RS Warrior Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
I've been getting used to a new to me 05 Warrior with 16k miles. Naturally, the first thing I did was an oil change. I used a Purolator ONE filter. It leaked in the manner discussed in this thread. I got a new OEM filter and replaced the Purolator. At normal filter tightness (contact plus 3/4 turn) it too leaked, though not as badly. I got another filter and a filter wrench (I had damaged the filter tightening it enough to get it to stop leaking.) and put the filter on monster tight. No significant leakage, but I don't like that much tight on an oil filter.

I found that the face of the Purolator is convex rather than concave, much like the non-ST Bosch being discussed here. The Yamaha filter is much more concave. The Purolator filter had a very noticeable circular scrape on the face. The Yamaha filter I removed had slight marring in the same place.

It appears the filters are contacting the large bolt inside the filter well on the engine. This is listed as #18 bolt union 90401-20007-00 on the parts fiche. I've ordered this part and intend to bevel the nut portion a bit to try and either prevent or lessen contact.

Meanwhile I'll be looking for one of the ST3323 Bosch filters to see how it works.
The Bosch is actually purolator. Make sure it's the black labeled Bosch as shown. If not all you have to do is tap the head down some and it'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
I happen to find a black labeled filter. I also ordered what I thought was a black labeled filter which turned out to be a white labeled one. Do not order these filters by depending on the advertised picture Though I will still use the white labeled one.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
When I buy the Bosch filter with either white label or black label..
I always check the filter for concave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
I decided to try one of these. Not cheap it's a taller filter but according to bosh specs It has the best filtering capabilities of their entire line. Absolutely no leaks this is the 2nd one I've had on the bike.

I do amsoil between 4 and 5000 miles never more than 5000.

It's the D3323 The D is for distance.

https://youtu.be/Is3drJ1KMAA

this guy did a cut open on all 3

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,731 Posts
Thanks. I have 2 of the 3323 white label and they observably have less concave shape. If i can use them it's better than tossing them. Plus I have a feeling that into the future this thread will be pointed-out for others having the same questions and troubles. It would be good to have a couple pics of the solution so anyone from any country will understand the fix.

I still have not been able to get a Bosch reply to my website inquiry about the 3323's sudden tendency to leak for lack of adequate concave shape like it had before their change.

Ill see if i can get to it soon. I'll take more pics of both and of the white labeled modified.

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
I decided to try one of these. Not cheap it's a taller filter but according to bosh specs It has the best filtering capabilities of their entire line. Absolutely no leaks this is the 2nd one I've had on the bike.

I do amsoil between 4 and 5000 miles never more than 5000.

It's the D3323 The D is for distance.

https://youtu.be/Is3drJ1KMAA

this guy did a cut open on all 3
The problem is the newer designs on the head base' s not being concaved enough to screw on and seal the gasket tight enough. The good black labeled 3323 filters are still out there but have been fading away while being over taken by the newer 3323's. If those D3323 weren't as popular as the regular 3323's it may be a while till there faded out aswell. Maybe I'll take a trip to the auto parts store and compare the 2 3323's I have. Btw, For me and many it was the filter being black that made it popular here (on top of quality and cost)

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
I had time this morning to search the D3323 and it seems its out-of-stock at every store local to me. Also I see the listed price is over $20.00 in every case. Even at Walmart (although they had an older ad for $12 but it also said no-stock).

Something is going on. Maybe Bosch is correcting things across the 3323 line?
Hmm, well hopfully they fix the issue. I did see others on car groups complaining about them and purolater (I think that's the one but can't remember for sure) which they make them for Bosch I think.
It would be good to get them back to normal. If they do maybe they'll change the box and lable to be able to tell the good to the bad ones.

·
Administrator
27,731 Posts
I agree with you Rudy.

I was unable to find any in local stock in three auto part stores near me. Had other things to get done. But between this bit of time and my web search this morning I wonder if Bosch recalled them. Or maybe they have become super popular. Lines out the door to buy 'em. :)

Seiously tho, I realize some other stores have stock, probably. But I have never gone to an auto part store with none of any version in stock. Online I found a couple places advertising D3323 which is said to not leak at this point in time, priced for over twenty bucks a copy, but no stock. I found some ST3323 but we don't know if it leaks. I found ads picturing the 3323 'black' that we know have so-far turned out to be 3323 white label which is known to leak. Ugh. BTW the two 3323-white-label filters I have both measure concave ~4.75mm flat of un-compressed o-ring to high-point of mount face. When I have time I will measure with a machinest's flat and depth gauge, but its probably not going to yield a more-useful dimension. I'll also try swinging a ball-peen hammer at one of the white-label 3323's that I have on my shelf then re-measure. Does anyone have a different measured-dimension on any of these versions of this filter?

Adding: I just measured four other brands fitting the same vehicles, all of them measure concave ~8mm (but none are known to match the bypass valve psi spec we need). Visually these seem the same concave as the original 3323 black, just guessing tho. That store does not sell Bosch . . so again no luck on measuring.

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
Any chance anyone else has new info to add, or has anyone measured the original black 3323 from top of seal down to top of mounting face at threaded mount point?
I have the original black lable ones, newer white lable ones and the white lable 3323 ST ones which mount good like the black lable but about 1/4" shorter. I'll see about getting them out.
I've been meaning to take pics w/ measurements.

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)

·
Administrator
27,731 Posts
Rudy this will be a great help, thank you. I received a reply from Bosch USA so I now have an 'ear' to speak-into on this. The concave dimension change cannot be impacting just this bike, it must certainly I would think be impacting cars too. Maybe motivation.

I put a machinest's flat across the o-ring and measured down to the part of the face around the female threaded hole where it hits the bike during tightening. The dimension I reported earlier remains accurate enough.

I do not believe there is enough tightening space on the Warriors male thread mount to accomodate, simply due to design.

·
Premium Member
2,587 Posts
Ok, so I got a bunch of pics and measurements.
The Older 3323 (Black label), Current newer 3323 (White label) and just to add in since I had it a 3323ST (White label)(Not sure about the factory specs on the 3323ST yet.)

(Maybe we should start a new thread on this filter and a usable fix ?)

I took pics of these areas-

1 Box and label comparison
2 Filter height comparison
3 Top comparison
4 Center face comparison
5 Inside comparison

1 Box and label comparison-

2 Filter height comparison-

3 Top comparison-

4 Center face comparison-

5 Inside comparison -

I took measurements with pics of these areas-
1 Base diameter
2 Height with the rubber gasket
3 Height without the rubber gasket
4 Height of the rubber gaskets
5 Thickness of the rubber gaskets
6 Depth of the gasket seats on the filters
7 Depth of the inside of the filters
8 Depth of the threaded flange area just outside the threads to flush with rubber gasket

1 Base diameter -

2 Height with the rubber gasket-

3 Height without the rubber gasket-

4 Height of the rubber gaskets -

5 Thickness of the rubber gaskets

6 Depth of the gasket seats on the filters-

7 Depth of the inside of the filters

8 Depth of the threaded flange area just outside the threads to flush with rubber gasket-

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts