RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
28,169 Posts
Separate from my reply, I have found some cars use a hexless union that has an internal allen, some its inside at the filter end and one appears to be inside centered. I'm hoping to have time today to identify threads.

Looking at unions in the hardware store, they seem to have a different thread profile cut, but I do not know enough yet to determine. I need to find out if oil filter thread profile differs.

After things open-up again, I'm going to visit my local auto parts store and see about comparing unions toward finding a hexless union having the internal allen profile. I'll find out the nomenclature of the part to make it easier to search options.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I might even have pictures of measuring the depth of the inside of the oil filter adapter. I'll have a look.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)

I just checked my saved pictures on my phone. I may have the ones I'm thinking of on my computer but it's Packed away lol.
I'll get the adapter plate from my storage tomorrow and get some pictures and measurements.
I gotta take some things there anyways.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)

·
Administrator
28,169 Posts
Yes. I measured the dept of the threaded area inside the filter adapter. There's about another 3/8" or more before the union would protrude or even reach the end of the threads inside the adapter. I might have pictures to show. I might even have pictures of measuring the depth of the inside of the oil filter adapter. I'll have a look.
But I don't see there being any reduction of flow in this case.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)
Awesome!

·
Administrator
28,169 Posts
I just checked my saved pictures on my phone. I may have the ones I'm thinking of on my computer but it's Packed away lol.
I'll get the adapter plate from my storage tomorrow and get some pictures and measurements.
I gotta take some things there anyways.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)
Rudy, no need for pics, its golden brother. If working the adapter side of the union hex means I do not need to cut more thread then that is the way to go. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Separate from my reply, I have found some cars use a hexless union that has an internal allen, some its inside at the filter end and one appears to be inside centered. I'm hoping to have time today to identify threads.

Looking at unions in the hardware store, they seem to have a different thread profile cut, but I do not know enough yet to determine. I need to find out if oil filter thread profile differs.

After things open-up again, I'm going to visit my local auto parts store and see about comparing unions toward finding a hexless union having the internal allen profile. I'll find out the nomenclature of the part to make it easier to search options.
I have seen that internal drive before now that you mention it. Maybe on metric cars (Honda?)
That would be a good idea. Maybe reverse cross reference of the Bosch filters will show the metric cars and then the unions can be looked at.

I did go to a few stores here and took the union to match with the threads of what was in stock and had no luck. But that was in this small town lol.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)

·
Administrator
28,169 Posts
The Yamaha and Bosch 3323 and related have M20x1.5 female thread.

I will verify the adapter's female thread. Maybe both sides of the union will correctly thread into the filter, indicating same both sides.

Some time ago I printed a cross-reference to get other vehicles using the 3323. I can use it as a map to see if any have the same adapter-side thread. If any of those have internal hex profile its a potential solution.

Meantime I bought two stock oil filters so I can go ride. Weather is good enough!

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The Yamaha and Bosch 3323 and related have M20x1.5 female thread.

I will verify the adapter's female thread. Maybe both sides of the union will correctly thread into the filter, indicating same both sides.

Some time ago I printed a cross-reference to get other vehicles using the 3323. I can use it as a map to see if any have the same adapter-side thread. If any of those have internal hex profile its a potential solution.

Meantime I bought two stock oil filters so I can go ride. Weather is good enough!
Both ends of the union are M20-1.5mm aswell as the adapter plate female.
Hopfully we get a lead on which cars use the same M20-1.5mm union. That would open the doors for us.

I gotta change my oil soon aswell.
Have a good ride when the time comes to put one of those filters on.

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey Mike. Just to add more info I measured and took pics of the oil filter adapter thread depth.
There's Plenty of clearance from the end of the modified union to the oil gallery passage opening. The thread depth is as deep as the hex union is from the end of the side that threads into the adapter to the further end of the hex base. So modifying the hex union won't affect the oil passage opening if the whole hex was ground down and if it could be threaded all the way to the end of the adapter threads.
From the last thread in the adapter to the oil passage opening there's about 5mm distance. But without union hex being ground down there's close to 10mm from the union end to the oil passage opening and about 4mm to the end of the threads. With the union ground down there's about 8mm from union end to oil passage opening and 2mm from the end of the union to the end of the adapter threads.

·
Administrator
28,169 Posts
Awesome Rudy thank you! The part should be at the Yami dealer early next week and I'll get my sea legs with the assembly and knock about 1.5mm off the adapter-side of the union hex.

I've been hunting a union with internal-hex but have yet to find one in M20-1.5 / M20-1.5 close, and oddly not even finding a simple M20-1.5 nipple in a valid length (which would require jam-nut-install and thread locker cure time so not ideal imo). I have found nipples in different threads with internal hex but not M20-1.5.

Closest split union with internal hex I found is M18-1.5 M18-1.5 (image below in case helpful to fueling searches by others hunting it).

I also found a UK seller for a Mocal USA one with a thin external hex but I can't seem to verify lengths although it visually appears workable. Its possibly not the ideal materials or thickness but would probably work fine.

I have a list of vehicles for Bosch 3323 and have been googling trying to prove, but so far all have a different thread at the motor side. Of course the motor side thread size is not always found, so have to skip some.

Here's more Mocal data in case someone has better luck finding available stock someplace.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
28,169 Posts
Here's your solution: Do a GROUP BUY and pick-up a piece of threaded rod M20 x 1.5p from McMaster-Carr 1 M long @ $122.91 which should yield 25-26 pcs (+/-) and poke them out on a lathe = $4.92 each plus the hole drilling ;)
Cool. That seems what it seems and if you can do it for the $4.92 plus the hole plus mailing it would run what maybe ~$7usd each for the split union with internal hex in M20-1.5 / M20-1.5 then pleeeze start your Group Buy thread to see how many will commit. Hopefully the resulting ID/OD meat allows for good internal hex shape and torque load. Did you look at the International Tolerance (IT) for the material at that machined shape? Plus of course if no thread locker is needed (?) then it might work considering it has to go 'in' at torque and also come 'out' from torque, which is a bit different if thread locker needs to be applied. Dunno. Seems better to find a cost-effective manufactured part to solve to extent possible. But if you find a manufactured split union with internal hex in male M20-1.5 / male M20-1.5 then I suspect you will have a successful group buy!

·
Administrator
28,169 Posts
Solution:

MOCAL TNM20 Adapter with ~2mm hex thickness and adequate length. Thread confirmed M20x1.5 male, both sides. It plays well with a couple dabs of blue Loctite 243.

I have ordered two from BAT in Florida because shipping is flat rate box $9 or so. Figured the second one is free shipping lol, who knows I might just use it, or sell it to a local guy for splitz!

I WILL INSTALL THIS WHEN RECEIVED AND WILL POST A REPORT WITH PICS AND DIMENSIONS.

I feel pretty much certain its perfect. If you order for yourself then ask Eric every question to confirm fit. Until I have it in my hands and test fit, I'm only 99% certain, just sayin'.

Eric is with BAT, here is his reply email to me. They are the USA distributor for Mocal (google them if unfamiliar they are a pretty cool company in the UK).

‐--------

"Mike,

We do have TNM20 (M20 male x M20 male) is stock at $14.70 each. Easiest way to order is by phone at my contact below.

Regards,

Eric Weller
BAT Inc. / MOCAL USA
(941) 355-0005
[email protected]. -"

·
Premium Member
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Solution:

MOCAL TNM20 Adapter with ~2mm hex thickness and adequate length. Thread confirmed M20x1.5 male, both sides. It plays well with a couple dabs of blue Loctite 243.

I have ordered two from BAT in Florida because shipping is flat rate box $9 or so. Figured the second one is free shipping lol, who knows I might just use it, or sell it to a local guy for splitz!

I WILL INSTALL THIS WHEN RECEIVED AND WILL POST A REPORT WITH PICS AND DIMENSIONS.

I feel pretty much certain its perfect. If you order for yourself then ask Eric every question to confirm fit. Until I have it in my hands and test fit, I'm only 99% certain, just sayin'.

Eric is with BAT, here is his reply email to me. They are the USA distributor for Mocal (google them if unfamiliar they are a pretty cool company in the UK).

‐--------

"Mike,

We do have TNM20 (M20 male x M20 male) is stock at $14.70 each. Easiest way to order is by phone at my contact below.

Regards,

Eric Weller
BAT Inc. / MOCAL USA
(941) 355-0005
[email protected]. -"

View attachment 248403
Oh wow, that's perfect and looks like it'll be just fine. Good find Mike.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts