RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first Warrior a couple weeks ago. It's a 2005 Midnight and has about 27000 miles on it. I noticed just the other day that there was an oil spot underneath the bike. I haven't been able to look around too much but it seemed to be leaking like right about where the front pully is, but on the bottom middle of the gear box (hopefully that makes sense) right about where there's a gap in the skid plate. Like I said I haven't been able to really look (haven't been riding either) but I was wondering if maybe there's some sorta drain plug around there that it could be leaking from. Or if it's a bigger problem like a gasket or something. I'm almost 100% positive that it wasn't leaking when I got the bike, or for the first week or 2 that I had the bike. I didn't notice the spot until like Friday so I moved the bike and now there's another oil spot. Thanks alot for your help/time/replies...

Lee

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Need more info. Is the bike totaly stock? does it have a BAK? Have you done anything to it since you've owned it? Like changed the oil? First thing I'd do is pull the front pulley cover off and inspect that area. You'll want to check for red dust, possible seepage from seal. Check to see if the front pulley is torqued tight.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Just sounds like your breather filter has to be cleaned. When asking for help, it is good to tell what mods have been done.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The EXACT same thing happened to me when I bought my '04 two years ago. Mine ended up being a loose front pulley nut (like Dice said).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I didn't include this information in my first post. Thanks for
the replies. The bike is completely stock. This might just be the
trusting side of me but the previous owner said he had just changed the
oil 500 miles before I got it. I was planning on changing it here in a
little while. I haven't done a thing to the bike yet. Where's the
breather filter located at? I'll hopefully be able to check out the pully tomorrow. Thanks again

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I'm not sure but it sounds like the area you are describing is the location of one of the the 3 oil drain points. One is the oil filter, two is in under near your shifter but facing out....the last is a 17mm bolt facing down but at an angle near where I think you are describing. I think it is closer to the exhaust side. Don't overtighten it...but see if that is the culprit. Maybe the guy didn't use a new crush washer.

·
Administrator
29,700 Posts
Its a rubber hose exiting the rear of the rear cylinder chrome cover. On stock bikes the rubber hose travels to the airbox to vent. If you don't have the airbox (VBAK or BAK) then the hose is generally run out and down in front of the rear tire (inside the framework). At high RPM this gearbox vent hose can spit oil, what can I say this motor is an animal. Many members who have removed the airbox install a filter on the end of the vent hose - which only needs to be kept clean enough to allow venting otherwise pressure builds-up in other places. I can't be more helpful since your Gallery is empty, but this should cover it.

Since your bike is stock, the vent is venting to the airbox and this is not likely the source of the oil dripping, although sometimes the hose comes loose or the oil seeps out along the right black-colored side cover if ytou're making high-speed passes or smoking the tire.In the absence of this, I'd look elsewhere for the leak.

Wipe everything off, go for a short ride, then look under there?

Warrior_84 said:
Sorry I didn't include this information in my first post. Thanks for the replies. The bike is completely stock. This might just be the trusting side of me but the previous owner said he had just changed the oil 500 miles before I got it. I was planning on changing it here in a little while. I haven't done a thing to the bike yet. Where's the breather filter located at? I'll hopefully be able to check out the pully tomorrow. Thanks again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I wiped the oil off and road around for a minute. When I got back from the ride I check the drain plug and there wasn't more oil around. I uploaded some pictures of where the oil is. They're in my gallery. I did notice a hose coming down the front part of the frame that had oil coming out of it. Going down the road at a good pace I could see the oil getting all over the engine like it has. I don't understand why it's dumping oil out though. The dipstick reads just about in the middle. Thanks again for your help and replies...

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
The hose attached to the down tube should be the gas vent and gas overflow tube, but from the pic it doesn't look like stock to me. Follow that hose up and see where it attachés. If it goes to the cylinder head, then it's been modified and you may need to get a krankvent valve. You may also want to pull the gas tank off to see if the vent hose off the head is attached to the air box or is loose a seeping oil.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried to follow that hose up. Right when it got under the gas tank it met up with like 3 other hoses. I couldn't follow the hose from the head. I'll see if I can get the gas tank off tomorrow or so. So at this point should the bike just be parked until it gets figured out? Or is it safe to ride it as long as the oil level is good?

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Warrior_84 said:
Well I wiped the oil off and road around for a minute. When I got back from the ride I check the drain plug and there wasn't more oil around. I uploaded some pictures of where the oil is. They're in my gallery. I did notice a hose coming down the front part of the frame that had oil coming out of it. Going down the road at a good pace I could see the oil getting all over the engine like it has. I don't understand why it's dumping oil out though. The dipstick reads just about in the middle. Thanks again for your help and replies...

Be careful also that you are checking the oil level properly... if you don't you can get a reading that is totally wrong.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Check the 2 chrome oil lines (from tank to motor) on the exhaust side of engine. they end right above the point you show in your first gallery pic. And that is not the oil drain bolt I mentioned earlier. It is behind that "skid" plate , alongside the shock.

I don't think the gas tank vent hose is your issue . Trace the oil in gallery pic #1 to it's source. I think I have heard of someone on the site having a leak at one of those chrome lines... bad weld ?! Can't remember for sure...will try a search.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So the other day I wiped off the off from the engine. Today I let it warm up a bit, rode it around for probably ten minutes, let it idle for probably 5 minutes and then let it sit for like 15 minutes. Then I checked the oil (of course after wiping off the dipstick first). It was probably a quarter inch below the full tickmark. So this is what I'm thinking might have happened...? Please let me know what you think. A couple weeks back I checked the oil and it was over the full tickmark a little bit (not sure if my procedure was right for checking it that time). Probably a week later I went on a good little ride and rode it pretty hard and got on the throttle pretty good. It was probably a day or so after that that I noticed the oil drip. Well I checked the oil again (and that's when it was at the halfway point on the dipstick. But again I'm not sure if I checked it right) and it was quite a bit lower than the first time I checked it. That's why I was worried about the oil leak. So I moved the bike and it sat there over the weekend while I was gone and when I got back there was another spot of oil on the asphalt (so that's when I posted this problem). Well I wiped the oil off the engine a couple days and there isn't anymore on it. I'm wondering if that ride (when I got on it pretty good) finally caused the engine to kick out that extra oil and that was the oil I'm seeing on the bike... Possible? Thanks again for all your guys help. I appreciate it alot

Lee

1 - 14 of 14 Posts