RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
28,594 Posts
I see this is your first post, Welcome!

Let me verify the pitch of these two17mm hex head bolts.

hang on.

Oil - Changing - Which Two Bolts: http://rswarrior.com/forums/t/128465.aspx

The thread is 14mm - I don't have the pitch (but typical metric m/c 14mm oil plug would have 1.5 pitch).

Sprutz said:
Does anyone know the size and pitch threads of the two oil drain bolts on our bikes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know I’m responding to an 11yr old post. But has anyone found or come up with a smaller head bolt for the front drain plug?

·
Administrator
28,594 Posts
Why?

The thread design seals by the way the male and female threads mate. Plus the head size spreads the pressure around an area rather concentrating it.

I use an inexpensive stubby 17mm (image attached) having a slightly thinner closed end. I drain both while the bike is on the kickstand and the wrench takes very little space in the kit. I use new oil plug crush washers every time, it avoids having to over-torque the steel plug's threads in the aluminum holes. I tighten by hand then use the wrench until the new washer/gasket is crushed. Sometimes I need to gently tap the wrench to loosen.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If by some freak of nature that you lose one of your drain plugs a cork from a wine bottle will get you out of trouble. Another useless piece of information lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts