve heard of other yamaha owners having problems when it came to oil because yamaha used the dipstick from the previuos year and it was too short so If you fill according to the dipstick it was overfilled.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
run the bike until its at normal opperating temp then check it dont add anymore,and make sure you check it with the bike in the upright position not on the sidestand.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There will actually be almost a quart difference from a cold motor to a hot one. It won't show on the dipstick when cold, after the motor warms up it will actually show on the stick.

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I got mine it would show full on a cold motor, the dealership may have added to much. When I did my 600 mile service I added 5qts, it was just bearly touching the dip stick. I have not had the time to ride and check the level with a warm motor, been real busy with work. Also the manuel says NOT to screw in the dip stick when checking, just a FYI.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have done my first service today and came looking for some web help on the same dilema. Glad I found this place. At the moment the bike is in the garage with almost 6 quarts of oil in the hold. It just barely touches the dipstick. I ran it for approx. one minute with no change in level. After reading some posts here I think I'll be draining a quart out in the morning and letting it heat up. I was baffled. Any idea why this happens? And where the **** does it go?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
quote:Originally posted by seasidedweller

....Any idea why this happens? And where the **** does it go?

It gets hot and expands.

·
Registered
242 Posts
stop guys, your bike holdes 5QT only, with oil filter, and no more, first make sure you have drained both plugs, thats two oil plugs, and change oil filter, now that the oil plugs are in and new filter, put two and a half QTS in start engine only five to ten sec, NOT MIN,shut of now add two and a half more, now you have five QT oil in your good to go,

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
quote:Originally posted by maskale

Why only add 2.5 then start, I put a 4 in and then started it up, then added 5th.

(There's always gotta be one rebel in the group) There's probably a lotta ways you can do it.......congratulations on doing it your way.

the manual says to add 2.5 liters then start it, maybe you should try that next time.[/emoticons/emotion-2.gif]

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
quote:Originally posted by FIREBIRD

stop guys, your bike holdes 5QT only, with oil filter, and no more, first make sure you have drained both plugs, thats two oil plugs, and change oil filter, now that the oil plugs are in and new filter, put two and a half QTS in start engine only five to ten sec, NOT MIN,shut of now add two and a half more, now you have five QT oil in your good to go,

Just remember to replace the oil tank cap before you start the engine. [/emoticons/emotion-1.gif]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did the change according to the manual by adding 2 something then starting and reving a couple of times. Then it says to add the rest while checking it. I kept going till 5qts went into it with no indication on the dipstick. I figured I should'nt go more than five.
I let it warm up and I saw a little on the end. I took it for a spin(froze my a$% off) and when I got home I checked it again and it's halfway up the stick. Even after cooling it's at the same spot.5 it is.Rif.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ditto Rif. I bled the one quart back into the container (guess it will find a home elsewhere) Ran it in the driveway. It smoked a little at first. I assumed it was the oil OD. Smoking stopped quickly. I checked the oil, still low. Poured myself into the gear (it was only 40 on Long Island today) and went for a ride. Stopped for fuel and checked it. It was at the perfect level. I agree the answer is 5. Thanks for the input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts