RS Warrior Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was hoping that you can give your advise on the leak from the oil filter.
I did oil change and used Bosch #3323 filter. After a few days I found a leak between the oil filter and housing. I installed a new filter but very next day, there was a oil puddle under the bike.
Should I go back to original Yamaha filter? I didn’t see any residue on the wall where filter sits. Do I need to replace the oil filter housing? Thank you!

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
A while back ago.
There was a issue with those filters not being concaved enough with cause the filters not to be flush to the housing and there for causing a small leak.

You can pull the filter and tap the center with a hammer and that should solve the problem

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I think I figured out the problem with the Bosch 3323 filters.
From all my oil changed I have used these for 2 different bikes and until last year have always used the red and black labeled 3323 which never gave an issue.
I bought a new 3323 but with a white label and it didn't seal correctly.
I fixed that issue. I compared the new (white label) and old (black label) filters and they were different just on the head where it screws to the bike. I have to find my pics to compare but I think there's 2 types of these 3323 filters wether there miss stamped or produced to be that way.
I also found that there's a ST3323 (white label)with the same specs but about 1/4 shorter but have the correct concave head that seals right.

Omar, what color was the label on the filter we put on yours?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I'm not sure which color tag..
I'll check n post up..
Also remember Rudy when we did the oil change we went with the taller filter

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I'm not sure which color tag..
I'll check n post up..
Also remember Rudy when we did the oil change we went with the taller filter

I'm pretty sure we opened the box and looked at the head to make sure it is the right one or did I hit the center down? I don't remember. Yes, the 3323 Is the taller one.

·
Administrator
27,851 Posts
I recently bought 2 spares for my shelf. I just looked at them. They are white labeled. Dammit.

So it seems it only leaks when warm or under pressure. Once parked it will drip until if cools. Is that right?

I'm certain Bosch will not give any helpful info, I suspect I need to shop my local area and open the boxes in hope's of finding the red painted logo on the black body. It has adequate concave distance for the o-ring to seal before the thread bottoms out.

Thank you for posting this

Crazy.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I recently bought 2 spares for my shelf.
I just looked at them. They are white labeled.
Dammit.

I'm certain Bosch will not give any helpful info, I suspect I need to shop my local area and open the boxes in hope's of finding the red painted logo on the black body. It has adequate concave distance for the o-ring to seal before the thread bottoms out.

Thank you for posting this

Crazy.
Did you have a look at them comparing the head to the black labeled one?

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Hey Rudy..
We opened the box up @ parts store to make sure we had a good one...

·
Administrator
27,851 Posts
I sent a request on Bosch website describing the trouble and asking if there is any awareness of old stock 3323 filters. Obviously I will not receive a helpful reply, if any. I had a few minutes to start investigating oil filters again, been awhile. I need to return the two spares I bought. Ugh.

Has anyone looked at oil filter media and construction and bypass valve numbers recently?

·
Administrator
27,851 Posts
Yep. I wonder if it now has the same trouble?

With Amsoil and the longer filter I can safely go over 6000 miles between oil and filter changes. My own observations even over 6000 miles are the oil is still nearly new looking, just a bit dark but not gritty.

The Yamaha OEM filter is less effective. Possibly just because of size.

Some of the others seem to have bypass valves that open too often. It shows-up at oil change time as a little gritty and darker.

I have a WOT problem, thought about counseling but decided frak that.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
I sent a request on Bosch website describing the trouble and asking if there is any awareness of old stock 3323 filters. Obviously I will not receive a helpful reply, if any. I had a few minutes to start investigating oil filters again, been awhile. I need to return the two spares I bought. Ugh.

Has anyone looked at oil filter media and construction and bypass valve numbers recently?
I did a while back But what I found doesn't say if it's the black or white labeled 3323 or 3300. Even though the pics on both these sites show the black they may be the white also.

Bosch 3323- https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/filters/premium-oil-filters?partID=3323
And -
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=978871

Bosch 3300 -
https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/auto/filters/premium-oil-filters?partID=3300
And-
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=978873

·
Administrator
27,851 Posts
That is what I think too, about what I am seeing online. So I went to half-dozen auto part stores so far, but all have just white tag versions. I agree it's time to check all brands in the market these days. Shades of 2006. Here we go all over again!

Note: I am doing my best to tack a note into my old posts on the 3323 that the design has changed and it drips oil now. Better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
That is what I think too, about what I am seeing online. So I went to half-dozen auto part stores so far, but all have just white tag versions. I agree it's time to check all brands in the market these days. Shades of 2006. Here we go all over again!

Note: I am doing my best to tack a note into my old posts on the 3323 that the design has changed and it drips oil now. Better safe than sorry.
I'm gonna check some local auto parts stores to check their stock also. But we now know that the black labeled ones are what we want and the white labels ones will work but with a small easy modification. Maybe add my pic showing both or pics off the web showing the 2 different ones.
To add just from assumptions, if we see these black ones on eBay or anywhere on the web they may be the white labels ones.
I found a set of 8 for cheap and when I asked which ones they were they turned out to be the white labels so I passed on them.
I also noticed that the boxes they come in are either all black like the black labeled filters or have a white band lable at the upper side of the box which are the white labeled filters.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've had great luck with filters by hiflofiltro.com. the one for the warrior is HF303. And you can get it in chrome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,851 Posts
I looked at the HF303 and the ads seem strong although I like the longer filter and I like to know what the bypass valve rating is but they keep it secret simply saying it meets oe spec. So I have yet to pull that trigger. One time I saw a forum comment about maybe ten thousand miles using synthetic, but cannot find lifetime data on their website or in their catalog. Also I have yet to see someone YouTube a cut-open on a fully used one. It's a vacuum of info.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Yeah I noticed they don't give out a lot of info. I got turned on to them by a small local shop that does a lot of Yamaha work they had a warrior and a bunch of other stuff that they raced on occasion. They got me turned onto the spectro golden 4oil as well so I'm kind of going on faith they know what they're talking about. I never cut open an oil filter before but I'd give it a for my warrior Brothers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I've been getting used to a new to me 05 Warrior with 16k miles. Naturally, the first thing I did was an oil change. I used a Purolator ONE filter. It leaked in the manner discussed in this thread. I got a new OEM filter and replaced the Purolator. At normal filter tightness (contact plus 3/4 turn) it too leaked, though not as badly. I got another filter and a filter wrench (I had damaged the filter tightening it enough to get it to stop leaking.) and put the filter on monster tight. No significant leakage, but I don't like that much tight on an oil filter.

I found that the face of the Purolator is convex rather than concave, much like the non-ST Bosch being discussed here. The Yamaha filter is much more concave. The Purolator filter had a very noticeable circular scrape on the face. The Yamaha filter I removed had slight marring in the same place.

It appears the filters are contacting the large bolt inside the filter well on the engine. This is listed as #18 bolt union 90401-20007-00 on the parts fiche. I've ordered this part and intend to bevel the nut portion a bit to try and either prevent or lessen contact.

Meanwhile I'll be looking for one of the ST3323 Bosch filters to see how it works.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts