RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I have figured out that from 02'-05' models have a different Union Bolt then the 06'-09' for the oil filter to attach to the oil filter adapter. (All years have the same part number Now 90401-20007-00 which is the same design as the first Hex design)
The 02'-05' have a mid Hex to use a wrench to install while the 06'-09' does not have it but a Fully Threaded Nipple without the mid hex to tighten at instal.

NOTE- I ordered the 90401-20007-00 Union Bolt Nipple thinking it was the fully threaded from the later 06's up Or a redesign with a thinner Hex area by the 2mm needed to allow all filters to seal properly. I now know it's not and is about identical to the 02'-05' Union Bolt Nipple. So I'm a bit disappointed in it.

Oil filter adapter Union Bolt Nipples-
02' - 05' = 90401-20145-00
06' - 09' = 90401-20002-00
02' - 09' = 90401-20007-00 (Superseded)

This first design has worked well without issue till more recently when oil filter companies redesigned their base of filters to be protruded instead of concaved. This has created an issue both on motorcycles and passenger vehicles of the filter base contacting the Hex on the nipple and leaving a gap between the oil filter rubber seal and the face of the adapter.
The fully threaded nipple from the 06'-09' doesn't have this issue because the filter will not contact and stop prematurely and can use any filter either with a concaved or protruded base.

There are a couple ways for the owners of 02'-05' to permanently fix future issues.
1, Find and replace the Union with one from a used 06'-09' or 90401-20002-00
(Part catalog numbers between all years are the same and are the same design as first Hex fitted Union bolt so don't use those)

2, Have your current Union modified by thinning the Hex on the longer side by half or atleast 1.5mm- 2mm on a lathe, Drill press and grinder or removing it completely.
(See the next post)

3, Find a Nipple in the dementions of the Union from 06'-09'.(M20-1.5 x 36mm (not a priority 2.68mm wall)
If one is found please post the info so I can update this information.

To remove the Union Bolt Nipple with the Hex use a 1 1/16" wrench or socket or 27mm

The torque specs for the Hex Union Bolt is 50ft lbs per factory servuce manual but when I removed mine it was tight but I would believe it was only about 15ft lbs.

When installing the Fully threaded Union Bolt Nipple without the Hex use Loctite as mine had the yellow factory thread lock on it when I removed it from the filter adapter.
The factory service manual does not state to but from my experiance between the 2 different types of Union Bolts the One With the Hex does not require thread locker as the fully threaded one would as it can't be tighten as hard.

If removing a fully threaded Union Bolt Nipple from a filter adapter you Will need to heat it up to soften the factory thread locker to remove. Do not damage the threads while trying to remove. Believe me when I say it's hard to get off without heat and while using channel locks with a rag as a thread protector Lol. I didn't have any other tools available at the time.

I will provide more information about the Hex fitting Union Bolt Nipple and Fully threaded Union bolt nipple when I do the swap.

Continue to the next Post as this post ran out of space.

I will also provide this info into my other thread regarding the Bosch filters and a fix to protruded filters to use them without issue. - Oil Filter Tech: Bosch 3323/ST

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Reserved to add more info and pictures

02' - 05' And Superseded 02' - 09' Union Bolt Nipple. (Hex Centered)

06'-09' Adapter plate and Union Bolt Nipple (Fully threaded)

In this post you can see that the Union Bolt Nipple on earlier Warriors (Other Yamaha's aswell) can cause issues of nite allowing oil filters to seat and seal completely.
I only used the Bosch as its the only filter I have with a protruded base but there are many more filters out there that had a design change.
You can also see that the 06's up do not have this issue.

Updated below (March 28 2020)

Well, I decided to try something out with one of the Hexed Union Bolt Nipples as I have 2 lol.

I gotta say it was a success.
I thinned the Hex fitting almost 2mm and that gave more then enough space needed before the filter base contacted the Hex area on the Union Bolt Nipple.
I did use my Drill press with the belt on 1 pulley reversed to have the chuck spin in the direction needed to work with my grinder and cutoff wheel.

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Rudy this is an excellent thread with great documentation and photos. I'm sure many members onboard here will appreciate your efforts.
As stated by Mike you truly have a passion for the Warrior.

I've never encountered an issue with the Warrior oil filter in over 50K miles because I use the OEM Yamaha part religiously. I am cognizant that there have been issues with aftermarket filters over the years with leakage.

I suspect that Yamaha Motors was aware of the issue some years ago and the reason for the superseded P/N 90401-20007-00 that fits ALL years of the Warrior and also used across their power sport platform for many models I suspect.

The 2002 YFSM calls out 50 lb~ft of torque for the '02-05' P/N 90401-20145-00 Hex Nipple and nothing in the 2006 YFSM Supplement for the '06-09' P/N 90401-20002-00 Plain Nipple.

I suspect that the new P/N 90401-20007-00 for All years has a thinner Hex Rim Width to accommodate the filter changes but I've been wrong before and perhaps you've secured the new P/N to verify your findings :)

If not here's a Snap Shot from Boats.net of the new superseded P/N 90401-20007-00. Perhaps you can scale the earlier P/N 90401-20145-00 Hex Rim

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is 100% imo among the handful of most-important and most-helpful threads ever posted on this forum. Thank you for everything you do, Rudy. You are amazing and your love for this bike is easy to see.
Thank you. I have received help in many ways from here. It's only right to return the help. And I enjoy finding new information for everyone lol.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Rudy this is an excellent thread with great documentation and photos. I'm sure many members onboard here will appreciate your efforts.
As stated by Mike you truly have a passion for the Warrior.

I've never encountered an issue with the Warrior oil filter in over 50K miles because I use the OEM Yamaha part religiously. I am cognizant that there have been issues with aftermarket filters over the years with leakage.

I suspect that Yamaha Motors was aware of the issue some years ago and the reason for the superseded P/N 90401-20007-00 that fits ALL years of the Warrior and also used across their power sport platform for many models I suspect.

The 2002 YFSM calls out 50 lb~ft of torque for the '02-05' P/N 90401-20145-00 Hex Nipple and nothing in the 2006 YFSM Supplement for the '06-09' P/N 90401-20002-00 Plain Nipple.

I suspect that the new P/N 90401-20007-00 for All years has a thinner Hex Rim Width to accommodate the filter changes but I've been wrong before and perhaps you've secured the new P/N to verify your findings :)

If not here's a Snap Shot from Boats.net of the new superseded P/N 90401-20007-00. Perhaps you can scale the earlier P/N 90401-20145-00 Hex Rim

Thank you.
I don't blame you for using the Yamaha filter as I would aswell if I could pick it up in person thus the reason I use the Bosch filters which I pick up in auto part stores.

I have seen other comments on a few different filter brands that have had the same issue Bosch now does and thats where I got the picture from with the 2 Hex rims. The guy was selling modified Unions for $30 a piece.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have a bit out good news. I'll soon have a new Union Bolt Nipple from Patrzilla.
I would have ordered from eBay but I think my chances of getting the most currently produced union is from partzilla before the ones in eBay.
I had to sell a small part to get this part but I'm sure it'll be worth it in both helpful info and use.
Once I get the new Union Bolt I will take measurements of my stock 02' and the new.
I will keep everyone posted and also edit into the 1st post.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your investigative skill has grown by leaps and bounds. Awesome discovery.
Thanks Rick.
I Just happened to have my oil filters in front of me and an oil filter adapter. I noticed the Union nipple was different then I remember. So it got me wondering and thinking lol.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
. . . anxious for its arrival to see wassup! Bump to top.
I sure am aswell.
This could be the fix for all earlier warriors to run all filters.
My part should be here any time today says the delivery tracking. Then I'm going to remove my union off my bike amd compare all 3.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok everyone.
I've gotten the New 90401-20007-00 Union Bolt Nipple and compared with my current one. It's disappointing and saddened to say it's virtually identical to the older design.
But atleast there's more known.
I have a plan to try something and will post up about it when I get a chance.
Have a look as the whole thread post is updated and basically new with more info and pics.
Btw, if a nipple with the specs can be found that would be great aswell.

·
Administrator
28,547 Posts
Great work as always Rudy. I'm going to check if the local Yamaha dealer service folks might have the non-hex union in stock since its used for most all of their snow and water craft. Maybe they have one laying around and can get my hands on it. I will let you know. I am uncertain if they are even open, our state's stern antivirus lockdown starts this morning. It looks like maybe we have a break in the snow, maybe I can wake-up-the-Beast and bundle-up and ride there, annoying a few winter neighbors in the process!

·
Administrator
28,547 Posts
Nate at Michael's Reno Motorsports at 775-825-8680 is aware of the issue, has checked his bins and stock, has none without hex in store. He will phone Yamaha USA next Wednesday and will inquire. However its not known if they will be shut down for the duration or if the right people will take time to check bins.

I let him know that many around this forum may be interested. Its $13-ish plus delivery.

I would be willing one-time to buy for established members here all at same time and mail them at cost to everyone. Its not a group buy since there is no discount, its just a transparent favor as in the past.

Or once Nate responds I will post here and you can call him direct to order.

It does not appear possible to get these from resellers, it seems they have hex type. This is so innocuous it defies part number soultion.

I do not know how this will work out, but rolling the dice and we will see.

More later.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nate at Michael's Reno Motorsports at 775-825-8680 is aware of the issue, has checked his bins and stock, has none without hex in store. He will phone Yamaha USA next Wednesday and will inquire. However its not known if they will be shut down for the duration or if the right people will take time to check bins.

I let him know that many around this forum may be interested. Its $13-ish plus delivery.

I would be willing one-time to buy for established members here all at same time and mail them at cost to everyone. Its not a group buy since there is no discount, its just a transparent favor as in the past.

Or once Nate responds I will post here and you can call him direct to order.

It does not appear possible to get these from resellers, it seems they have hex type. This is so innocuous it defies part number soultion.

I do not know how this will work out, but rolling the dice and we will see.

More later.
Hey Mike, I just seen yours comments.
I usually check to see if there's any new posts but some how I didn't see these.

Well that would be great if they could get some of those non hex unions. It would be a small useful upgrade while performing an oil change to install and not run into oil filter problems.
I did use the hex one I shaved down but I still have the new hex and non hexed here.
I'm not sure how long this lock down will be but i would think that dealer would be closed in the mean time as all unnecessary businesses are closed here. But we'll see.

Thanks for checking in on that local place.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)

·
Administrator
28,547 Posts
Nate at Michael's Reno called Yamaha USA and was told their stock is now all hex and all part numbers default to the 90401-20007-00 originally posted here by Rudy. This includes the jet skis and boats and snowmobiles that had the hexless union before. I wonder if that means the hexless union was problematic.

I ordered one union, along with new o-rings in case I decide to remove the part for a look-see.

I have a question, if I machine the union's hex on the oil filter side, do I also need to cut a little more thread to accommodate the 3323?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nate at Michael's Reno called Yamaha USA and was told their stock is now all hex and all part numbers default to the 90401-20007-00 originally posted here by Rudy. This includes the jet skis and boats and snowmobiles that had the hexless union before. I wonder if that means the hexless union was problematic.

I ordered one union, along with new o-rings in case I decide to remove the part for a look-see.

I have a question, if I machine the union's hex on the oil filter side, do I also need to cut a little more thread to accommodate the 3323?

Thanks.
Thanks for checking Mike.
I would think Yamaha went back to the hex design for ease of removal and installment buy shops or the home mechanic. The straight nipple box hex was hard to remove and there's really no tools to remove and it had thread lock as well.
I've never seen recalls regarding the non hex design neither. But who really knows with Yamaha lol.

I ground down the side of the hex that screws into the filter adapter on the motor. The longer threaded side. If you grind down the filter side the filter may loose thread to screw on.
I added more info and pictures in the 2nd post showing. Here's a pic to show the side I worked on my drill press and grinder.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I noticed you worked the adapter side. I have read elsewhere that in some cases running the union further into the adapter can reduce oil flow by reducing the passageway. Did you look at this aspect while you had the adapter removed? Thanks.
Yes. I measured the dept of the threaded area inside the filter adapter. There's about another 3/8" or more before the union would protrude or even reach the end of the threads inside the adapter. I might have pictures to show. I might even have pictures of measuring the depth of the inside of the oil filter adapter. I'll have a look.
But I don't see there being any reduction of flow in this case.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts