RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still getting familiar with my '02 Warrior which I purchased two months ago, as well as V-twins in general. Loving everything about this bike.

Here's my concern...I've observed, after some rides of a few hours, the following morning (or as much as 48 hours later) I will discover a dime to quarter size oil stain on the garage floor. The drip comes from what appear to be two vent hoses (black surgical tubing that is zipped tied to the left down tube on the frame). The tubing snakes up the frame and is routed up over the left side of the front cyclinder where it splits. One split heads up into the tank, while another half appears headed back toward the rear cyclinder. Again, being new to V-twins, wasn't sure of the function or purpose of this tubing.

Sometimes the stain is more like a spot of oil film, other times a heavier consistency like a real dollop of motor oil. Does not happen every ride. Though today, after a 3 hour ride, I noticed the spot on the floor within 90 minutes of pulling into the garage. This is the first time I've seen the spot so soon after a ride.

Previous owner never reported any leaks or related problems. I got the bike with 1500 miles, and have put on another 1000 miles since then. Oil and spark service was done with the recall work just before I purchased. An experienced rider who has never seen the leak tells me that this is normal venting...I'm not so sure. I'm worried that I may have a worsening problem. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Sounds like venting to me, been reading a lot about that Krank Vent device. If the oil is in farct venting and it bothers you or if you haven't already, you might want to google it.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Have the same thing from time to time. It is the oil venting from the cylinders. I notice my "spots" to be more frequent after a spirited ride when I have really gotten in to the throttle. If it is just small spots located under those vent hoses, you're ok--just venting oil. The krankvent supposedly works.. You may want to check it out. I wouldn't be worried unless you notice oil leaking from other places.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Myself and a few others have asked the same question, some say it's normal venting others say theirs never leak. Mine didn't have the oil spots until after I did the tranny recall. Is the oil level proper and have you done the tranny recall yet?

·
Super Moderator
8,496 Posts
Those are gas tank vent tubes. they gum up fromtime to time and spray carp on you engine cases as well. This is not uncommon.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The breather has a certain amount of blow, and it dumps in your top air box. The air box has a small resivour that collects the oil and dumps it back into the throttle bodies. I think it has an overflow hose or something. Make sense?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the feed back...yes, oil level is fine and tranny recall work was complete just before my purchase. The spots only occur under those two hoses...no sign of leaks, or spray any where else on the bike...so it sounds like this is normal for some Warriors, and I don't have a developing problem. Thanks again...

·
Administrator
28,821 Posts
Plenty of other threads on this. Its that important! One thing, the oil mist etc collected in the stock undertank 'silencer airbox' was on the Yamaha maintenance list to be wiped-out with a rag every time changing air filter or when in the box for any other reason. It was not intended to go into the intakes after all.

Subsequent years saw many dump that silencer airbox in favor of BAK or of course VBAK performance intakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts